Pegasus as neck pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pegasus as neck pickup

A year ago I tried the Pegasus in one of my 7 string guitars and even though it's a killer pickup I prefer ceramic pickups in the bridge position. I've got another 7 string which I will change the pickups. Usually I go with Sentient or Jazz as neck pickups but since I already own the Pegasus I'm thinking about trying it out as a neck pickup. Haven't decided yet if I go for the Omega or Black Winter as bridge pickup.

Any thoughts about that combo or placing the Pegasus as a neck pickup? The guitar is a swamp ash body with ebony fretboard.

Re: Pegasus as neck pickup

A 12k A5 pup in the neck will be really fat. It could work if that's what you want. You could also put a ceramic in it and continue using it as a bridge pickup.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

Ok I need to think about. Changing the Pegasus to ceramic seems a bit over my competence. 😅

I guess I get a new neck pickup that suits to my bridge pickup. Thanks for you help!

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
      A 12k A5 pup in the neck will be really fat. It could work if that's what you want. You could also put a ceramic in it and continue using it as a bridge pickup.

Comment

This might work if you can keep the articulation when set pretty low. I've never tried it in the neck, but the hard part is that when set at 'normal' height, it will most likely hit the amp too hard and overpower the bridge. Lots of people use a JB in the neck, so powerful pickups can work, but it just depends on what you use the neck pickup for.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Ok, that might work. I’ve previously done similar when having a high output neck pickup combined with a bridge with lower output. 95% of my playing is high gain stuff mostly rhythm. Some lead and some clean, but for clean I’ve got a couple of guitars that do that great. Sentient is the best neck pickup I’ve played imho because it’s a nice blend between 59 and jazz. I’ve got a couple of guitars with Alnico pickups and those are great as well but for lower tunings ceramic pickups just cuts mix better like the Nazgul or Distortion for example. Perhaps I give the Pegasus a try then, worst case scenario I just need to switch the neck pickup later.

I guess I need to grab a bridge pickup with high output, like the Black Winter.

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          This might work if you can keep the articulation when set pretty low. I've never tried it in the neck, but the hard part is that when set at 'normal' height, it will most likely hit the amp too hard and overpower the bridge. Lots of people use a JB in the neck, so powerful pickups can work, but it just depends on what you use the neck pickup for.

Comment

Put a ceramic in the Pegasus and swap the poles for hexes and leave it as a bridge pickup.

Comment

Well that's something I never done before. Perhaps it's easier than it sounds. Too bad if I ruin a very good pickup. ��

Originally posted by Bowtomecha View Post
              Put a ceramic in the Pegasus and swap the poles for hexes and leave it as a bridge pickup.

Comment

It might sound good wired in parallel. I can see that working as a good neck pickup.

Comment

Sounds like a plan. Will probably get a bridge pickup with really high output as well. Any suggestions? ��

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  It might sound good wired in parallel. I can see that working as a good neck pickup.
                  Last edited by Grim; 07-17-2020, 12:36 PM.

Comment

It would probably work well with an Alternative 8.

Comment

Originally posted by Grim View Post
                      Well that's something I never done before. Perhaps it's easier than it sounds. Too bad if I ruin a very good pickup.
                      It would for sure balance volume wise with a Black Winter. The only thing is hotter bridge hums in the neck don't really sound that bad ass like they do in the bridge. I tried a C5 in the neck once and it just sounded like plain slop. Nothing to write home about. It's just a different sound. You might like it. Mag swapping is super easy tho.
                      The things that you wanted
                      I bought them for you

Comment

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it!

I've to think about what I do with this guitar modification. Perhaps I get the liberator and do a couple of tests.

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                        It would for sure balance volume wise with a Black Winter. The only thing is hotter bridge hums in the neck don't really sound that bad ass like they do in the bridge. I tried a C5 in the neck once and it just sounded like plain slop. Nothing to write home about. It's just a different sound. You might like it. Mag swapping is super easy tho.

Comment

Working...
                        X