Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• open high E string sounds muted

Hi,

I'm having an issue with my '95 Charvel San Dimas IV. The high E sounds muted and doesn't ring out very well when played open. I checked the nut height by placing a capo at the third fret and verifying the clearance between the strings and the first fret. I've got about .010 relief in the neck (measured at the 8th fret) and my action is set to 3/64" (treble) and 4/64" (bass) measured at the 17th fret.

Any fretted note does not have the issue.

I think that I need to replace the locking nut, based on all of this, which I believe is an R2 as the nut width is 1-5/8". Is there anything else that I can try before replacing the nut?

Thanks!

Re: open high E string sounds muted

Maybe the nut isn't cut properly...it could have a burr or a divot in the slot causing it to not ring out.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The highest point of the string slot in the nut should be the front edge. The string should "break" over the very front edge of the nut with relief in the nut slot (height and width) progressing toward the tuner. It sounds like your nut is not cut properly, with the highest point back from the front edge. This causes a muting effect by the nut on the string in the front of the slot.
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

OP has a locking nut, so hitting it with nut files doesn't sound like a good idea to me, but please do correct me if I'm wrong!

Either way, if by "muted" OP means a sitar-like buzz, here's what I would try:

1.: Tighten down the string bar/tree a bit more, then tune to pitch and lock down.
        2.: Remove the locking screw and nut clamping block and inspect the wall/sides of the V shaped slot for burrs. If there's any, the string can get caught up on it and despite locking down properly, the string won't go through the bottom of the V slot and buzz against the sides. Hit it with a few gentle strokes of fine sandpaper (only the side, not the bottom!), tune up, lock down and see what happens, hopefully the buzz is a goner.
        3.: The last one is kinda interchangeable with the first, but I always do it like this with a locking nut, with or without string bar/tree. Open the locking nut. Loosen the string. Not completely slack, let it have some tension. Now strart tightening the locking screw and make sure that the nut clamping block pushes the string down correctly into the bottom of the V shaped slot, both on the neck and headstock side. Don't lock it down though, the string should be able to slide between the clamping block and the nut when the tuners are turned. Now tune UP. If you pull it sharp, start again. When it is in tune, lock down the down and (hopefully) be happy!

I had a similar issue on my 7 string Jackson. It both had some fine burrs and since it has the traditional pointy headtock with the size of a hockey stick due to the 7 strings, the high E not only has a downwards break, but a steeper sideways break too and when tuned to pitch, the clamp just couldn't push the string down properly into the nut slot. The above method completely solved the problem and since then that is the only way I tune and lock a locking nut.

Comment

I assume you changed the string?
          aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
            Yes, a new string didn't make a difference.

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post
            OP has a locking nut, so hitting it with nut files doesn't sound like a good idea to me, but please do correct me if I'm wrong!

Either way, if by "muted" OP means a sitar-like buzz, here's what I would try:

1.: Tighten down the string bar/tree a bit more, then tune to pitch and lock down.
            2.: Remove the locking screw and nut clamping block and inspect the wall/sides of the V shaped slot for burrs. If there's any, the string can get caught up on it and despite locking down properly, the string won't go through the bottom of the V slot and buzz against the sides. Hit it with a few gentle strokes of fine sandpaper (only the side, not the bottom!), tune up, lock down and see what happens, hopefully the buzz is a goner.
            3.: The last one is kinda interchangeable with the first, but I always do it like this with a locking nut, with or without string bar/tree. Open the locking nut. Loosen the string. Not completely slack, let it have some tension. Now strart tightening the locking screw and make sure that the nut clamping block pushes the string down correctly into the bottom of the V shaped slot, both on the neck and headstock side. Don't lock it down though, the string should be able to slide between the clamping block and the nut when the tuners are turned. Now tune UP. If you pull it sharp, start again. When it is in tune, lock down the down and (hopefully) be happy!

I had a similar issue on my 7 string Jackson. It both had some fine burrs and since it has the traditional pointy headtock with the size of a hockey stick due to the 7 strings, the high E not only has a downwards break, but a steeper sideways break too and when tuned to pitch, the clamp just couldn't push the string down properly into the nut slot. The above method completely solved the problem and since then that is the only way I tune and lock a locking nut.
            I actually removed the nut earlier today to verify that is an R2, and lightly sanded the high E slot with a some 220 grit sandpaper.

It seems to be much better now. Thanks to all who responded!

Comment

That was my first thought too. On either the nut or bridge saddle end, your string is not tight down in the slot and does not have a clean take-off point. Kind of strange though considering it is a locking nut/trem.

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                I assume you read his first post? (only muted when string is open...fretted anywhere it doesn't have that issue). Obviously a nut issue, not string.
                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
                X