I can't help but feel like my Rivera Rock Crusher makes my amp sound ugly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't help but feel like my Rivera Rock Crusher makes my amp sound ugly

DSL 100 JCM2000 through 4X12 with G12EVH. There's certainly something that the attenuator unlocks that isn't there playing straight, but i can't get over this feeling that there's this mud, honk, haze shrouding the tone. The low end turns to dog ****, and it sounds less present.

Just plugged it in straight for the first time since I bought the Riv, and sounds refreshing. The Red mod sounds a little less saturated and creamy, but more present. And the green channel just sounds better overall.

Am I crazy? Do I suck at dialing amps in for attenuators? Or is this just what one is dealing with when using attenuators?

Re: I can't help but feel like my Rivera Rock Crusher makes my amp sound ugly

When the volume goes down
    All of them get a bit bassy
    Turn the bass down a nudge
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by Peaj View Post
      DSL 100 JCM2000 through 4X12 with G12EVH. There's certainly something that the attenuator unlocks that isn't there playing straight, but i can't get over this feeling that there's this mud, honk, haze shrouding the tone. The low end turns to dog ****, and it sounds less present.

Just plugged it in straight for the first time since I bought the Riv, and sounds refreshing. The Red mod sounds a little less saturated and creamy, but more present. And the green channel just sounds better overall.

Am I crazy? Do I suck at dialing amps in for attenuators? Or is this just what one is dealing with when using attenuators?
      How far are you dropping your volume? I occasionally use a Hot Plate with my 100W Marshall Jubilee and it sounds like sh!t dropped more than 8db.

I try to get away with the -4db setting if I can; better yet don't use it

These days I mostly use my 20W Mini Jube instead; it sounds just as good without being so mind-blowingly loud.
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

It is what it is. Attenuators seem to have tone suck. You can also use a 1 wat amp into a little speak and get some pretty bad ass tone. That's been my favorite so far for 'low' volume rockin.
        The things that you wanted
        I bought them for you

Comment

Attenuators do that. I hate them. I have a 120w tube amp that sounds better turned way down than it does cranked with an attenuator. Your amp probably has a decent master volume and other features to help tame the volume. Attenuators are for like NMV Plexis and similar amps.
          green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Working...
          X