banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did EMG change their preamp design recently?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Did EMG change their preamp design recently?

No idea. I don’t work for them, I just asked him about the current draw spec and he told me they changed it.

Comment

Speaking of vintage EMGs... here’s an Overlend EMG MHC mini humbucker. Runs on 18 V.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Comment

Now THAT's old school!

Comment

My father has an Ibanez Artcore guitar...

I could buy it from him, for cheap--- I wanted to put a pair of EMG 81 or 85's in it...

Just to make a feedback crazy, kickass axe.. .

If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Are EMG 60/S/S from 1985 vintage?

Comment

So an update: I really wanted to like this new 57/66 set that I got, but honestly, it's too bright, even compared to my old 81. The 57 has sort of a single coil messiness to the attack that I don't like.

So what do you do when you don't like a pickup set? Order another! I ordered an old 57/66 set from 2014 off eBay. I'll be comparing both. I really want to see what this new preamp thing is all about. I really want this 57 that's coming my way to be a good middle ground between the 81 and 85 in the bridge. Fingers crossed!
                Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 07-17-2020, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                  So an update: I really wanted to like this new 57/66 set that I got, but honestly, it's too bright, even compared to my old 81. It has almost sort of a single coil messiness to the attack that I don't like.

So what do you do when you don't like a pickup set? Order another! I ordered an old 57/66 set from 2014 off eBay. I'll be comparing both. I really want to see what this new preamp thing is all about. I really want this 57 that's coming my way to be a good middle ground between the 81 and 85 in the bridge. Fingers crossed!
                  You know real PAFs are very bright and snappy. They were supposed to sound like the vintage (brighter) P-90s they were replacing.

The 85 and the 58 before that have a much warmer tone. Especially the 58. That’s a custom order now.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
                    You know real PAFs are very bright and snappy. They were supposed to sound like the vintage (brighter) P-90s they were replacing.

The 85 and the 58 before that have a much warmer tone. Especially the 58. That’s a custom order now.

I've had Duncan '59's, WLH's, Pearly Gates, and DiMarzio PAF 36th Annis before. I guess I know what to expect from PAFs. Yes, they have all been bright and snarly, especially when hitting the strings hard, but never messy and scratchy.

These, aren't PAFs, though. These are EMG's. Even though they're certainly PAF-inspired, based on the many clips I've heard before, these aren't meant to be miles apart from the 81/85/60 that I know and love. It always seems like there's a little bit more sizzle from the 57 in the clips I've heard, but none of that single coil scratchiness and ugliness that I'm getting. You even said it yourself, and I agree with your assessment: The new preamps are brighter and cleaner. There is more headroom and more of the harsh kind of high-end.

Either way, I guess I'll know for sure when my old 57/66 set gets here.

Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 07-17-2020, 03:47 PM.

Comment

No messiness and scratchiness in either video. At least not any more than the 81 which is a pretty attacky pickup in itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                        I've had Duncan '59's, WLH's, Pearly Gates, and DiMarzio PAF 36th Annis before. I guess I know what to expect from PAFs. Yes, they have all been bright and snarly, especially when hitting the strings hard, but never messy and scratchy.

These, aren't PAFs, though. These are EMG's. Even though they're certainly PAF-inspired, based on the many clips I've heard before, these aren't meant to be miles apart from the 81/85/60 that I know and love. It always seems like there's a little bit more sizzle from the 57 in the clips I've heard, but none of that single coil scratchiness and ugliness that I'm getting. You even said it yourself, and I agree with your assessment: The new preamps are brighter and cleaner. There is more headroom and more of the harsh kind of high-end.

Either way, I guess I'll know for sure when my old 57/66 set gets here.

It also depends on the guitar. I had pickups that sounded great in one guitar but not another.

Also active pickups retain the high end lost on passive pickups because they are buffered. EMGs also don’t run the coils in series. That tends to make them a bit brighter.

Comment

It was the same guitar I was comparing the 81 to the 57 in my experience. I replaced the 81 with the 57, and back again since I didn't like them.

And there's also the high pass/low pass effect inherent to the EMG design. Yes, the high-end degrades less with long cable runs, but there's not a lot of it to begin with. Absolutely all passives I've have had a lot more depth to the very bottom and top parts of the spectrum than EMG's. That's the reason why EMG's distort so well and are so tight. They are all mids.

The JB isn't what you'd call a deep or airy-sounding humbucker, yet it has both more sizzle and boominess in that comparison. Exactly my experience. There's no way any of the EMG's I'm familiar with should have more highs than a PAF. At least not until they made this preamp change which was for the worse, IMO.
                          Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 07-17-2020, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Comment

I only have the old logo "EMG" sets (3 older 81/85 sets and a couple extra 81). 9v operation is the sound I like from them, so if the new design is drier and cleaner i probably am not a fan.

I wish I could find a few SPCs for a fair price. Was going to buy a couple from emg and just waited too long.......... then the price shot waaaaaay up! Their excuse is the stupid quick-connect plug.

Comment

Working...
                              X