Old DiMarzio SC vs newer options for neck PU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old DiMarzio SC vs newer options for neck PU

I built a guitar about 25 years ago with a bridge humbucker (SD SH-1 59), middle P90 (Gibson from the 60s), and neck single coil (DiMarzio DP 119 Class of 55). I am redoing my build because the middle position P90 has always been awkward (great pickup, but not good in-between the HB and SC).
    So, I am looking at going to H-S-S with the 59 in the bridge and trying to figure what to do in mid and neck keeping a vintage theme.

Br_____Mid_______Neck
    59_____SSL2___Class of 55
    59___Class of 55___SSL2
    59_____SSL2______SSL2

Something else??? Like Guitar Fetish in the middle maybe? I am trying to keep this rebuild on a budget. I guess my biggest question comes down to whether the Class of 55 or the SSL-2 is a better neck PU…. And, of course that is subjective…. Also, I may try to flatten the staggered rods of the class of 55 a little (so if I ruin it, then my decision is partly made for me I guess).

My other guitar has 3 quarter pounders in it and is awesome for what it is, I want to keep a little more brightness and jangle in the one I am rebuilding (vintagey-Hendrix tones in the neck position are important). I could almost get away with no middle PU except I do play with the 2/4 positions sometimes. The guitar is a Warmoth body (alder) and neck (maple with rosewood board) with hardtail string-through bridge. The rebuild will probably have 300 K volume pot and 50s-style tone control wiring, maybe a push-pull pot or two for options on my 4-wire ’59 and/or a neck-on switch.

I originally bought the Class of 55 because of an article in a guitar magazine 25 years ago that said it was the most authentic vintage tone available (yeah, back then I believed everything I read in magazines, I am a little more skeptical now). It has treated me well in the neck position, but I have to wonder if I would like a SD there better. The Class of 55 coil measures 6 ohms. The coils are insulated from the magnets so the wires may be reversed easily. It is “north up” (unless I have this backwards… the south compass needle is attracted to the top of the PU, so it is considered “north up” or “north to strings”). I believe the magnets are Alnico, but not sure what kind.

If you got this far, thanks for reading. This is my first post here and I am looking for any thoughts/opinions/solutions/references. This forum seems to be a vast resource and often comes up when I am searching topics online. Like I said, I like the Class of 55, but I bought it just based on a review in a magazine… and I have never played a truly vintage 50s or 60s strat for comparison. I play all kinds of classic rock and also a big fan of GnR and 90s grunge and alternative.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Re: Old DiMarzio SC vs newer options for neck PU

Welcome to forum!

I haven't played the Class of 55, but I've come across a lot of reviews for it over the years and nearly every one of them was positive, suggesting it was indeed a very authentic, lower-output, vintage Strat sound in the neck.

If that's what you're after, you like it, and you're on a budget as you suggest, then stick with it and concentrate instead on what you'll put in the middle position. Maybe put the $$ into an SD middle pickup instead of GFS

EDIT: I think the "newer is better" thing gets to be a bit skewed in our minds. We want pickups that recreate a '50s or '60s pickup design, then worry that the design has somehow been "improved" upon every few years when companies like SD and DiMarzio release new models, ha ha! I guess that fear keeps pickup makers in business to an extent. I only say that to suggest that you're not "missing out" by keeping the older Class of 55 and you essentially risk getting something you won't actually like as much if you change it!
    Last edited by Masta' C; 07-13-2020, 12:41 PM.

Comment

i agree, if you like the class of 55 then keep it. its a low wind alnico 5 strat pup and from what i remember they sounded good

Comment

Thanks to both of you. I am leaning towards keeping the Class of 55 in the neck.

My concern is not just about newer vs older. I just don't think DiMarzio single coils have the reputation that Seymour Duncan single coils have, which have stood the test of time for a lot of people.

Comment

Depends on what circles you travel in! Obviously, most of here are HUGE Seymour Duncan fans, but a good pickup is a good pickup, regardless of who makes it.

If you're feeling drawn toward a Duncan, then get one for the middle position...your DiMarzio won't mind!

Comment

The 55 magnets are "north to strings" and can be wired either direction to fix polarity issues...

Is a standard Duncan "south to strings"? I am talking SSL2. I have searched and found mixed feedback. Can an SSL2 be wired with either wire to hot/ground? I would like to be sure that the 55 and SSL2 will be a RWRP match.

I have a very cool switching scheme I want to use that I worked-out last night! With one push-pull and a 5 way 4 pole selector I will have:

1) HB
            2) Split slug coil + mid
            3) mid
            4) mid + neck
            5) neck

with the push-pull up I will have:

1) HB
            2) HB in parallel
            3) split slug coil
            4) split screw coil + neck
            5) neck

Then I may still work the 3rd pot in as a blender since I like a master tone control... any other pickup combos I should try to squeeze-in?

Comment

dimarzio made some great singles over the years but they are much more known for their buckers. the class of 55, fs1, and sds1 are all great single coils

Comment

Working...
              X