banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did you guys know this about Seth Lover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did you guys know this about Seth Lover?

He designed the GA amp series for Gibson!

These are my favorite Gibson amps.

I have two of these 50's GA20's.

Ry Cooder likes them too!
    Attached Files
    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Re: Did you guys know this about Seth Lover?

Here's some more amps from the GA series. That's an early GA20 top left.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Lewguitar; 07-09-2020, 08:17 AM.

Comment

ive played some old gibson amps, thought they were great. a few 50's models and few early 60's. a friend has a ga40 thats his main amp and he makes it sound great. didnt know seth designed them, thats pretty cool. most of the amps of the era were designed around tube manuals so there was a fair amount of similarity. gibson definitely had some classy looking stuff back then

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
        ive played some old gibson amps, thought they were great. a few 50's models and few early 60's. a friend has a ga40 thats his main amp and he makes it sound great. didnt know seth designed them, thats pretty cool. most of the amps of the era were designed around tube manuals so there was a fair amount of similarity. gibson definitely had some classy looking stuff back then
        The "secret" to getting a great tone from my GA20's is one I read about in an interview with Ry Cooder: plug into the MICROPHONE input.

Has a lot more volume and gain.

I like these amps as much as a tweed Deluxe. Maybe more!

Comment

At some point, amps stopped looking like a cool living room appliance. We need more amps that look like that.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            At some point, amps stopped looking like a cool living room appliance. We need more amps that look like that.
            Yeah I like that exaggerated style, especially the wood, one of those gibsons would have looked beautiful and right at home on my last boat.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              They remind me of old suitcases. They weren't trying to look rock n roll. Rock hadn't been invented yet. My GA20's are pre-Elvis.

Comment

A handful of modern amps have that 50s look to them, perfect for next to the hi-fi or the console TV.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The GA Gibson amps are underrated. Most of them used the same Astrons used in tweed amps of the same era. Irons were usually smaller than their tweed counterparts which made them saturate a bit more than the tweeds. They are great bang for buck. If you got a trem in the amp, noted by the "T", you had this lush tube driven tremolo (you could play chords all day with a smile). Never owned one of the earlier to mid GA 20s. I have owned restored many of these amps since they are tweaked tweed circuits.

GA-5 = Tweed Champ
                  GA-6 = Tweed 5C3
                  GA-18T = Tweed Tremolux (my favorite model)
                  GA 20T Ranger = Tweed 5E3/Brown Deluxe
                  GA-75 = Tweed 5C5 Pro Amp (another favorite)

I believe the GA-40 is in the Super/Pro wheelhouse. I'm entirely sure, so don't quote me on that. I do know that it is the same circuit as a GA-45, but runs 4x8s instead of a 12". Many describe the GA-45 as a mini Bassman.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
                  Last edited by YeRedHouseOverYonder; 07-09-2020, 03:17 PM.

Comment

I used to have the GA20 version with the 2 inputs and one deisgned for a Bullet Mic -like a 50's busker style amp. loved the tone of that amp.

Gibson has so many amp gems nobody cares much about except the stereo one that Jack Black bought everyone possible of.

Mone was stolen by some junkies in a sludge metal band after a show in 1998
                    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

A lot of them came with RCA glass as well. Cool to know that Seth played a role in them. Never knew it.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                        I used to have the GA20 version with the 2 inputs and one deisgned for a Bullet Mic -like a 50's busker style amp. loved the tone of that amp.

Gibson has so many amp gems nobody cares much about except the stereo one that Jack Black bought everyone possible of.

Mone was stolen by some junkies in a sludge metal band after a show in 1998
                        Plugging into that microphone input instead of the "guitar" inputs gives more gain and a ballsier sound. I always plug into the mic input on my GA20's.

Comment

That is some beautiful amps!!

I believe I've seen a video of Bill Frisell playing one (or something very similiar).

congrats
                          If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X