banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bespoke Pedalboard/Loop selector switch circuit routing (help!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bespoke Pedalboard/Loop selector switch circuit routing (help!)

Click image for larger version

Name:	pedalboard.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	5854700

The idea is I want each pedal to have four on/off (and/or) buttons next to it that will assign them to one or more channels. When not assigned to the selected channel, that pedal will need to be bypassed. If a similar product already exists and has a circuit diagram I could probably just use that

I think it's just a matter of routing switches in the right order, but I can't quite get my head around it. Also how many terminals I will need. And also how do I get the channel switches to "trip" each other - i.e so that only one is selected at a time. Does that need to be done mechanically?

As a supplementary - if you know of some compact push on/off switches I could use, that would be helpful.

I hope that all makes sense, let me know if I need to clarify
    Last edited by FrankensteinsLobster; 07-08-2020, 12:52 PM.

Re: Bespoke Pedalboard/Loop selector switch circuit routing (help!)

I'm pretty sure you can configure a Gigrig G2 to do that.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
      I'm pretty sure you can configure a Gigrig G2 to do that.
      Probably a good time to mention I don't have $1500 to blow on a pedal switcher. I kind of like my idea better anyway.

Comment

What do you mean by “channel”, you mean what is typically called a “patch”?

Get a Joyo PXL8.

(The Carl Martin Octoswitch does what you are thinking about doing, it has 8 patches and 8 loops. It uses DIP switches to select which loops are active with each patch. The older GigRig switcher operated that way too)
        Last edited by PFDarkside; 07-08-2020, 01:46 PM.
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
          What do you mean by “channel”, you mean what is typically called a “patch”?

Get a Joyo PXL8.

(The Carl Martin Octoswitch does what you are thinking about doing, it has 8 patches and 8 loops. It uses DIP switches to select which loops are active with each patch. The older GigRig switcher operated that way too)
          No I meant channel.

Yeah actually after I just saw the last post about the gigrig and googled it, the Joyo thing came up alongside it. It's 200 bucks, so i ordered one. Seems to do what I need.

I spent the other night trying to scour ebay for loop-switchers and neither of those things came up. All I could find was LS-2s and OC AB switches (which is what I ended up settling on). Ebay has a really horrible search system. Unfortunately, in Australia, eBay is all there really is. Amazon is useless and Gumtree just gets you stabbed, everyone on Facebook marketplace wants RRP for used goods. It's an expensive place to live.

Would still be interested to know if my circuit idea is feasible, if someone's keen to solve a puzzle. I'd still prefer that method and it'd be a neat project.
          Last edited by FrankensteinsLobster; 07-08-2020, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FrankensteinsLobster View Post
            No I meant channel.

Yeah actually after I just saw the last post about the gigrig and googled it, the Joyo thing came up alongside it. It's 200 bucks, so i ordered one. Seems to do what I need.

I spent the other night trying to scour ebay for loop-switchers and neither of those things came up. All I could find was LS-2s and OC AB switches (which is what I ended up settling on). Ebay has a really horrible search system. Unfortunately, in Australia, eBay is all there really is. Amazon is useless and Gumtree just gets you stabbed, everyone on Facebook marketplace wants RRP for used goods. It's an expensive place to live.

Would still be interested to know if my circuit idea is feasible, if someone's keen to solve a puzzle. I'd still prefer that method and it'd be a neat project.
            Ok, let’s say “preset”. You aren’t sending it to 4 different output channels are you? Are you feeding 4 different amps? (If so, it could be a completely different solution)

If you want 4 selectable presets, each with specific pedals active, the Joyo should work well. Remember you need two cables for each pedal loop. I’m a huge fan of switchers, eliminating tap dancing live is great.
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
              Ok, let’s say “preset”. You aren’t sending it to 4 different output channels are you? Are you feeding 4 different amps? (If so, it could be a completely different solution)

If you want 4 selectable presets, each with specific pedals active, the Joyo should work well. Remember you need two cables for each pedal loop. I’m a huge fan of switchers, eliminating tap dancing live is great.
              Reminds me of that time I asked a guy about a neck pocket and he replied "umm.. I think you mean neck 'seating".

What?

Anyway, nobody with any talent is wasting time arguing semantics. It's usually embittered 30 somethings, with their late-surging hormones, trying to claw something back from their missed opportunities.. with their Eric Clapton signatures.. Actually, thanks for reminding me to buy more 'preset' cables
              Last edited by FrankensteinsLobster; 07-08-2020, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Reminds me of that time I asked a guy about a neck pocket and he replied "umm.. I think you mean neck 'seating".

What?

Anyway, nobody with any talent is wasting time arguing semantics. It's usually embittered 30 somethings, with their late-surging hormones, trying to claw something back from their missed opportunities.. with their Eric Clapton signatures.. Actually, thanks for reminding me to buy more 'preset' cables
                I’m not trying to argue semantics, just trying to make sure I understand what goal you want to accomplish.

If I understand correctly the Joyo should work well. Then you can have your original idea as a fun project as well.
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

What?

Well in this case the semantics make a difference. A channel, preset, and patch are 3 very different things, and depending on which one you want you'll get 3 different answers.

If you want an example of how big a difference this sort of thing makes, a few months ago we had a guy who suffered from bridge problems that got drawn out and heated just because nobody could accurately communicate that his problem boiled down to him using high tension springs with low tension strings.

But FWIW, I say your original idea is a great idea and could be a cool project to spend an afternoon or so on.

If I find the time I can come up with a diagram for you. It may not be for some time though, I'm one of the few people that's found themselves having more work with this pandemic.
                  Last edited by Chistopher; 07-08-2020, 04:12 PM.
                  You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                  Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                    Well in this case the semantics make a difference. A channel, preset, and patch are 3 very different things, and depending on which one you want you'll get 3 different answers.

If you want an example of how big a difference this sort of thing makes, a few months ago we had a guy who suffered from bridge problems that got drawn out and heated just because nobody could accurately communicate that his problem boiled down to him using high tension springs with low tension strings.
                    Well that's just ridiculous :P Although actually it's interesting you mention that. I just tuned my "metal" guitar (with floyd rose) down from C to B - just to make life easier for bass players - and have noticed it's gone from sounding really nice to way out of tune. I haven't adjusted the springs yet, though. Would loosening/tightening the claw help? Is the bridge supposed to sit flat or should I tighten it back? They already have 56-12s on them, which is pretty much the equivalent of 9s in B. I notice the strings bend a bit too much when I fret them, but I'm not sure if that's the bridge or the strings.

Just looking at my effects amp (it's a Spider II - shutup, it has the UK celestions, it's crystal clear, I don't use the in-built effects anymore - it has loads of headroom and when I want gain i use a pre-amp like a sensible person) the 'presets' are labelled "CHANNEL" A, B, C and D.
                    Last edited by FrankensteinsLobster; 07-08-2020, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Well I guess misusing words that aren't quite interchangeable, vibrato and tremolo for example, is one of the backbones of guitar history. It could also be running different channels instead of changing the settings, but I'm not familiar with that amp so I couldn't tell you either way.

And yeah, if the Floyd isn't parallel to the body, you'll need to tighten or loosen the springs. The tension on the springs needs to be equal to the tension on the strings. And you'll probably need to adjust the intonation as well, given you changed both tuning and the string guage.
                      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                        Well I guess misusing words that aren't quite interchangeable, vibrato and tremolo for example, is one of the backbones of guitar history. It could also be running different channels instead of changing the settings, but I'm not familiar with that amp so I couldn't tell you either way.

And yeah, if the Floyd isn't parallel to the body, you'll need to tighten or loosen the springs. The tension on the springs needs to be equal to the tension on the strings. And you'll probably need to adjust the intonation as well, given you changed both tuning and the string guage.
                        Yeah I'll definitely stick with 'whammy bar'. Vibrato maybe. But tremolo? A whammy bar does a couple of things - but none of them is anything close to "tremolo".

Thanks for the tip. I'm conscious of intonation, but it's fine up the neck. Where it sounds out of tune is on the open A minor (i.e E minor transposed). It also doesn't have a 0 fret, which might account for the 'bend' when fretting those notes. It's diving straight from the locking nut into the first fret

Comment

I use a Rocktron switcher for the OP problem. Works awesome. Multiple stored routes. Almost like having a half dozen pedal boards (though using the same collection of pedals).

Comment

Working...
                          X