Gibson files new lawsuits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson files new lawsuits

This time they are suing Collings over their peghead profiles, and Satellite Amps over their use of the Epiphone Coronet body shape.

Anyone with 20/20 vision can tell a Collings peghead is NOT a Gibson, and the Coronet model was abandoned by Gibson over 20 years ago, having never been copyright protected.

Gibson just doesn't ****ing learn. Have they won a single lawsuit they've brought in the last 10 years?
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Re: Gibson files new lawsuits

The Collings headstock is a very unique take on the classic Gibson profile while still being unique. It’s probably my favorite “inspired by” headstock design.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Links for your reading pleasure...

Gibson claims the headstock shape trademark, for which Collings filed last year, will “impair the distinctiveness” of three of its own trademarks.

Gibson has issued a statement in response to recent allegations made by Satellite Amplifiers in regards to its use of the Epiphone Coronet's design.

Comment

This tends to be a thing now. Lawsuits combined with heritage models, and that's it. I bet that was a fun board meeting to sit in.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Satellite looks like infringement to me. They should have at least changed the name and modded the shape a little.

The Collings headstock is actually an old Epiphone headstock. Gibson/Epi have used it on "Masterbuilt" acoustics. But the Collings isn't exact, and arguing "liklihood of confusion" could be easily defeated in court.
          Last edited by beaubrummels; 07-14-2020, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Not going to affect my day to day operations in the least.

Comment

Agreed. I don't think Satellite is going to win that one...it's a complete replica under the same name. That's like saying "here's what we're calling our '62 Stratocaster' model, built to the same specs as a famous guitar model that was popular during that time, right down to a vintage-correct body shape and hardware, but please don't confuse it for a Fender copy!"

The Collings suit is a joke! Collings should compile a list of Gibson-alike headstocks that were never defended in the past to throw back at them. Theirs is nothing special.

Comment

Wasn't the original NY Epiphone headstock an attempt to not infringe on Gibson? So Gibson is now suing a company for using a headstock shape that does not infringe on Gibson?

I'm surprised they aren't suing Santa Cruz. This would be an $11,000 infringement right here:
                Last edited by beaubrummels; 07-14-2020, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Wonder when they’re gonna sue ever mandolin maker for the F-5. Without reading the name or hearing them, they’re impossible to tell apart.
                  “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Those guys at Gibson need to find something productive to do with their day instead of suing people all over the place and losing and looking like asshats.

My humble opinion.
                    Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Originally posted by 80's_Metal View Post
                      Those guys at Gibson need to find something productive to do with their day instead of suing people all over the place and losing and looking like asshats.

My humble opinion.
                      #truth

If I ever buy another Gibson, it'll definitely be what players will eventually term a "Pre-COVID" model, ha ha! I simply can't support what their business has become these past couple years

Comment

Great. Big legal fees equals less money that they'll be willing to spend on making their guitars better.

I honestly don't think they expect to win these suits right now. I think it's part of a larger strategy to attempt to reclaim some of their stuff that has become "sort of public domain" over the years. The way the law works, you can't win those kids of suits in the future if you aren't constantly attempting to fight them now. It's like letting a fruit thief pick oranges off of your tree for 20 years without protest, and then all of a sudden deciding to call the cops. Your complaint ain't gonna hold water. Allowing someone to do something for so long gives them legal momentum, and the law views it as an unwritten agreement between the two of you. But if you had been telling him not to pick the oranges off your tree for 20 years, then you might have a leg to stand on when you finally call the cops.
                        Last edited by ItsaBass; 07-14-2020, 03:15 PM.
                        Originally posted by LesStrat
                        Yogi Berra was correct.
                        Originally posted by JOLLY
                        I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I sure hope this means Gibson's finally gonna start doing something with the Coronet.
                          You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                          Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Any company that puts their name on $50 plywood "Les Pauls" sold at Walmart while also producing $10,000 collectors models with nothing in between deserves to go bankrupt.

Comment

Any company that puts their name on $50 plywood "Les Pauls" sold at Walmart while also producing $10,000 collectors models with nothing in between deserves to go bankrupt.
                              Your post has absolutely no resemblance to reality.

Comment

Working...
                              X