Clear All

Re: UGD - Photos and Impressions

My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

Wow what a great weekend!!!! I was truely blown away by how we were all treated. I was skeptical going in. I thought maybe they would use us for research or some other direct business purposes. Well there was none of that going on at all. It was simply a great company saying thanks to their customers.

I am a real estate developer and amatuer guitar player and I was treated like a rock star for a day. To think that any company cares about their customers so much as to put on an event like this, at Considerable cost to them (I know, I run a real estate club with 200 members and through similar scale events), really restores my faith in American business. I currently own at least 15 of their pickups. I will continue to use their products and can't wait for the opportunity to do additional business with them.

The highlight of the event for me was the well written speach by BD2. It was truely moving and left Seymour speachless. Thanks to all who were involved with the guitars and making it happen. I only wish I knew about it in advance. Great job.

Comment

That weekend will definitely go down in my book as an amazing gathering of my favorite types of good people. Very rare that every single forum member there was nothing short of a true friend! This isn't just an internet community, it really is a group of real life friends.

Thursday, most of us assembled at a cool downtown bar, Joe's, where I sat with Curly, Jeremy, Cathy Duncan, Krankguitarist, Scott F, Brisk, B2D, and London Clash. I started to see how cool this weekend would go!

Late Thursday, a few guys like Blue Calx and B2D came to our room, where we sat around just talking and plinking on our guitars. Already, I could see all the different styles displayed in front of me, which was great fun! Blue Calx and I couldn't find a bottle opener, so we used the hole in the door jamb for an opener! LOL

Friday, we met at the SD company, where I got to finally meet GoMano, Stevo, T4D, Jumpmarine, Youngpup, Jolly, Jeff H, Brisk, and far too many to list! The factory tour was exciting, and seeing all the workers was a great experience! Such a skilled bunch of pickup makers! I got to jam in the amp room as well as an acoustic jam with Jolly and Jeff H. Also memorable was talking to Seymour at his slide presentation.
          Creating my pickup gave me a greater respect for all the hardworking individuals on the production floor. Upstairs, I talked to the IT guy and Madison....what a doll!

Toward the afternoon, I met with Curly, Stevo, GoMano, and George Lynch, while setting up and doing a soundcheck with all the amps. I traded a few licks with George Lynch, which felt surreal, especially when I cracked him up by doing some Dokken riffs! hahahaha....I couldn't resist. It was funny to me. LOL
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

The jam was super cool, but nerve wracking at the same time, not knowing what to get up and play. I sat at my table scribbling the lyrics to Clapton's Cocaine on a napkin, hoping like hell I'd remember them when I hit the stage. I very rarely sing lead, so it was a real bold move for me to make that decision! I pulled off the lyrics, but fumbled a couple lines, just trying to sing the right verses! Once I hit the lead part, I felt like I was back in my comfort zone, so I just solo'ed out the end of the song. My apologies for hogging up the solo. I was nervous and forgot to pass the solo to someone else! Ooops!

Late that night, Jolly, Jeff H, Bones, and Dirtbag, and I hit the whiskey at Jolly's hotel room and listened to some of my crazy stories, while we jammed on Jolly's LP and Jeff's POD.

Saturday morning, I sat around with Jolly, Jeff, Mike Rocker, Seymour, Evan, and Pongo? and talked gear. The highlight was Seymour's story about Hendrix. Apparently, a bunch of Japanese businessmen from Goya Guitars handed Hendrix a crappy Jap guitar, hoping for an endorsement deal. Jimi was playing it and clearly thought it was a P.O.S. Hendrix winked at Seymour, then proceeded to smash the guitar into the wall. The Japanese reps, who probably worked on that guitar stood there stunned, then started laughing, clapping, and saying "Ah, Jimi, ha ha Jimi Hendrix, ah so! LOL Basically laughing at themselves, out of disappointment.

Also, I asked Seymour how he liked his new Mark Knopfler Sig model Strat. He was surprised I knew about it. I asked him if he kept the stock pickups in it. He replied "oh NO, I put in the same pickups I've always wound for Mark! LOL Priceless!!!

After hitting a few music stores in town and buying a few small parts, my fiance and I came home and prepared a KILLER South of the Border Dinner! I made my best guacamole and she prepared Flautas and Pico De Gallo. In the evening Jolly and Jeff H showed up and were fully blown away by the dinner. Jolly had tears in his eyes and said "I'm not F'in kidding, this is the BEST food I've ever eaten.....I was gonna say it was in the top 2, but NO, this is the BEST. Jolly, I'm sending you some Tapatillo hotsauce!!!

That night, we played all our guitars through my Silver Jubilee Marshall and got to hear my new overwound Custom 5 in my LP. AWESOME pickup! A few drinks later, and we crashed at 3.

Anyone who makes it to the San Fernando Valley, Ca. is always welcome here!
            Last edited by Gearjoneser; 04-25-2005, 10:36 PM.
            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Blue Calx and I couldn't find a bottle opener, so we used the hole in the door jamb for an opener! LOL
              Sorry I spilled Guinness all over your carpet. BAA HAA HAAA

Comment

OK, repost of my pics since Jeremy apparently had his "Father" flood the last thread.

I gots more to post, I just gotta get em' scanned, because they were on regular old film.

Comment

Evan, Evan, Evan... what are we going to do with you... (anyone remember the time I flushed the entire board?!?)

I'm betting Mojo stole Evan's password while jeremy was at work today.

This was my personal Woodstock. I got to hang with some unbelievable bros. I had a great time. I was really sad on Saturday when I had to drive north to SF and the rest of the guitar shop gang was heading over to the pier to have a last few drinks. I was quite jealous to know that on Sat night, while I was sitting in a hotel watching a rerun of SNL, jolly and jeff were partying at QJ's. That blew.

I loved making my own pickup. I had an incredible time on State street on Thursday. But, the slight hangover on Friday led me to just skipping the Atomic Punks show after the jam.

The jam... wow. Standing next to Seymour, laying down the rhythm while he and B2D solo'd. Then Seymour looks at me and says, "you want it?" and, I just couldn't refuse. I have hardly been nervous but a handful of times in the last 20 years. This one took the cake. I was truly nervous playing next to THE MAN. But, Evan provided the line that morning that this jam would be the one place that you could play in front of the most supportive group you'd ever find. So, I sucked it up and got up there and did it. I'm very glad now that I didn't chicken out.

I'm dying trying to get a good quality pic of myself playing next to Seymour. So, if anyone has one, please email it to me or make me a copy if you were using oldschool film. PLEASE!!!!!!

Who was that photographer that had his camera on teh tripod at the Jam? Maybe he got the picture I'm seeking.

Meeting you guys was a blast. I'd be talking to someone, then I'd ask them their username and it was like, oh crap, it's you!

I'll post more memories when I can. Let's just say that if we ever do it again, I'll be there, ready to play my butt off if I get the chance.

I won't go into specific people on this thread. Everyone I met, I had a nice time talking with. I felt like we're a pretty decent group of guys just from being on this forum, but after UGD, I feel very very close to a lot of you. I can say I've cemented in some life long friendships.

With all the utter evil in the world today, stuff I have to deal with on a daily basis, UGD really gave me some new outlooks, showed me that the world really isn't totally going to hell. Not when there's a bunch of great folks like yourselves. Kudos to the SD company for putting this one. Bigger kudos for those of you that sold guitars, raised money, etc. to buy your air tickets and spending money. Some of you sacrificed a lot to get here. Hats off to you.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Calx
                    OK, repost of my pics since Jeremy apparently had his "Father" flood the last thread.
                    I guess that's a compliment.... But really... I'm kind of high up there in the organization. But not that high up there!

Thanks to everyone for re-posting. And, again, sorry.
                    Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
                    Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

hearing all these stories and seeing all the pics (mostly from the old thread, but here too), i almost feel like i was there. somebody should compile everybodys posts into a book
                      Originally posted by Aceman
                      It was the age of suave. Men were men, and women were smacked and thrown on the bed and loved it.

Comment

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by Blue Calx

I guess that's a compliment.... But really... I'm kind of high up there in the organization. But not that high up there!

Thanks to everyone for re-posting. And, again, sorry.
                        WHOOPS! That wouldn't be the first time I got you and Jeremy confused in my head! HA HA HA!

Comment

Originally posted by ex-250
                          hearing all these stories and seeing all the pics (mostly from the old thread, but here too), i almost feel like i was there. somebody should compile everybodys posts into a book
                          That's actually not a bad idea; to print it all out in a few days and make a little book out of everyones' recollections. That would be cool. What's cooler though is nobody's recollections will EVER be quelled or forgotten. Not ever. It was just too powerful of a time.

Comment

The guy with the tripod was SD engineer Wayne. His pictures should be available soon.

Comment

Who was the dude with the video camera with the rad ink sleeves? I flipped him off when he called me Goth.
                              THERE IS TOO MUCH METAL IN MY SIGNATURE AAAAAHHHHHH

Comment

It was pure bliss, even reading most of it for the second time, and with the filter of time since it happened mixed in. If you got to be there, know how special it was. I have no doubt that you guys will remember it for the rest of your lives.
                                Mr. Way Too Proud of Texas Guy

Nothing nothing nothing, nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing.

Comment

Working...
                                X