Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another JB thread....

I have a JB in my Ibanez RG 565.

I recently put an UOA5 in it. I find it to be an improvement in the regular A5 but I still feel it is lacking....

I have a Custom (SH-5) in my LP which absolutely slays in that guitar. It has an amazing chunky yet tight low end that I love.

And that is what I feel the Ibanez is lacking....the low end. Now I know the JB is not known for its low end. I like everything else I get from the JB though. The output is huge and the Ibanez sounds like it’s going to rip through the speakers. The UOA5 has smoothed out the mids like I hoped it would. It’s just the lacking low end.

My question is:
    Would a mag swap like an A8 or A2 help in any way here? Or do I just need to be using a different pickup?
    Maybe a Custom Custom?
    I also have a BKP Rebel Yell on hand that I bet would sound great. Only thing is that it is a Standard spaced pickup....which probably would still work just fine anyway..
    Thoughts?

Also looking for recommendations for a Stratty neck pickup preferably noiseless.
    It currently has a Hot Rails in it. Which is good but not really Stratty.

Thanks.

Another JB thread....

Mods.... I misspelled “JB” in the title of the thread and can’t seem to correct it.
    Any possibility of correcting it for me?
    Thanks

Edit:
    Thanks for the fix!!
    Last edited by Gtrjunior; 07-14-2020, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Re: Another IB thread....

Duncan Distortion has low end the JB doesn't, IME

Comment

A8 would be my suggestion here, assuming you stick with the JB wind. Alternatively, if you happen to have a double-thick Ceramic, that would put you into Distortion territory

Seeing that you have a Rebel Yell on hand, I'd rip that JB out and try it first! The difference in spacing won't have any noticeable effect on the tone or performance.

I think going with something like a Custom Custom is moving a bit far in the opposite direction.

As for a noiseless "Stratty" neck pickup, there are some very solid options now. Fender's newest gen noiseless pickups are really great, better than anything they made in the past, and Kinmans are a no-brainer if you can afford them. If you're pairing a neck single with the JB or similar, you'll probably want something a bit hotter than pure vintage. Take a look at the DiMarzio Area 61 and Injector neck models. Andy Timmons also manages a semi-stratty neck tone with a Cruiser Bridge model in the neck. The Duncan stacks are also great!

Comment

Re: Another JB thread....

ive never felt like the ibanez rg line had a strong bottom, at least not the ones ive owned. a8 might work for you, but itll be more aggressive than what you have now by a fair amount. a custom custom doesnt have much bottom but does have lovely low mids. the classic stack plus models are very stratty

Comment

A8 or A2 would add a lot of bass to the JB compared to A5 or UOA5. A8 would be more aggressive, obviously.

(Or I could make you some double thick mags! Lol!)
            The things that you wanted
            I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
              A8 or A2 would add a lot of bass to the JB compared to A5 or UOA5. A8 would be more aggressive, obviously.

That thought has already crossed my mind!!

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                ive never felt like the ibanez rg line had a strong bottom, at least not the ones ive owned. a8 might work for you, but itll be more aggressive than what you have now by a fair amount. a custom custom doesnt have much bottom but does have lovely low mids. the classic stack plus models are very stratty
                The only example I can think of where an RG (I assume) has good low end is the guy from Firehouse’s tone. He’s got a really full, thick tone. I have no idea what pickups he uses.

Comment

I’ve also been listening to some YouTube clips of the classic stack. I think it sounds great.
                  Any reason anybody thinks it might not match output l-wise with a JB (A8 or double ceramic) or a Rebel Yell?

Comment

Ok...talk to me about what’s involved with making a double thick mag.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                      Duncan Distortion has low end the JB doesn't, IME
                      I hadn’t thought about this pickup. I’m looking into it. Thx

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                        Ok...talk to me about what’s involved with making a double thick mag.
                        Epox 2 mags together and magnetize it as a full magnet.

The full description:

The things that you wanted
                        I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                          The only example I can think of where an RG (I assume) has good low end is the guy from Firehouse’s tone. He’s got a really full, thick tone. I have no idea what pickups he uses.

https://youtu.be/caVQoAs9J1s
                          I looked on his site one time. I remember a PG and A2P being mentioned in one of his custom guitars.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk
                          "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Originally posted by TheViewFromVenus View Post
                            I looked on his site one time. I remember a PG and A2P being mentioned in one of his custom guitars.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk
                            I’ll investigate further.....thanks

Comment

Epox 2 mags together and magnetize it as a full magnet.

The full description:

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...e-thick-mag-op
                              How does it affect the thickness of the pickup Once the mag is installed?

Comment

Working...
                              X