Help ID'ing these SD pickups please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help ID'ing these SD pickups please!

Same old story, bought a new (to me) guitar that had different pickups in it than described! They both have short legs and single conductor leads. I looked at the SD site and it states that PG's all have 4 conductor leads. The neck is double black, marked ‘Pearly Gates’ in green marker, and measures 7.36. The bridge is double white, signed in script ‘Seymour’, and measures 8.36 ohms.

EDIT: ARE THESE EVEN SD PICKUPS? THE BASEPLATE ISN'T STAMPED AND THE LABELS DON'T LOOK LIKE OTHERS I'VE SEEN.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by skydog; 07-11-2020, 02:45 PM.

Re: Help ID'ing these SD pickups please!

Nobody?!

Comment

Looks like possibly an Antiquity bridge. Doesn't look like short legs to me. The other could be anything. The resistance is about a Pearly Neck, but can't see the sticker and with a smooth baseplate and 2-conductor it could only be a custom shop wind, possibly.

Comment

Both are probably Duncans. The bridge is an Ant from the end 90ties to beginning 2000. This is the personal sign of the boss himself, Seymour. But we need to see the label on the neck pickup!
        I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
          Looks like possibly an Antiquity bridge. Doesn't look like short legs to me. The other could be anything. The resistance is about a Pearly Neck, but can't see the sticker and with a smooth baseplate and 2-conductor it could only be a custom shop wind, possibly.
          They look like early Antiquities, perhaps with the neck re-wound to PG spec?
          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
          And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Definitly not early! The labels were stamped in the beginning, not printed. Seymours sign also changed over the years. And there were not double whites only double cream in the beginning years of the CS.

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
              Both are probably Duncans. The bridge is an Ant from the end 90ties to beginning 2000. This is the personal sign of the boss himself, Seymour. But we need to see the label on the neck pickup!
              Sorry, I already button'd 'er up! But the Neck label is identical to the Bridge label, except it of course reads, ‘NECK’. Did the factory ever label a pickup by hand with a marker?
              Last edited by skydog; 07-11-2020, 06:35 PM.

Comment

The printed label could date these to late-'90s or early-'00s. However, the "Pearly Gates" marking was almost certainly put there by the owner, not by SD

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
                  The printed label could date these to late-'90s or early-'00s. However, the "Pearly Gates" marking was almost certainly put there by the owner, not by SD
                  I agree, but what kinda' nut would do that?

Comment

The kinda nut that wants to remember what kind of pickup it is!

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
                      The kinda nut that wants to remember what kind of pickup it is!
                      So, did SD make a Pearly Gates Antiquity?

Comment

Originally posted by skydog View Post
                        I agree, but what kinda' nut would do that?
                        I do on any pickup not clearly marked lol. But I swap out pickups like it's going out of style...

Comment

Okay, if we narrowed it down to CS Pearlies or Ants.
                          Then we have 2 more points: The magnet and gauss reading could help. The Ants should have a dunaged mag and the Pearlies should have standard mag.
                          Next question: Why do they use double whites instead of double cream? Are on Ants dbl whites or only vintage correct colors?
                          Last edited by hamerfan; 07-11-2020, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by skydog View Post
                            So, did SD make a Pearly Gates Antiquity?
                            Well, it could be from the Custom Shop. The Antiquity looks like long legs, like it should have. My guess is that the Pearly Gates was put there by the owner...to either throw people off or to remind themselves what was in there.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                              Well, it could be from the Custom Shop. The Antiquity looks like long legs, like it should have. My guess is that the Pearly Gates was put there by the owner...to either throw people off or to remind themselves what was in there.
                              They might be long legs…I always thought S=3/8”, L=3/4”, but these were somewhere between.
                              Last edited by skydog; 11-22-2020, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X