Neural DSP Users?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neural DSP Users?

As some of you know, I recently picked up the Archetype: Nolly suite by Neural DSP and I'm absolutely loving it, especially for my intended use at home. I totally see major recording potential with it, as well. Everything about it is just SO good and its an incredibly attractive/straightforward design!

Anyone else here really digging the Neural stuff?

If you haven't tried any yet, Neural offers free demos for all of their plug-ins and they just released an Archetype: Cory Wong suite this week that is already getting rave reviews for it's exceptional clean, funk and mild drive tones!

As for me, I'm currently awaiting a sale on the Plini and/or Fortin "Cali" packages

BTW, Neural is also entering the high-end floorboard market this Fall with their Quad-Cortex, so I think they'll become a much bigger name in the near future. If you haven't heard of the QC yet, it's likely to be at the top of its game once released! Here's a link: LINK

Re: Neural DSP Users?

I've been looking at the Quad, and I'd love to see some demo videos comparing it to other expensive modelers.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I got the Plini, Omega and Cali and they are probably the best sounding plugins imho. Especially the Plini is very versatile. It can pretty do everything from good clean to high gain.

Comment

I agree! They're friggin' awesome!

I was hoping for a deal on the Fortin Cali suite and it just showed up today...30% off using code "TENSECONDSONGS"

Went ahead and snagged it. Can't wait to put it through its paces later!

Comment

Cool, I bought it with the release discount. It’s a really solid plugin thought perhaps not so versatile as the Plini or Nolly.

The upcoming Quad Cortex will probably be awesome for live usage.

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
          I agree! They're friggin' awesome!

I was hoping for a deal on the Fortin Cali suite and it just showed up today...30% off using code "TENSECONDSONGS"

Went ahead and snagged it. Can't wait to put it through its paces later!

Comment

Did anyone ever end up ordering a QC? I'm in the 2nd tier of pre-orders just waiting for it to ship. Everything I've seen and heard so far seems like it's going to be a winner of a product. I'm planning to make it the heart of my new guitar rig for studio work. If anyone is interested I can post some updates once they finally ship.

Comment

Originally posted by RexRemus View Post
              Did anyone ever end up ordering a QC? I'm in the 2nd tier of pre-orders just waiting for it to ship. Everything I've seen and heard so far seems like it's going to be a winner of a product. I'm planning to make it the heart of my new guitar rig for studio work. If anyone is interested I can post some updates once they finally ship.
              Ive been following it's progress.

While the amp tones are flagship level, it is reported that there are many creature comfort type features missing, and that the effect list is quite thin. There was concern that based on the relatively slow development pace of the plugins, that it could be "forever" til these are added.

I think the major draw is that it has profiling like the kemper.

Ive been comparing FM3 to GT1000 for my next processor, and sound demos are roughly equal. I dont hear a compelling reason to pick one over the other, sound quality is roughly equal. The fm has more models, the GT has more features. The fm3 is probably better for an amp nerd, someone who wants tons of amp models. THe gt is better in immediate patch switching, spillover, assigns, breadth of fx, but it has a relatively thin palette of amps.

The neural DSP would have to sound convincingly better than the fm3 and GT in order to make up for the lack of other features. And the price isn't cheap.

I think its best to wait on the Neural to see the pace of development and if it can flesh out its feature list. Unless you want to be an early adopter because its fun to do that.

I've have heard all devices and we are at point of diminishing returns in sound quality. Features, switching, price are what separate them.

I need to know: Does it have FX spillover? What kind of patch/scene scheme have the worked out? Does it have unique effects like acoustic sim, square/sine wave, slow gear, oscillators, etc? How is the user interface? Does it have 3 channel amp switching? how is the noise reduction? Does it need a proprietary "hum buster" cable to deal with ground loops? How is the usb interface? Latency? Does it have bluetooth remote control? Midi or midi over usb? Midi programmability? Etc. etc. Those things matter and until we get a hands on no one knows.

Also, its a reasonably big device that doesn't have a pedal. When you add a pedal you are getting close to 2K price. Lots of hype for something that is going to be very much like the other things on the market, and that is IFF they can add all those other features that it currently does not have.

I don't have a good feeling about it, they are starting so far behind in the area of what it means to be a hardware FX processor. Fractal has ten+ years. Boss has 30+ years. And they arent a tiny chinese company in the game of stealing algorithms and churning out cheap devices. The neural has to compete blow for blow on the big boy features.
              Last edited by Top-L; 01-22-2021, 07:03 PM.

Comment

I use an FM3, but haven't tried either the GT1000 or any of the Neural DSP products. The hardest thing to get used to on the FM3 is how to use the 3 switches.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post

Ive been following it's progress.

While the amp tones are flagship level, it is reported that there are many creature comfort type features missing, and that the effect list is quite thin. There was concern that based on the relatively slow development pace of the plugins, that it could be "forever" til these are added.

I think the major draw is that it has profiling like the kemper.

Ive been comparing FM3 to GT1000 for my next processor, and sound demos are roughly equal. I dont hear a compelling reason to pick one over the other, sound quality is roughly equal. The fm has more models, the GT has more features. The fm3 is probably better for an amp nerd, someone who wants tons of amp models. THe gt is better in immediate patch switching, spillover, assigns, breadth of fx, but it has a relatively thin palette of amps.

The neural DSP would have to sound convincingly better than the fm3 and GT in order to make up for the lack of other features. And the price isn't cheap.

I think its best to wait on the Neural to see the pace of development and if it can flesh out its feature list. Unless you want to be an early adopter because its fun to do that.

I've have heard all devices and we are at point of diminishing returns in sound quality. Features, switching, price are what separate them.

I need to know: Does it have FX spillover? What kind of patch/scene scheme have the worked out? Does it have unique effects like acoustic sim, square/sine wave, slow gear, oscillators, etc? How is the user interface? Does it have 3 channel amp switching? how is the noise reduction? Does it need a proprietary "hum buster" cable to deal with ground loops? How is the usb interface? Latency? Does it have bluetooth remote control? Midi or midi over usb? Midi programmability? Etc. etc. Those things matter and until we get a hands on no one knows.

Also, its a reasonably big device that doesn't have a pedal. When you add a pedal you are getting close to 2K price. Lots of hype for something that is going to be very much like the other things on the market, and that is IFF they can add all those other features that it currently does not have.

I don't have a good feeling about it, they are starting so far behind in the area of what it means to be a hardware FX processor. Fractal has ten+ years. Boss has 30+ years. And they arent a tiny chinese company in the game of stealing algorithms and churning out cheap devices. The neural has to compete blow for blow on the big boy features.
                  I believe they have stated that reverb/delay tails will continue between patch switches. And you're right, it's a cutting edge product in some ways, and falls short in a few others - though I think the key is that it falls short in software implementation and not hardware capabilities as that as least heralds the possibility of getting things sorted in future releases. Including things like additional pedals/fx and more amp models, but having profiling and an easy way for community sharing of them goes a long way to "mask" the lack of models it'll ship with - that being said I think it's still planned to ship with ~50 models and several captures on top, so you've still got something like 70 "amps" to choose from out of the box so that's enough to keep me busy for a while anyway.

I think your critiques are fair and I agree that at this point many of the high-end ampsims are down to utterly minute differences and all of them do a very good job. My hope is that Neural once they can focus purely on software dev updates and not mixing time between hardware/software beta testing will deliver updates at a solid pace - they need to PROVE that, for sure, but I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for now (hence why I bought in to early adoption).

If there's anything you want to see specifically once mine arrives let me know and I can try it out and respond. But I agree they need to catch up in a few key places. I plan to use mine for studio stuff mostly so the lack of certain "gig" features doesn't impact me much so I'm not as worried about some of those items as you.

Comment

Originally posted by RexRemus View Post

I believe they have stated that reverb/delay tails will continue between patch switches. And you're right, it's a cutting edge product in some ways, and falls short in a few others - though I think the key is that it falls short in software implementation and not hardware capabilities as that as least heralds the possibility of getting things sorted in future releases. Including things like additional pedals/fx and more amp models, but having profiling and an easy way for community sharing of them goes a long way to "mask" the lack of models it'll ship with - that being said I think it's still planned to ship with ~50 models and several captures on top, so you've still got something like 70 "amps" to choose from out of the box so that's enough to keep me busy for a while anyway.

I think your critiques are fair and I agree that at this point many of the high-end ampsims are down to utterly minute differences and all of them do a very good job. My hope is that Neural once they can focus purely on software dev updates and not mixing time between hardware/software beta testing will deliver updates at a solid pace - they need to PROVE that, for sure, but I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for now (hence why I bought in to early adoption).

If there's anything you want to see specifically once mine arrives let me know and I can try it out and respond. But I agree they need to catch up in a few key places. I plan to use mine for studio stuff mostly so the lack of certain "gig" features doesn't impact me much so I'm not as worried about some of those items as you.
                    Sure, any hands on experience is appreciated. I bet once its released there will be a ton of hands on and unboxing videos.

Its a bit out of my price range. One thing I do like about it is that its a flagship floor processor. The Axe FX3 flagship is rack and needs external controllers. At least this has onboard switches, I think there is a gap in the fractal lineup atm for something like the QC.

My thoughts on profiling are that its not for me, as I don't have many/any rigs I want to profile. But for the right user its a killer feature.

Apparently with the Kemper once you deviate from the base profile by altering gain and eq it gets away from what the real amp sounds like. If they are able to profile the sweep of each EQ knob and gain knob, that would be impressive! Otherwise its just a million snapshots of different amps. If I want a different tone its easier for me to modify EQ/cab/mic/speaker sims than it is to audition thousands of profiles. Thats just me.

I have it narrowed down to the FM3 and GT1000. The Headrush is thin in features and lacks amp switching. The QC is too expensive for me. I don't like how the Helix distortions sound (they are compressed and smooth almost to a fault, but fun to play.) Not many other choices.

Comment

Copying the EQ of an amp or even an effect is base level, entry level processing.

Comment

Not sure if it answers any/most of your questions, Top-L, but have you seen this video?

I do know that on his own social media, Rabea has said it's hands-down the best feeling/sounding modeler he's ever put his hands on (which surely includes the Helix, Kemper, etc) and the capture is second to none!

Last edited by Masta' C; 01-25-2021, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Yes, I've seen that one.

The strange thing is... every demo of it that I've heard sounds like that same bright Marshall, like they've only got a few models in there now.

Comment

Well, that was a pre-production sample and I think they mentioned in passing that it didn't have the complete amp library or fully-featured software that would be available at launch.

Based on the December updates, the current software has 52 guitar amp models (LINK) plus 7 amp captures (LINK)

Basically, there's no reason to sell it short just yet

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
                              Well, that was a pre-production sample and I think they mentioned in passing that it didn't have the complete amp library or fully-featured software that would be available at launch.

Based on the December updates, the current software has 52 guitar amp models (LINK) plus 7 amp captures (LINK)

Basically, there's no reason to sell it short just yet
                              I'm not selling it short, I just think that once its released, it will sound like the other ones. They can all be made to sound the same with the right IR or EQ. Feel is debatable, some people think the Gt1000 feels better than the Axe FX. Other people say the GT is junk and not at that level. Some people love the way the Helix feels.

Its not going to change the modeling landscape one iota. As its a higher priced device, it wont put any downward pricing pressure on the other ones. And it doesnt have any features the other ones dont. Just the "hope" that it sounds or feels better.

If it does anything, it will cannibalize sales of Kemper. Its basically a Kemper with a nicer interface. (It might steal some customers from Fractal too.)

I'm about to upgrade to a GT1000. You know the feature it has that I really want? It has global blocks, so you can set up an amp block and and EQ block (any block really) to be global across a set of patches. That means, when I tweak the amp and EQ block, I don't have to do it in every patch. This will make patch management a breeze, I can set up one or two amp archetypes that are used by all my patches. If I change guitars, I can just twist the EQ knobs to make it work for that guitar and I won't have to reprogram all my patches. Its the closest to working just like a physical amp and pedals. Because it has instant patch switching and spillover, it doesn't have to introduce concepts like scenes or snapshots.

Last edited by Top-L; 01-26-2021, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X