No announcement yet.

Help with a Puresalem reverberation pickups change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You have a 2 conductor 59. In that diagram, ignore the red & white. The hot (inside the braided shield) goes to the switch. The braided shield goes to ground.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
        Re: Help with a Puresalem reverberation pickups change

Cool looking guitar. Kind of like Keith's Tele.

I'd be careful that the 59 neck pickup doesn't overpower the bridge pickup.

Don't know that I'd bother splitting or running the Little 59 in parallel unless you're just curious about what that sounds like.

My guess is that you're going to prefer the Little 59 in series for maximum output.
        OMG Lew. You just disagreed with Mincer! You tried to insist that your opinion is the only one that matters. And you insisted on getting the last word. Gee, your post is just like mine in another thread. And my post, this post, is just like yours in that other thread.

Just saying.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post

OMG Lew. You just disagreed with Mincer! You tried to insist that your opinion is the only one that matters. And you insisted on getting the last word. Gee, your post is just like mine in another thread. And my post, this post, is just like yours in that other thread.

Just saying.
          “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Re: Help with a Puresalem reverberation pickups change

OK. I'd definitely get a Tele style pickup.

The best sounding Tele bridge pickups are single coils, but they hum.

Noiseless Tele bridge pickups don't hum, but they don't sound quite as good.

I tried some Duncan, Dimarzio and Barden noiseless Strat and Tele pickups but eventually I went back to single coils.

I think you'd like the Jerry Donahue. I use one but it's not noiseless. It's warmer than a vintage Tele pickup, fuller in the mids and seems a little hotter.

The noiseless Tele pickups I liked best were the Joe Bardens but they're not what I use now.

It's rare to find what you're looking for the first time. I think the Little 59 for Tele would be a great place to start.

The JB JR. is cool too. Hotter, warmer and fuller than the Little 59, while the Little 59 seems more open and clear.

Neither sound like a vintage Tele pickup. They're both voiced to get the sound of a humbucker in a Strat or Tele size pickup.
            I agree with this and Mincer's suggestion for the JD tele bridge pup. It's fuller and hotter than a vintage tele but still has a Tele flavor. It sounds very clear and clean. When you get into higher output pups, as a general rule, you introduce less highs, more mids, and less clarity.

I also agree with Mincer that the Lil 59 sounds much better in parallel than split. My opinion is that it sounds better in parallel than in normal series humbucker mode as well. I've never been much of a fan of the Lil 59 because it sounds, to me, kinda muffled, dull, and lifeless compared to the full-sized 59. If that's what one is looking for, then the Lil 59 is a great pup. When I bought my first Lil 59 I was expecting it to sound just like its full-sized big brother. Not quite. Maybe that's why I personally dislike it (at least in series).

But I think the JD would not only go well with a 59 in the neck, but its clarity and power would also do the music that you intend to be playing with it.
            Last edited by GuitarDoc; 09-06-2020, 06:07 AM.

Comment

By the way, really nice looking guitar. I haven't heard of that brand/model, but I love it.

Comment

I'd be careful that the 59 neck pickup doesn't overpower the bridge pickup.
                Lew I am curious why. My Tele neck pickup is way stronger than the bridge. I have a TV Jones Power'Tron bridge in the neck and a hotrails in the bridge. I do most of my rhythm work of the neck, very Malcolm Youngish, and my lead work with the hot rails. It works out great.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

Lew I am curious why. My Tele neck pickup is way stronger than the bridge. I have a TV Jones Power'Tron bridge in the neck and a hotrails in the bridge. I do most of my rhythm work of the neck, very Malcolm Youngish, and my lead work with the hot rails. It works out great.
                  Just personal preference. Like most opinions.

For my playing style I tend towards a clean sounding neck pickup so I can throw in some jazzy chords with add 9th's and what not. Maybe some open string folksy chords. That sort of thing.

And for more overdriven sounds I tend to switch to the bridge pickup, so I like it a little hotter than the neck pickup.

But not too hot because I play rhythm with both pickups on quite a bit and I like those chimey Tom Petty-ish, jangley sounds too.

I play a lot of acoustic guitar and when I play electric I like to be able to use some of those chords and some of that playing style when I'm on the neck pickup or using both pickups together.

Comment

Just personal preference. Like most opinions.
                    That is what I kinda figured. And we are polar opposites in styles so it is not surprising we have some diametric approaches to gear and gear setups.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

That is what I kinda figured. And we are polar opposites in styles so it is not surprising we have some diametric approaches to gear and gear setups.
                      There's very little music I can't find something to like about. I've always liked music that strikes me as being real, beautiful and soulful.

But that could be anything from blues to jazz to Motown to rock to classical to folk to country to...Joni Mitchell, the Beatles and the Beach Boys.

When Louis Armstrong was asked what kind of music he played he said: "There's only two kinds of music. Good and bad. I play the good kind."

I've completely outgrown some music that I liked as a kid and love some music I enjoyed as a kid every bit as much today as I did then.

Comment

There's very little music I can't find something to like about. I've always liked music that strikes me as being real, beautiful and soulful.

But that could be anything from blues to jazz to Motown to rock to classical to folk to country to...Joni Mitchell, the Beatles and the Beach Boys.

When Louis Armstrong was asked what kind of music he played he said: "There's only two kinds of music. Good and bad. I play the good kind."

I've completely outgrown some music that I liked as a kid and love some music I enjoyed as a kid every bit as much today as I did then.

Good post. Even though we can butt heads occasionally, we seem to have the same feelings about music.

Comment

I cut my rock-'n-roll teeth on Jimi, The Beatles, The Stones, The Doors, Steppenwolf, etc., etc. But none of those make my current playlist except Jimi. His music stands the test of time.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

I cut my rock-'n-roll teeth on Jimi, The Beatles, The Stones, The Doors, Steppenwolf, etc., etc. But none of those make my current playlist except Jimi. His music stands the test of time.
                            I play a few of my favorite Beatles CD's. Jimi I only listen to if I want to learn something. I learned how to play guitar by slowing down the first few Rolling Stones albums and put on Little Red Rooster the other day to relearn Brian Jones slide guitar parts. Still love Dylan. Still love Joni. Still love Muddy and BB. But with so much music online these days I rarely play my vinyl or CD's.

Comment

. . . these days I rarely play my vinyl or CD's.
                              I've been playing some vinyl lately simply because there's a resurgence of vinyl interest in my "other" favorite forum about vintage audio. So I dragged out several of my old turntables. Like pickups, it's amazing how many I have tucked away once you start digging them out.

Comment

Working...
                              X