The claw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The claw

My left hand is permanently clawed from bass being my 1st instrument and getting taught to use fingers 1, 2, and 4 when playing in the open position near the nut. Wtf? I've even been trying to correct it for years by working technique between those fingers. And guitar has been my main instrument for 5 years lol!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200710_141331.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	5854719

Click image for larger version

Name:	claw.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	5854720
    Last edited by Clint 55; 07-10-2020, 02:21 PM.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Re: The claw

What do you mean? The natural relaxed shape of a hand is a claw of sorts, or do you mean it's exaggerated as you're playing?
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

The look of it in the relaxed position with the ring finger constantly accompanying next to the middle finger is the most exaggerated thing. But also that area of my hand doesn't respond as well for a pattern focusing on the ring finger and its neighboring fingers. Could be cuz the ring finger is naturally the weakest or it could be exaggerated by claw lol!
      Last edited by Clint 55; 07-10-2020, 05:22 PM.
      I bought them for you

Comment

Pfft... Kids

Comment

What, thinking that we're beat up?
          I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
            What, thinking that we're beat up?
            I get it man, you are... but you haven't experienced anything yet.

Comment

Nah, I wasn't saying that. I just posted it cuz it's funny.
              I bought them for you

Comment

My left thumb’s first joint bends further back than my right, from thumb-behind playing.
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Clint, you know that party trick that uses the fact that your ring finger is connected to your middle finger? Basically, you have your friend put their hand on a table and one by one have them fold back 1 finger to their palm and try to lift the others off the table. For each one, you bet them a smalll amount they can't, but when they get to the ring finger folded back, you bet them a huge amount they can't lift their middle finger while the ring finger is folded back and tucked under their palm. Try it. The net net is your hand is normal.

But there are also some classical guitar hand exercises that will help with finger independence during playing. Like placing all 4 fingers down on the neck on one string, each to it's own fret, then lifting only 1 finger at a time and moving across to the next string. Then move the next finger to the next string. (If you're doing it right, it will look like a spider walking across the strings of the neck.). The key is not speed, but independence. Make sure there is never more than 1 finger off the fretboard at any time. Walk from the high E down to the low E and back. Start with a high fret position and work your way down to a lower fret position (which is harder.). E.g. start at the 12th fret position, then try the 7th fret position, then the 5th, then the 2nd.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                    Clint, you know that party trick that uses the fact that your ring finger is connected to your middle finger? Basically, you have your friend put their hand on a table and one by one have them fold back 1 finger to their palm and try to lift the others off the table. For each one, you bet them a smalll amount they can't, but when they get to the ring finger folded back, you bet them a huge amount they can't lift their middle finger while the ring finger is folded back and tucked under their palm. Try it. The net net is your hand is normal.

But there are also some classical guitar hand exercises that will help with finger independence during playing. Like placing all 4 fingers down on the neck on one string, each to it's own fret, then lifting only 1 finger at a time and moving across to the next string. Then move the next finger to the next string. (If you're doing it right, it will look like a spider walking across the strings of the neck.). The key is not speed, but independence. Make sure there is never more than 1 finger off the fretboard at any time. Walk from the high E down to the low E and back. Start with a high fret position and work your way down to a lower fret position (which is harder.). E.g. start at the 12th fret position, then try the 7th fret position, then the 5th, then the 2nd.
                    I can do it,.. I've done just about every hand exercise known to man.

Comment

I've done the spider exercises and also trills and hammer on patterns. It's clawed for life since it developed in college!
                      I bought them for you

Comment

The claw

I’ve always played bass that way. My hand isn’t clawed after 50 years.

Can you not straighten your fingers? All hands look like that relaxed.

You likely have something else going on. Have you seen a doctor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm referring to the ring finger naturally pairing with the middle finger when the hand is relaxed. I don't have any problems with the use of my fingers. Except for the usual clumsiness.
                          Last edited by Clint 55; 07-14-2020, 12:43 AM.
                          I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                            I'm referring to the ring finger naturally pairing with the middle finger when the hand is relaxed. I don't have any problems with the use of my fingers. Execpt for the usual clumsiness.
                            Why is this an issue? Can't you just switch to the Vulcan greeting when needed?
                            Great, now you've gotten me working on left hand exercises (that's coming from someone who suffers from right hand privilege)

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm left hand exercising up a ****ing storm with all this harmonizing every other ****ing melody note in my jazz tunes to not sound like a hack.
                              I bought them for you

Comment

Working...
                              X