banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What tubes (12ax7, EL84) for my Blackstar Ht-20mkII combo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What tubes (12ax7, EL84) for my Blackstar Ht-20mkII combo?

I've decided to buy a full set of "spare tubes", now while I got the money to afford it.

I haven't checked what tubes came stock with it (they're hidden beneath a cover)-

but I think it does sound allright as it is. (actually a bit "dull" to my ears.)

I won't be changing the tubes, before they start malfunctioning or something.

....I'd like it to maybe sound a bit more lively, brighter- if any kind/brand of tubes does that.

Any good reccomendations?

thank you

-Erlend
    Last edited by Erlend_G; 07-14-2020, 04:08 AM.
    If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Re: What tubes (12ax7, EL84) for my Blackstar Ht-20mkII combo?

Yeah, right now (with the stock tubes)

it does sound very "polite" to my ears... actually "flat"... the clean channel doesn't got that much of a "chime" like a Fender amp.

the overdrive channel lacks something in the mid/ high mid area- I've cranked the mid control, (and might need an EQ pedal).

I know there are only minute differences between brands of tubes- But please put me in the direction of "chimey, lively, bright" tubes!

-Erl
    If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Speaker change might also be something, but not before next christmas (when I can afford a new speaker).

Trying to find an used Boss GE-7 (or similar) for cheap.

Comment

From googling it looks like your stiock tubes are JJ's which can be a bit dark/dull in some amps. I'd try switching out V1 for a Shuguang (or EH or Tung Sol). That should definitely brighten the amp up..
        "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
        If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Electro Harmonix 12ax7 will do that and are cheap
          For el84... If it has jj those are actually pretty good. Punchy and chimey. They also happen to be cheap and not bad reliability.
          For a more open sound maybe try the old stock Russian 6p14p-ev

Comment

If you're going through the trouble of buying new tubes to improve your tone, you ought to go ahead and put the new ones in right away and keep your older ones that you don't necessarily prefer the sound of as emergency spares. I have a few half-used sets of preamp and power amp tubes for almost all of my amps so that if something shuts down on me or starts sounding weird I can just quickly pop one out and another one in.
            green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

I'd just experiment with changing the V1 position pre-amp tube.

This will have the most audible effect on your tone, especially on a high-gain modern amp. I've spent hundreds of dollars on pre & power tubes over the years and the only change that felt audibly significant to me was changing the V1 position. I've settled on a lowly Sovtek 12AX7LPS.

I used to own a Blackstar HT-5 and a Boss GE-7 btw.

If your tubes are working fine and you're not consistently running the amp at high volume then you're just putting yourself into debt later on for an emergency that most likely won't happen. If money is super tight then please don't spend it on excess glass!
              Last edited by Animal; 07-15-2020, 03:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Animal View Post
                I'd just experiment with changing the V1 position pre-amp tube.

This will have the most audible effect on your tone, especially on a high-gain modern amp. I've spent hundreds of dollars on pre & power tubes over the years and the only change that felt audibly significant to me was changing the V1 position. I've settled on a lowly Sovtek 12AX7LPS.

I used to own a Blackstar HT-5 and a Boss GE-7 btw.

If your tubes are working fine and you're not consistently running the amp at high volume then you're just putting yourself into debt later on for an emergency that most likely won't happen. If money is super tight then please don't spend it on excess glass!
                Well...

I just wanted an "insurance" , that is- if my amp's tubes were to fail one day; I would have some replacements ready. I don't know how tight my money will be the day that actually happens :/.

but, thanks (you all) for answers.

appreciated.

-Erlend

Comment

As mentioned, Shuguang tubes will probably be brighter than the JJs, and are pretty cheap to try, I would get some EHs to put in the preamp and see if that is more what you want. The power tubes should be fine.

FWIW, tubes will make slight differences, they aren't going to totally change the character of an amp. That said, Chinese preamp tubes tend to have a brighter character than Russian tubes. A speaker change will be a much more drastic change, but a more expensive experiment.

Comment

Working...
                  X