Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HSH vs HH - most versality

Hi!
    I tested much guitar pickups. Although JB is a bit compressed for me, JB and Jazz are the best for me.
    Jazz is probably the brightest neck and i dont like muddy neck tone. This set with series/ parallel/ single coil, gives me greatest versality. Series great to 80/90's metal tone. Parallel great to rock, especially parallel neck and tone pot turned down a little sounds great with slash solos. Single coil sounds great. It was not too glassy and thin.
    I just didn't like switch between pickups, because when I played on Jazz and witch to JB, JB seemed thin and to bright.
    I thought about JB2 or Custom Custom. But I'm afraid that Custom Custom is to small output to single coil mode and it may sound thin.
    Alternatively, whether there is a brighter neck pickup?

I wonder that should I install HSH with push pull pot (only series and single coil mode), or should I stay with HH and series/parallel/single coil switch?
    What will give me more versatility?
    Last edited by CarlosG; 07-11-2020, 08:39 AM.

Re: HSH vs HH - most versality

I can't answer all of your questions but I will say that I MUCH PREFER the sound of a humbucker in parallel or series, to the sound of a humbucker split.
    Last edited by Lewguitar; 07-11-2020, 09:21 AM.
    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

For more traditional notch position tones, you want a basic HSH setup in my opinion. It's been done a million times, and for good reason. It sounds great.

However, the sound of humbuckers in parallel is different to a regular split, and one you might prefer. It doesn't try to sound like a single coil. Instead it's just a very clean, gentle and balanced tone.

It doesn't seem like you like your JB that much. You might want a regular Custom if you really want a big sounding bridge pickup. I've had a Custom, a JB, Invaders, Super Distortions and the Custom is my favorite.
      Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
      Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
      Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
      Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

If you want to stick with the HH setup, you can still install a 5 way switch like on a lot of Ibanez RG's. With that you get neck/neck parallel/both/2 inner single coils/bridge. I like it, and none of the positions sound thin and weak.

Comment

I recently got a Kiesel that has a 5 way switch with the middle position being the two inner coils in series, and it's a really cool tone, somehow both brighter and smoother than the bridge humbucker, still humbucking but with more single coil characteristics. Not at all what I was expecting. That's a position I'd recommend for an HH setup.

If you're looking for a bright neck pickup, get a Kiesel Lithium. They're cheap used because they're so bright that everyone swaps them out (as I'm about to as well) but the neck pickup is really cool and unique if a bright neck humbucker that splits well is your goal. I don't recommend the bridge at all though.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Comment

You could use a mini humbucker in the neck. No shortage of cut with that set up. You can use another mini in the middle or a single coil.
            The things that you wanted
            I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. B View Post
              If you want to stick with the HH setup, you can still install a 5 way switch like on a lot of Ibanez RG's. With that you get neck/neck parallel/both/2 inner single coils/bridge. I like it, and none of the positions sound thin and weak.
              I love ibanez 5 way switching!

The inner coils parallel is like an optimized sound of a combination of b/m and n/m on a strat.

Neck parallel is nice too!

Comment

Originally posted by Juanhanglo View Post
                I love ibanez 5 way switching!

The inner coils parallel is like an optimized sound of a combination of b/m and n/m on a strat.

Neck parallel is nice too!
                To add to Mr. B's excellent input:

If you love those specific 5 pickup combinations and know that you will never want any other pickup combinations in that guitar, you can get the Ibanez 3PS1SC5 superswitch that is cited in many of the Ibanez wiring diagrams that feature those pickup combinations.

However, if you might possibly want different pickup combinations now or in the future - get a "standard" 5 way superswitch instead, like a Dimarzio EP1112 or Ibanez VLX91, which are fully customizable. The 3PS1SC5 is designed in such a way that it is limited in which pickup combinations it can yield.

Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 07-11-2020, 10:30 PM.
                Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

The Custom Custom is almost the output of the JB, but occupies more frequencies, so it actually sounds bigger to me. Also, it sounds great split, not thin at all.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

HSH to get the quack from positions 2/4 and of course I would keep the series/split/parallel.

How many knobs does your guitar have? If you can have 3 knobs I would use a volume #1 for neck/bridge and then a volume #2 for middle and the other one for tone maybe. Then you can get back the volume of the middle pickup as a rhythm pickup and in the flick of a switch in the guitar you can switch to a lead tone with no need to switch channels in the amp, maybe you can save that stomp movement for a different pedal instead.
                    Who took my guitar?

Comment

Try triple shots on the humbuckers whether you have a middle single coil or not. So much versatility!

Comment

Working...
                      X