Floyd Rose Nut installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Rose Nut installation

Is there any practical difference between the front mount wood screw and rear mount machine screw style installations? The wood screw style reminds me of vintage style guitars and the rear mount reminds me of a Ibanez style guitars. If it’s just user preference, which do you prefer? Any reason for one over the other on a new neck?
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Re: Floyd Rose Nut installation

All the installs I’ve done were with the machine screws through the neck, just because that was the standard method.

I always wonder if the wood screws from the top hold the nut as well, but I haven’t heard of any pulling lose.

Routing the ledge is the tricky part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Drilling the holes through the headstock will weaken the peghead at a critical point. The screws from the topside hold very well.
      aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

No matter what it would be a new neck with nut prep from one of the big manufacturers (Warmoth, Musikraft, etc.)
        Last edited by PFDarkside; 07-10-2020, 11:17 AM.
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
          Drilling the holes through the headstock will weaken the peghead at a critical point. The screws from the topside hold very well.
          Not on a Fender style neck. I have a Kramer with a hockey stick headstock that was once broken off, but the locking nut area was intact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
            I always wonder if the wood screws from the top hold the nut as well, but I haven’t heard of any pulling lose.
            Way back when, I bought a Kramer Focus body & neck. The locking nut I had was top mount, so I filled the thru-holes in the neck with wood putty and mounted it into that. At one point, I put 13-56 strings on it and raised the action as high as it would go to use it as a lap steel. If a top mount nut will hold through that...
            “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Not on a Fender style neck. I have a Kramer with a hockey stick headstock that was once broken off, but the locking nut area was intact.
              One guitar is not enough to reference. I see breaks like this often on Squeebay and Treeverb. The break runs right through the locking nut area.
              aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

That type of break is much more common on thin-necked guitars, particularly early Ibanez with their Wizard profiles

That said, I'm a fan of the top-mount variety. The through-mount doesn't really offer any advantages that I can see other than being the "original" mounting style, but can, as Goober mentioned, potentially cause weakness in a critical area.

Top-mount nuts hold just fine

Comment

Reviewing manufacturers, Jackson and Charvel use top mounting and Ibanez uses rear mounting. Ibanez also has the neck volute.
                  Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Warmoth says that the top mounted screws occasionally pull loose, requiring some glue/stuff to add to the hole to hold in again. They recommend the rear screws for this reason. I've got one Floyd guitar with top screws and one guitar with rear screws - no problems with either.
                    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
                    X