banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'64 Custom Deluxe Reverb or '65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '64 Custom Deluxe Reverb or '65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue?

In a previous post, you nice people convinced me to go with a Deluxe Reverb over the Princeton. Now, I may have the possibility of acquiring the hand-wired '64 Custom Deluxe Reverb. I am looking to get a Deluxe which stays with me in the long-term so I don't mind paying extra for quality. Could anyone tell me how this compared to the normal DRRI? Is it worth the extra money? I tried finding soundclips or videos of a direct comparison between the two but no luck.

Re: '64 Custom Deluxe Reverb or '65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue?

I would be interesting to know the likely cost differential between a real late 60's fender (early silverfaces are the same as Blackface) and one of the handwired reissues. They do seem very expensive.....as all of these more recent boutique releases from Fender have been.

I have taken my 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb and upgraded tubes and speaker.......even with the MIM level that mine is, you can get amazing vintage type tones (and this is according to the guy who works on my amp at my local music store) without an awful lot of money spent.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
      I would be interesting to know the likely cost differential between a real late 60's fender (early silverfaces are the same as Blackface) and one of the handwired reissues. They do seem very expensive.....as all of these more recent boutique releases from Fender have been.

I have taken my 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb and upgraded tubes and speaker.......even with the MIM level that mine is, you can get amazing vintage type tones (and this is according to the guy who works on my amp at my local music store) without an awful lot of money spent.
      I would want something new that I can age myself and I am looking for something I don't want to change. From what I've heard, the '64 is pretty much perfect out of the box. I'm also thinking that decades from now these hand-wired amps will be collectable as well.

Comment

'Perfect' is something only you can decide. And you are certainly not going to get the typical clip to get the differences to stand out.

Another common opinion is that the HW ones are nicer than the regular ones, but both are not a patch on originals.....or even the 65 beats an original - according to others. So there are an ocean of opinions out there, and depending on just how belligerent/judgmental the person holding the view you will get varying degrees of accuracy, or 'strategic listening'.
        Many people seem to say the 65 is thinner toned than the 64.

As to upgrades - well, if the 64 comes with Groove tubes (like my 68 did) then they are certainly something well worth swapping out. Some of the GT models are pretty bland tubes.
        Either way you need to try one or both in person.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
          'Perfect' is something only you can decide. And you are certainly not going to get the typical clip to get the differences to stand out.

Another common opinion is that the HW ones are nicer than the regular ones, but both are not a patch on originals.....or even the 65 beats an original - according to others. So there are an ocean of opinions out there, and depending on just how belligerent/judgmental the person holding the view you will get varying degrees of accuracy, or 'strategic listening'.
          Many people seem to say the 65 is thinner toned than the 64.

As to upgrades - well, if the 64 comes with Groove tubes (like my 68 did) then they are certainly something well worth swapping out. Some of the GT models are pretty bland tubes.
          Either way you need to try one or both in person.
          The tube change is a given, yes. Unfortunately, I can't demo them anytime soon.

Comment

I mean, if you went the 64, you would never die wondering.
            The reason why I went the 68 was the issues people had with the bright cap on the vintage channel in the 65. Also in Aus they were much cheaper. I'm a tinkerer too - So I ended up with an Alnico Cream speaker in there.

Luckily I had a small stock of old RCA tubes which did for the preamp/driver section. I run the poweramp section with the more rugged end of regular production tubes, given that the Deluxe is really too much bias for the typical 6V6 and tends to chew through them even running low volume as I do.

Comment

if i was looking at the '64 handwired vs the 65 ri and wasnt concerned about the cost, id go '64 every time. solid pine box is a plus and handwired means its a lifetime amp. if something craps out, it can be easily replaced. the trem is bias modulated which is cooler than opto, reverb and trem on both channels, slightly tweaked eq. the c12q may be cool but ive been using celestions in my old deluxe for most of the time ive owned it

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                if i was looking at the '64 handwired vs the 65 ri and wasnt concerned about the cost, id go '64 every time. solid pine box is a plus and handwired means its a lifetime amp. if something craps out, it can be easily replaced. the trem is bias modulated which is cooler than opto, reverb and trem on both channels, slightly tweaked eq. the c12q may be cool but ive been using celestions in my old deluxe for most of the time ive owned it
                Thank you, Jeremy. What Celestions are you using, and how do they compare to the C12Q?

Comment

currently i have a weber recone g12h-30 55hz (was a v30 in a previous life) but ive used a g12h, v30, and old 65 in there with good results. used a cannabis rex for a while and that is great too but a bit too efficient for my current needs. the jensen will be bright and a little reedy when the amp is overdriven, not bad at all but different than what im used to. probably not super efficient which depending on what you want, might be nice as well. i would get the amp and play it stock for a while before i started messing with anything

Comment

Something nice about using an efficient speaker like the G12H30 is that the amp will be louder and seem to have more clean headroom. It might perform better with a band on stage.

But if you're looking for natural overdrive and distortion at a low volume the Celestion V30 or G12H30 might not be what you want.

I've had both a V30 and a G12H30 in my 60's blackface DR. I always considered either an improvement.

The G12H30 is less aggressive, smoother and has more bass. I prefer it.

Bear in mind that Celestions only have four holes for mounting screws.

If your amp has eight screws you'll have to cut four off or drill four holes in your Celestion.
                    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

One speaker you might want to consider is the WGS GT-12C. Got one in a trade a while back and it wound up in my Zinky Blue Velvet 25 watt combo. Vox did a special edition of the AC 15 with this speaker and they are very nice for an amp voiced like a Deluxe! Had G12H Vin 30 and 75 Celestians preferred the WGS to all.
                      Last edited by Ascension; 07-09-2020, 09:57 PM.
                      Guitars
                      Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                      Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
                        One speaker you might want to consider is teh WGS GT-12C. Got one in a trade a while back and it wound up in my Zinky Blue Velvet 25 watt combo. Vox did a special edition of the AC 15 with this speaker and they are very nice for an amp voiced like a Deluxe!
                        Those ARE some nice speakers! A friend of mine has them in a Pro Reverb and I really like his sound. They're kind of a blend of American and British speaker tone. Reasonable price too.
                        “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

I think there were some special versions of the DR that have pine cabs. I dig the weight of the pine cabs.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I'd go with the handwired if the cost is no problem.

B
                            FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Originally posted by dr.barlo View Post
                              I'd go with the handwired if the cost is no problem.

B
                              Thank you, Barlo! Cost is still an issue but I'd rather spend on this than have to spend along the way to upgrade parts in a different amp. Also, I know it will be on my mind if I don't get it.

Comment

Working...
                              X