Looking for Custom Cab Builder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Custom Cab Builder

Hello, I recently set out to gather information on custom cab options. Now I am ready to move forward, but I need to find a custom cab builder.

Basically, I want a 2x12 cab using Cannabis Rex speakers. I will be using a variety of tube heads through the cab. Eventually, I may want to add an additional 2x12 cab to go along with this one, but I want to start with 1 for now. I would like the materials used for the cab to be lightweight options if available (without sacrificing tone).

The most important detail is that I want this specific tolex to be used to wrap the cab(s): https://www.speakerbuildersupply.com...e-p/tpeb15.htm

Then, after building the guitar cab, I want to order a new bass cab or two as well using the same python blue tolex.

Any cab builders out there looking for work?
    Soundcloud

Re: Looking for Custom Cab Builder

Mauler Custom Cabs are probably the best bang for buck and I think still does tolex or stained cabs. Emperor or Worshipper cabs might do the snakeskin for an upcharge. The guy from Hovercraft just offered some custom tolex options for his heads and he dabbles in cabs too.
    green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

I have to say, that tolex is really cool. I'd love to see it if you get it done. You could always find an empty cab and have it re-covered, and get the speakers you want.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
        Mauler Custom Cabs are probably the best bang for buck and I think still does tolex or stained cabs. Emperor or Worshipper cabs might do the snakeskin for an upcharge. The guy from Hovercraft just offered some custom tolex options for his heads and he dabbles in cabs too.
        Thank you, I will take a look in this direction as soon as I have a spare moment this evening.
        Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          I have to say, that tolex is really cool. I'd love to see it if you get it done. You could always find an empty cab and have it re-covered, and get the speakers you want.
          I must admit, I agree with you, that tolex is sweet. I will definitely share some photos whenever I find the right solution and it arrives!
          Soundcloud

Comment

I sent a message to a few of the suggestions. I will keep the thread updated if I have any luck...

Thanks again!
            Soundcloud

Comment

Update from Emperor cabs. Craig from Emperor e-mailed me back almost immediately! I am impressed by that. However, he informed me they do not use tolex on their cabs. Hey, they do some beautiful work so I understand. If I ever need a gorgeous cab, I will definitely look their way. If anyone is facing a similar cab quest in the future, let it be known that Emperor does not use tolex. It might save you some time...

Even though I will not be choosing them for this project, I really appreciate their courtesy.

Craig said they could accommodate my other requests such as potentially designing them so they can stack as well as loading them with C-Rex speakers.
              Soundcloud

Comment

It is official, I am going with Jared from Mauler! Thank you Empty Pockets, I really appreciate you pointing me in the right direction. I am excited to get some new cabs in that python tolex!
                Soundcloud

Comment

Buddy that blue snakeskin tolex is amazing! Lord knows when I would need another cab but it would be worth it just for that.

Looking forward to pics when you get it

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
                  • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
                  • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
                  • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
                  • G&L Tribute Comanche
                  • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
                  • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
                  • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Are you going closed back, or having some sort of porting or converable option?

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Metalman_666 View Post
                      Buddy that blue snakeskin tolex is amazing! Lord knows when I would need another cab but it would be worth it just for that.

Looking forward to pics when you get it

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
                      I agree! That us why I decided to get all new cabs, bass and guitar. I love that tolex!
                      Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                        Are you going closed back, or having some sort of porting or converable option?

So far we have tabled the discussion for the evening. I am still deciding on some details. I did decide it will be a 28x20x15. I have not asked about a convertible option, I would like that even if it costs more I think.

I have not discussed porting with him yet. I know I will put more emphasis on porting when I begin discussing a 2x15 bass cab with him after this first 2x12... but Demanic, you have a boatload of gear and XP, do you like porting with 2x12 cabs and do you think you would mess with porting with C-Rex speakers?
                        Soundcloud

Comment

Jared is a great guy if you can deal with his southern-fried sense of humor hahaha. I've been friends via social media with him for a long time and he's made a lot of kick-ass gear for mutual friends. I would trust his suggestions about design implicitly; he's built a little bit of everything.
                          green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
                            Jared is a great guy if you can deal with his southern-fried sense of humor hahaha. I've been friends via social media with him for a long time and he's made a lot of kick-ass gear for mutual friends. I would trust his suggestions about design implicitly; he's built a little bit of everything.
                            I am really excited to be discussing the cab details with him. He really knows what he is talking about with cab talk, and he is very careful to discuss what heads I will be using to make sure I do not blow any of them.

I have asked him a lot of questions and he has been extremely helpful. I will definitely be buying a few cabs from him and if anybody is wondering, his prices are very good. I will never reveal prices for custom ordered gear, so do not ask me, but if anybody does need a cab, do not be afraid to get an estimate from him. It is not going to cause sticker shock for most people in the market for new cabs.

On a side note, he says the Oxblood grill cloth will really pop with the blue snakeskin. So, I am having trouble deciding between the Oxblood and the Mesa Black grill cloth from Speaker Builder Supply. That is my biggest decision at the moment but it is a killer...
                            Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by SnakeAces View Post
                              So far we have tabled the discussion for the evening. I am still deciding on some details. I did decide it will be a 28x20x15. I have not asked about a convertible option, I would like that even if it costs more I think.

I have not discussed porting with him yet. I know I will put more emphasis on porting when I begin discussing a 2x15 bass cab with him after this first 2x12... but Demanic, you have a boatload of gear and XP, do you like porting with 2x12 cabs and do you think you would mess with porting with C-Rex speakers?
                              I have a 2x12 that used to be a combo amp. I removed the amp when it died and sealed up the open back. The hole in the front where the control panel used to be I left open so that's now the port. It has a Texas Heat and Swamp Thang in it and it sounds huge. I think porting a cab with C-Rex's would probably sound great.

Comment

Working...
                              X