Double thick mag op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double thick mag op

My home double thick mag op has initiated successfully. Let me know if you want me to send you double thick mags at cost with a turnaround of 2 weeks. Getting them from addfx, making them, then shipping them. Or I could stock like $100 worth of mags and just make them and get them to you in a week if there would be a demand for them. Cermag takes like a month haha.

They're very beneficial. You can put them in a vintage bridge pup and get some beef out of it instead of all clank. I've been using them in neck and middle hums to fatten up my jazz tone. You can also mix mags and it sounds great. The mag on the top has a stronger influence.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Re: Double thick mag op

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
    My home double thick mag op has initiated successfully. Let me know if you want me to send you double thick mags at cost with a turnaround of 2 weeks. Getting them from addfx, making them, then shipping them. Or I could stock like $100 worth of mags and just make them and get them to you in a week if there would be a demand for them. Cermag takes like a month haha.

They're very beneficial. You can put them in a vintage bridge pup and get some beef out of it instead of all clank. I've been using them in neck and middle hums to fatten up my jazz tone. You can also mix mags and it sounds great. The mag on the top has a stronger influence.
    Lol I knew it was you posting before I saw the name. I’ve been wanting to do this myself but I wanted to invest in a real magnetizer.

I’m figuring that your process is to get the magnets demagnetized, align them to the natural direction that they were oriented, epoxy them together and then magnetize them?

I’m looking for something stronger than my a5 but not too over the top and barky like my a8.

Comment

Haha. It's actually pretty easy. I use just regular magnetized mags, rub the wax off with a rag, sand the surfaces to be bonded with 80, apply the epox, then just let the mags attract with each other and allow the epox to cure for a day. The rare earth magnets in my magnetizer don't give an eff and will waslam the magnetization into the desired orientation regardless of how it previously is.

I've also been thinking about that same problem about A8 being overly barky. I think an A5/A8 with the A5 on top could be a solution!
      I bought them for you

Comment

Would a double A5 give me a tighter, brighter, more clear tone than a standard A8 but similar power?

Comment

Double thick A5 would absolutely be clearer than regular A8 and as powerful or maybe slightly more. I don't know if you'd perceive it as tighter and brighter tho. Double thickness makes it fatter and deeper while keeping the same characteristics of the alnico type. The A5 characteristics might win out and it would end up being a little brighter than a regular A8. I never thought of A8 as sloppy so I guess the response would be about the same in my estimation.
          I bought them for you

Comment

Then I am interested! I am a newb to magnet swaps, though. I've only done one successfully - putting the A8 into the paf-style that came with an A5. (My first magnet swap attempt with a Super Distortion was a disaster.)
            Is swapping in a double-thick hard to do? I assume I'd have to make spacers or something?

Comment

It's a bit of a pain, but it's definitely not that hard to do and is very beneficial. You end up with a bridge pickup with no compromises. It's not just a clank anymore and you can actually play. The main steps to it are: open it up, take the tape and screws off; stick the double thick mag in with the poles oriented properly; stick 1 spacer between the lead and the bobbin and stick 2 spacers in on the other side; add tape to shim the spacers if the bobbins aren't laying flush; tighten the screws and rewrap some tape.
              Last edited by Clint 55; 07-14-2020, 02:00 PM.
              I bought them for you

Comment

Working...
              X