Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epiphone Les Paul STD original wiring question

Hello,
    i bought a SD set Hot Rodded SH-JB for my Epiphone Les Paul Standard 2003 (made in Czech Republic), i noticed that the wiring is different from what i expected; the hot wire from the pickups goes to the middle lug of the volume pot (sweeper lug), here is how it is wired originally:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2H_3G_2V_2T_mod.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	5854717

I installed the SD pickups in this way and it works, but i'm wondering if i should change the wiring to reflect the official wiring from SD where the hot wire from pickups goes to the first lug of the pot.

thanks for the help!

Re: Epiphone Les Paul STD original wiring question

That wiring scheme is called "50s tone, Independent volumes". That's the way I wire all of my guitars.

50s tone wiring helps to maintain the treble as the volume on the guitar is turned down. Independent volumes keeps both volumes working independent of the other.

The typical modern Les Paul is wired "Modern tone, Dependent volumes". As the volume is turned down you lose some of the treble as well. Also, if one volume is turned off, then they both will be off. The volumes are "dependent" on each other. To get this you just need to switch the vol pot input and output wires. Meaning...the pup lead goes to the left vol pot lug (where the tone shunt wire is soldered), and the output to the switch is soldered to the middle lug of the vol pot.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply and clear explanation!
      I think i will keep it wired like this for the time being, like you said seems like a good deal to keep treble and indipendent volumes

Comment

+1
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
        X