Problems with combining SD and DiMarzio pickups for HSS setup on strat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with combining SD and DiMarzio pickups for HSS setup on strat

Hi everyone, I'm having some issues with my new setup. I have an American Strat. I just bought a DiMarzio Super Distortion S pickup for my bridge (it has 4 wires plus bare ground wire). I have a SD SSL-5 in the neck and an SD SSL-1 (RWRP) in the middle. I finally figured out how to install the DiMarzio to cancel any hum in the 4th position using the attached diagram. However, my 4th position sounds very bright/thin and low in volume, which makes me feel like the DiMarzio Super Distortion and the SSL-1 (RWRP) are out of phase. How can I go about fixing this? I do also have an SD SSL-1 (non RWRP) which I'm not using. Not sure if that could somehow fix my problem. I obviously cannot just switch my middle and neck positions as one is an SSL-1 and the other is SSL-5. Any advice would be appreciated. If someone has a diagram that would be applicable to this scenario that would be helpful. I'm basically trying to set it up so it's hum cancelling at positions 2 and 4, and none of the pickups are out of phase with each other.

Thanks,
    Attached Files

Re: Problems with combining SD and DiMarzio pickups for HSS setup on strat

you should be able to make the split dimarzio and rw/rp ssl1 cancel hum and be in phase. if you are cancelling hum now but out of phase you need to flip the phase of the split coil. i dont know the dimarzio color codes well enough to know what you need to flip off the top of my head, but it can be done. what wires are you using as hot and ground now?

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
      you should be able to make the split dimarzio and rw/rp ssl1 cancel hum and be in phase. if you are cancelling hum now but out of phase you need to flip the phase of the split coil. i dont know the dimarzio color codes well enough to know what you need to flip off the top of my head, but it can be done. what wires are you using as hot and ground now?
      Thanks Jeremy. I'm using Dimarzio's black wire as hot and white wire (along with bare wire) as ground. I have the green and red wires wired together and connected to the selector switch just like the original diagram i sent. The pic I'm attaching to this response shows how each wire is color coded for DiMarzio. That might be helpful to you.
      Attached Files

Comment

The Dimarzio single coils have opposite polarity to Duncan's SSLs.
        You can use the diagram in post #1 but you need to swap the black and white wires on the Super D. So white goes to the switch, then black+bare to ground. Leave the red + grn where they are and you will have hum cancelling in Pos2 bridge/middle.

Comment

Originally posted by Teleplayer View Post
          The Dimarzio single coils have opposite polarity to Duncan's SSLs.
          You can use the diagram in post #1 but you need to swap the black and white wires on the Super D. So white goes to the switch, then black+bare to ground. Leave the red + grn where they are and you will have hum cancelling in Pos2 bridge/middle.
          Perfect, ill try that. I was under the impression that the rwrp ssl-1 in the middle would solve the polarity issue.

Comment

Dimarzio single coils have two differences from Duncan. 1) They are opposite polarity like a Fender pickup, 2) Neck pickup is North magnetic polarity, and their middle pickup having "-S" option would be South magnetic.

When you swap the black and white wires of the Super D like i suggested above, both differences 1) and 2) will be solved. It will be using the Bridge side coil of the Super D in position 2, but there isn't any realistic alternative if you want hum-cancelling using the pickups you have, in the positions you want to use them.

Comment

Originally posted by Razzle1980 View Post
              Thanks Jeremy. I'm using Dimarzio's black wire as hot and white wire (along with bare wire) as ground. I have the green and red wires wired together and connected to the selector switch just like the original diagram i sent. The pic I'm attaching to this response shows how each wire is color coded for DiMarzio. That might be helpful to you.
              Dimarzio is red = hot, green = ground. Black and white together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hi guys, I appreciate everyone's response in helping me resolve this issue. I switched the black and white wires and that seems to resolve the issue. Position 2 is stronger than before, but still a bit low in volume which I'm assuming is normal. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                X