banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2x P90 guitar - switch for series wiring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2x P90 guitar - switch for series wiring?

Hello guys,

I have an Epiphone Wildkat, that I really love.

It has two P90's, with individual volumes, master tone, and master volume. And a 3-way "LP" style switch.

How can I, in the easiest way (that is, not drilling any more holes) get the function of having both pickups wired in series? (And back to parallell. (With the master vol. still working).

I'm thinking a push-pull pot, but if there is a switch that can replace the 3-way - it would be even better.

(and I'm sorry if I posted this question earlier. I couldn't find the thread.)

Thanks alot,
    -Erlend
    If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Re: 2x P90 guitar - switch for series wiring?

Look at series/parallel switches for a humbucker. But do you really want a 16k humbucker of 42awg wire? Mud city at best. Look for partial split schematics and dont go further than a equivalent of 9 or 10k with the resistor parallel to the neck pickup.
    Last edited by hamerfan; 07-12-2020, 11:22 AM.
    I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Well- I know pretty close what I want (and am getting) no worries.

I need this setting, for some of my work. Thank you!

-Erl
      If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

No offence, but i am doing guitar electronics since 1980 and had my share of failures. Two years ago i bought a Schatten winder and do my own stuff with single coils and P 90s

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
          No offence, but i am doing guitar electronics since 1980 and had my share of failures. Two years ago i bought a Schatten winder and do my own stuff with single coils and P 90s
          good for you;

I am asking advice for my original question please .

-Erl

Comment

You want the middle position to be series, instead of parallel, right? Not both?

The way I asked that might be confusing. You want:

1. Neck
            2. N/B series
            3. Bridge

Is that right?

Comment

Look at a Push/pull schematic of a humbucker. If one P90 is rwrp, they act like the bobbins of the humbuckers. I am afraid you have to give up the 3 way or change it to a Freeway Switch.
              Last edited by hamerfan; 07-12-2020, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                You want the middle position to be series, instead of parallel, right? Not both?

The way I asked that might be confusing. You want:

1. Neck
                2. N/B series
                3. Bridge

Is that right?
                Well

Everything standard, as it is-

but when I pull a pot, or flick a switch, ( a push/pull pot is preferred)

I'll get bridge + neck in series. (and volume controlled by the master volume).

Comment

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
                  Look at a Push/pull schematic of a humbucker. If one P90 is rwrp, they act like the bobbins of the humbuckers. I am afraid you have to give up the 3 way or change it to a Freeway Switch.
                  Thanks. Never heard of a "freeway" switch-

I know this is a somewhat "known" mod for telecasters. Maybe I could even figure it out myself, if I got my two braincells working in tandem.

thank you .

-Erl

Comment

Originally posted by Erlend_G View Post
                    Well

Everything standard, as it is-

but when I pull a pot, or flick a switch, ( a push/pull pot is preferred)

I'll get bridge + neck in series. (and volume controlled by the master volume).

Ah. Ok. That's easy enough. I got a couple projects in front of you, but I'm trying to get caught up. Actually, I have that diagram around here somewhere. I'll search it out.

Comment

Thanks alot, Artie!

I need that really loud, thick "series" sound for some stuff I do. .

I hope it will be a quite easy installation/procedure- I got a soldering iron and some skills.

thanks.

-Erl

Comment

Enough with this Wildcat. Buy a freakin pedal.

Comment

Originally posted by SoPhx View Post
                          Enough with this Wildcat. Buy a freakin pedal.
                          thanks, mate.... best advice I've got so far.

So you mean, I just trade in the guitar, and play the pedal instead? :o

Comment

No worries guys-

I've realized that I can figure out the schematics myself.

I would really wish there was some kind of... rotary switch? that could replace my 3-way switch, and give me a series wiring on one of the "notches".

If else, I'll use a push pull pot.

thanks
                            -Erl

Comment

I've considered even putting a couple of "piezo disc" pickups, inside of the lid/top of the guitar-

with a stacked volume pot, to get some "acoustic sound" from it . I do alot of clean, ambient, and feedback stuff.

We'll see, what it will become!

-Erl

Comment

Working...
                              X