Help with a Puresalem reverberation pickups change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with a Puresalem reverberation pickups change

Hello, i am a newbie in the changing pickups game. I hope someone can help me. First, i have a Puresalem reverberation, like the one below. Single Coil on the bridge, humbucker on the neck, one tone, one volume knot, floating bridge.

Click image for larger version

Name:	reverberation.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	5854748

I just got a 59 model humbucker with the C shielded cable for the neck, and want to get either the little 59 for tele or the little 59 for strat for the bridge, but i dont know which one to choose, i just want a balanced sound, nothing fancy, just want them to play along nice together. Any suggestions which would be better suited for my guitar?

Another question. I want to split-coil the little 59 (whichever one i get), would there be a problem that the neck humbucker can't be split? How would the wiring should be done?

Thanks in advance

Re: Help with a Puresalem reverberation pickups change

Welcome to the forum!

It looks like the guitar has a Tele mount, so that would be my guess...Little 59 for Tele. If the 59 you already have can be split, it would need a 4 conductor cable, and most don't come with that..they come with a braided shield with the hot wire inside. You can get someone (even SD ) to change it to a 4 conductor wire if you need it. As far as splitting the Little 59...you might find that it sounds better in parallel, which keeps its hum-cancelling. To me, the Little Humbuckers don't do such a great job split, but really shine in parallel, but you might try. All you'd need is a push/pull pot for either. Cool guitar!
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Cool looking guitar. Kind of like Keith's Tele.

I'd be careful that the 59 neck pickup doesn't overpower the bridge pickup.

Don't know that I'd bother splitting or running the Little 59 in parallel unless you're just curious about what that sounds like.

My guess is that you're going to prefer the Little 59 in series for maximum output.
      “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Thanks! Another question before i make my choice: which single cool bridge pickup would you choose to pair with the 59 humbucker on the neck? Again, i just want both to complement each other, but also that they can hold their ground on their own.

Comment

Originally posted by Robobestia View Post
          Thanks! Another question before i make my choice: which single cool bridge pickup would you choose to pair with the 59 humbucker on the neck? Again, i just want both to complement each other, but also that they can hold their ground on their own.
          If noiseless is a must then the Little 59 is a good choice. It gets rave reviews.

Or you could look at pickups from the Duncan Custom Shop. Maybe the Little Pearly Gates for Tele. That uses an alnico 2 magnet.

Custom Telecaster Pickups From The Seymour Duncan Custom Shop. If you dream it, we can build it.

Or you could call the Custom Shop, tell them you're using a 59N in the neck and see what they recommend.

My favorite Tele bridge pickup comes from the Duncan Custom Shop and they call it the 53 Tapped Tele. It's not noiseless but it has two outputs. Vintage 6.3K and Hot 9.3K.

It's also an alnico 2 pickup so it's very responsive to the way I pick. I can squeeze out those notes a little more easily and the treble is twangy but not so razor sharp like some Tele pickups can be.

I use one in my Strat but it's a Tele pickup.

I never use the vintage tap! The Hot tap sounds so good it's all I ever use.

It's supposed to be Seymour's favorite too.
          Last edited by Lewguitar; 07-15-2020, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Look also at the Jerry Donahue, which is a loud, but still twangy Tele pickup. It matches well with a 59, and sounds amazing on its own.

Comment

What kind of music do you play? What guitar sounds do you prefer?

Comment

If it's a choice between the Lil59 Tele and the Lil59 Strat, I'd go with the Tele version myself.
                Likely it has a little more output and aggression, which would make it balance better with the neck humbucker.
                And as Mincer said, it will mount in your guitar without drilling extra holes.
                "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I play mostly stoner, acid rock and seventies rock. I prefer less treble and a clean sound on the guitar, i use an orange amp for overdrive.

Comment

I play mostly stoner, acid rock and seventies rock. I prefer less treble and a clean sound on the guitar, i use an orange amp for overdrive.
                    OK. I'd definitely get a Tele style pickup.

The best sounding Tele bridge pickups are single coils, but they hum.

Noiseless Tele bridge pickups don't hum, but they don't sound quite as good.

I tried some Duncan, Dimarzio and Barden noiseless Strat and Tele pickups but eventually I went back to single coils.

I think you'd like the Jerry Donahue. I use one but it's not noiseless. It's warmer than a vintage Tele pickup, fuller in the mids and seems a little hotter.

The noiseless Tele pickups I liked best were the Joe Bardens but they're not what I use now.

It's rare to find what you're looking for the first time. I think the Little 59 for Tele would be a great place to start.

The JB JR. is cool too. Hotter, warmer and fuller than the Little 59, while the Little 59 seems more open and clear.

Neither sound like a vintage Tele pickup. They're both voiced to get the sound of a humbucker in a Strat or Tele size pickup.
                    Last edited by Lewguitar; 07-18-2020, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Hi, well i ended choosing a Vintage Stack Tele in the bridge with 4 cables to mix with a 59' humbucker on the neck with one cable. I have 250k pots, i would like to try to use a pull/push just to take advantage of the Vintage Stack feature. Any ideas what i could do? i am not planning to change the cable on the humbucker right now.

Comment

I don't see a huge advantage to spitting the Vintage Stack- it is not really that different when split. If you have the pot, you can wire it that way, and just not use it if it isn't that much different. I like that the guitar is all hum-cancelling, though.

Comment

Thanks, Mincer can i do the parallel or series with push/pull with these pickups? What do i need?

Comment

I would suggest that you try seeing if the split Stack works for you, first. You might find that there is a big difference. This is the diagram.

Comment

I will do the split stack of the Vintage stack then. About the diagram, my humbucker on the neck have only one cable, and that one is for 4 cables. Sorry to bother but i cant seem to find a diagram for my configuration.
                              It's one volume, one push/pull tone, Vintage stack on the bridge with 4 cables and a 59 humbucker on the neck with one cable. I tried the diagram finder but i cant find one like mine. Please advice, if you can.

Comment

Working...
                              X