TLC for an old LP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TLC for an old LP

The ‘62 was overdue for a setup, as I apparently really loved relief the last time I did it. Gave the truss rod a little over 1/4 turn, put on D’Addario XT 10-46, and it’s way better than it was. Took the pickups out for some photos just for fun. Pretty wild seeing the color it used to be.

The last photo shows the neck repair that was done a little over 20 years ago.

Click image for larger version

Name:	7CD2A42A-D1F3-4789-A13E-2DAAA4D14C64.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	5854712

Name:	C293D570-058C-4087-8629-048F3D719CD1.jpeg
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	5854713

Name:	CEFB6042-197C-48AE-937E-666E8B8DB541.jpeg
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	5854714

Name:	E18D043B-3104-439B-8030-CD62EE814E7D.jpeg
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	5854715

Name:	0914441F-066C-4693-BEB0-8222D8D0CE6A.jpeg
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	5854716
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Re: TLC for an old LP

thats a sweet guitar alright. nylon saddles or is that just they way it looks in the pic?

Comment

Could be an SG?
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

You ever consider routing it for a Kahler?
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Wow. That guitar is a valuable collector's item.

And that inlay behind the tailpiece... That's stock you know. Gibson did that, not some hippie.

Real "Patent Applied For" pickups.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if a collector would be willing to pay you $8,000 to 12,000 or even more for that ax.

Repaired neck joint and all.

Now that I've seen it I would STRONGLY recommend NOT altering it in any way.
          Last edited by Lewguitar; 07-10-2020, 08:20 PM.
          “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
            Could be an SG?
            Technically SG......but still nominally a Les Paul due to TRC
            63 I think was when it officially changed to the SG name, with the TRC dropping the "les Paul" script.

Comment

Jeremy- 5 nylon saddles, one replacement metal one

Chistopher- a Kahler would be an improvement over the Maestro

Whether it’s a Les Paul or an SG... Gibson called it a Les Paul.
              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Yeah, common knowledge about the trc saying "Les Paul". But since the SG got its name because it is a "Solidbody Guitar", then technically, an LP is an SG.
                Since Gibson is perfection personified, then IF they called it a LP then it must be so.
                A few years ago I put a LP trc on one of my custom builds, so I guess it must be a LP too. (It doesn't matter what the guitar IS, just what the trc says).
                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I've never held one that had that ebony block with the pearl inlay behind the tailpiece. I've only seen photos.

Is that inlayed into the top so that it's flush with the top?
                  “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                    Yeah, common knowledge about the trc saying "Les Paul". But since the SG got its name because it is a "Solidbody Guitar", then technically, an LP is an SG.
                    Since Gibson is perfection personified, then IF they called it a LP then it must be so.
                    A few years ago I put a LP trc on one of my custom builds, so I guess it must be a LP too. (It doesn't matter what the guitar IS, just what the trc says).
                    In 61-63, if you’d have ordered a new Les Paul, what would you have received? I’m no Gibson fanboy, and will be the first to point out the many faults of this one. No guitar with this god-awful neck joint should have ever been produced, and the vibrato is a joke.

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
                    I've never held one that had that ebony block with the pearl inlay behind the tailpiece. I've only seen photos.

Is that inlayed into the top so that it's flush with the top?
                    Yes, very similar to fingerboard inlays.
                    Last edited by JB_From_Hell; 07-11-2020, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X