Suhr P-90 pickups in an Ibanez Prestige RG2550Z

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suhr P-90 pickups in an Ibanez Prestige RG2550Z

Hello, I just finished this project and I’m starting to put together some photos and videos I took during the process. I thought I would post to some of the sites that have helped me out many times in the past.

This is a 2008 Ibanez Prestige RG2550Z I picked up on kijiji. I wanted to do something really different with this guitar. The plan was to swap out the original HSH pickups with a pair of new P-90’s (I ended up going with Suhr S90s, which are an option on the Suhr JM Classic), install all new electronics, and make a new pickguard to give it a very different vibe.

In other words I pretty much wanted to take this guitar in the opposite direction from what people tend to do with RG’s, most tend to take what is already a pretty aggressive guitar and make them even more aggressive, in both look and sound. I kinda wanted to go the opposite way and make it I guess you could say more nuanced. The thing is I really love these guitars, they play amazing, fantastic necks especially, great trem systems, and just super well made overall, just not the overall character I was looking for.

So I found some 3D CAD models of a stock RG on Grabcad and used them as a starting point to create the new design in SolidWorks. I also had some tortoise shell pickguard material kicking around that I thought would work well here. When I get a chance I’ll post some pics of the actual work.
    Attached Files

Re: Suhr P-90 pickups in an Ibanez Prestige RG2550Z

Here are a few pics on the workbench. I was surprised how little routing of the body was needed to fit the P-90’s. I opted to use the drill press and dremel rather than the router and it made pretty quick work of it.
    Attached Files

Comment

good luck man...

P90's are my favourite pickups

I wish you all the best,

-Erlend
      If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Love to see projects like this...keep the pics coming!
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I made a trial pickguard using a 3D printer from the CAD files, and I’m glad I did because after using the guitar for a couple of weeks that way I decided to make a few changes to the design. Most notably I switched the locations of the tone pot and selector. Final pics of the finished guitar and demo link still to come.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by 720Guitars; 07-20-2020, 06:11 AM.

Comment

I am really digging the new pickguard!
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Pegs my awesomeness meter.
              aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

That looks really cool.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Here are some pics of the finished guitar, and a quick video to show how it sounded in the studio… Thanks!

“Pickups demonstrated as they might sound in a finished studio mix”- Ibanez Prestige RG2550Z (2008)- Suhr S90 Pickups (P-90 pickups), neck position- Vox AC15...
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X