banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best option for quick swap/test of pickups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best option for quick swap/test of pickups?

What’s been your preferred method for quick swapping pickups to try them out? Imagine demoing 3-6 pickups in a rather quick manner. Maybe releasing trem springs and removing the bridge or locking tuners with a bit of extra wraps to allow removal of a TOM.

I know the old school way is soldering but how many have used the Liberators? How about small Molex connectors? On my main Strat I almost did a three way connector for the jack and bridge ground but the latest pickguard was a prewired one that has the small screw terminals.

Usually the standard type wiring on switches/pots is super fast and easy, it’s the back of pot grounds that are more frustrating for me. Also, anything with complex switching where you are using 3/4 leads plus ground can be a bit more complex and more care is needed to get correct.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Re: Best option for quick swap/test of pickups?

i bet i hold the record on this:

HH superstrat style guitar with locking trem.
    + EMGs or other with quickconnect. at the PU

1)lower pickup in frame. unmount pickup frame

2)divebomb so the string flutter and remove pickup. my guitar allows for enough slack in the strings.

3)insert other humbucker already mounted in a pickup frame.

shorter screws makes i way more easy to get the pickup in and out

Comment

I can see how EMGs (and others that use the same interconnect like Fluence) would be very easy.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I'm a big fan of the Liberator. Surprised more people here don't use/talk about them for as often as most of us are moving pickups around!

Comment

Relish has the best system, unfortunately it's not very cost effective to get pickups in the Relish mounts just for testing/demo'ing
          sigpic
          Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

Their guitars aren't cheap either
            sigpic
            Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

Originally posted by ToneFiddler View Post
              i bet i hold the record on this:

HH superstrat style guitar with locking trem.
              + EMGs or other with quickconnect. at the PU

1)lower pickup in frame. unmount pickup frame

2)divebomb so the string flutter and remove pickup. my guitar allows for enough slack in the strings.

3)insert other humbucker already mounted in a pickup frame.

shorter screws makes i way more easy to get the pickup in and out
              That's similar to what I used to do. Instead of using quick connect, I had the neck and bridge connections on the guitar wired to a set screw connection so that I could test any pickup in it. That all ended when I screwed it up trying to add Jimmy Page switching and a master tone and bass cut. I screwed something up and can't be bothered to find out what it was.
              You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
              Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I did not like working with the Liberator. MojoTone and ObsidianWire make solderless harnesses with quality components. You're limited to LP, SG, Strat, and Tele though. A swap can be done in about 5 min. You spend more time on the strings than the actual pickup swaps.

For other guitar types you can probably find solderless parts to fit your needs from Mad Hatter. You basically assemble the harness yourself, so it's more work on your end.
                Last edited by BluesIsBlood12; 07-15-2020, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Alligator clips with screw terminals can save a little time for testing.

Comment

I use terminal strips inside the control cavity. Disconnect from terminal strip, loosen strings, slide out pickup, slide new one in, attach to terminal strip, tighten strings.

When I looked into liberators, they didn't have long shaft 500k for Les Pauls. Don't know if that's changed.

Comment

I’m ok with up front work. I want to have an afternoon where I could try out quite a few pickups in succession.
                      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                        What’s been your preferred method for quick swapping pickups to try them out? Imagine demoing 3-6 pickups in a rather quick manner. Maybe releasing trem springs and removing the bridge or locking tuners with a bit of extra wraps to allow removal of a TOM.

I know the old school way is soldering but how many have used the Liberators? How about small Molex connectors? On my main Strat I almost did a three way connector for the jack and bridge ground but the latest pickguard was a prewired one that has the small screw terminals.

Usually the standard type wiring on switches/pots is super fast and easy, it’s the back of pot grounds that are more frustrating for me. Also, anything with complex switching where you are using 3/4 leads plus ground can be a bit more complex and more care is needed to get correct.
                        I've done this with the Liberator. That is the easiest, and I've also attached molex connectors to them, too, and just snapped them in. It still takes time, though.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                          I use terminal strips inside the control cavity. Disconnect from terminal strip, loosen strings, slide out pickup, slide new one in, attach to terminal strip, tighten strings.

When I looked into liberators, they didn't have long shaft 500k for Les Pauls. Don't know if that's changed.

Very cool. I have been planning to set something up very similar, the next time I do a re-wire job.

I was planning on using this style of connector hardware, but I think I like your "terminal strip" style better. Smaller footprint.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
                          Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                            I've done this with the Liberator. That is the easiest, and I've also attached molex connectors to them, too, and just snapped them in. It still takes time, though.
                            Did you have a Gibson PCB with the Molex connectors or did you prewire a harness?
                            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                              Did you have a Gibson PCB with the Molex connectors or did you prewire a harness?
                              I wired the Molex connectors myself.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                              X