banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jupiter - First Contact! (Warning: 6-string Content)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jupiter - First Contact! (Warning: 6-string Content)

Agree with all this except there is an even lower-ouput L500, the L-500C. I have them in the neck position of two guitars. They are not warm, though, more like bright and clear. (I believe the "C" stands for "clear" or "clean"?) Still humbuckers, though, not bright and clear as a strat single coil.

But yeah, call Becky and ask about the L90 if you can take the looks. I think the L500s are beautiful and the L90s are...not.

Comment

Yes, the C stands for clean. The L90 is a great pickup, as are all Bill Lawrence pickups. I can truly say I've never heard a bad sounding Bill Lawrence, and I've been installing and using them since the late 70's - guitar, bass - or whatever.
      aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

HA! Just got this in my email today! Sorry Duncan, but I already broke the news nearly 2 weeks ago, ha ha!!!

They should hire me to head their marketing...

Comment

This is probably why I hadn't heard of it...
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I came here to post that email too. I'm sure they're running behind with marketing, everyone in the country is running behind with everything.

Comment

There's another seller offering them on eBay...$249 for the set

Comment

This might be a pickup for a high gain player that I like. The description sounds like something I can work with, and I love the look of them.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Maybe soon someone will be able to compare it directly to the dime. Hopefully it's a bit thicker overall(more lower and center mids),,, and not too awful much stiffer/drier/clearer,,,,,,maybe just a little bit would be great.

I'm inclined to snag a bridge model just because those awesome shallow radiused rails.
                  My 2005 rg2570vsl (maple-walnut/basswood) would be a good home,,,,,,,,,,but I do already love the x2n that's in it now. Jupiter would look better IMO. NEED MORE GUITARS!!!
                  Last edited by dave74; 07-18-2020, 02:49 AM.

Comment

Also to note is the shape of the mounting tabs. Almost triangles like Dimarzio.
                    Might make swapping into older Ibanez direct-mounts easier than before, maybe mod free.

Comment

I do want to try a pair of neck models as a set...but it is hard to spend $250 when Wilde L500s are $170 a set, and you get to choose your output/inductance from four options, choose your colors, and have your pickups made to order by a local (to me) mother and daughter operation, without dealing with middle-men.
                      Originally posted by LesStrat
                      Yogi Berra was correct.
                      Originally posted by JOLLY
                      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                        I do want to try a pair of neck models as a set...but it is hard to spend $250 when Wilde L500s are $170 a set, and you get to choose your output/inductance from four options, choose your colors, and have your pickups made to order by a local (to me) mother and daughter operation, without dealing with middle-men.
                        Different beasts though due to ceramic vs alnico. I'd love to try their xl500 just because it's a5. They don't do a ceramic rail and SD doesn't do an alnico rail,,,,kindacool.

woops,,I'm wrong. El Diablo is a2
                        Last edited by dave74; 07-18-2020, 03:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                          ...it is hard to spend $250 when Wilde L500s are $170 a set
                          You bring up a very solid point. I think these Jupiters are shooting a bit high price-wise. After all, they are technically not Custom Shop pickups if what BanjoMikez said is true.

Plus (get ready to be mad), Becky had the 500-series in Cream on sale for $50 each just a couple months ago! It took everything in me not to just buy a couple for a rainy day!

With all that said, I don't yet regret splurging on the Jupiter set. I realize that SD had to put considerable time into making these possible and they are in-line with suggestions I have personally requested of the company, so I put my money where my mouth is! I want to see SD willing to do more stuff like this.

Next stop: Updated Parallel Axis models!

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

Does anyone know of PAF-output-level rail pickups? They all seem to have a pretty bright quality to them. I would need one warmer set and one scooped set, if that is possible with rails.

Call them and ask about which ones are closest to PAFs. They definitely both have offerings but it's been too long since I've thought about this to remember. And yes, these are the Bill Lawrence pickups the Jupiter, Dimebucker, etc. are based on. He had a business disagreement and his former partner kept the Bill Lawrence name. These are the real BL pickups made now by his wife and daugher now that he's bassed.

Comment

Yes, Wilde pickups are amazing. Anyone who hasn't tried a real-deal Bill Lawrence/Wilde is missing out.

I'm a big fan of the L-90 models and the L-500 series. For vintage tones reminiscent of a PAF, the old school L-90 is great.

That said, nearly all Wilde pickups have a sort of "hi-fi" quality to them that makes them unique...a good combination of drive and clarity for sure

Comment

That neck might make a killer mid-line 59/Custom like (but different) Bridge option...
                                Originally posted by Bad City
                                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                                X