Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UGD - Photos and Impressions

Originally posted by London_Clash
    Who was the dude with the video camera with the rad ink sleeves? I flipped him off when he called me Goth.
    He's Kip Fulbeck. He's an art professor at UCSB and he also plays guitar.

You can read more about him here.
    Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
    Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Seymour Duncan User Group Day Speech
      Approx. 3:45 pm, April 22nd, 2005 - Santa Barbara, California, U.S.A.
      By Brendan Dora

~~~

A prominent guitar builder by the name of Paul Reed Smith once said, “A musical instrument is defined by its quotient of magic.” The big question is, where does this magic come from? Some would say that the magic resides in the wood of the instrument. Stradivarius violins are an example of this. Others would argue that those qualities are determined by the skill of the person who built it. Bob Taylor and his Pallet Guitars make a strong case for that. Certain people would surmise that the magic happens when all the parts are assembled correctly and the instrument becomes a single entity. Billy Gibbons recently said of Pearly Gates, his famed 1959 Les Paul, that is was, “simply on the assembly line at the right time. The right glue, the right wood, the right finish on the right day.” Some people, such as myself and probably many of you, believe that it is a combination of all of these things and more. The magic happens when the complete instrument produces a result that is worth more than the sum of its parts. An instrument like that and the sounds it produces can speak to people and put them in touch with their music in ways that not many other things can.

It would seem certain that among this particular group of people gathered here today, guitars in general and electric guitars and basses in particular seem to speak to us the most. In my opinion, electric guitars and basses are so wonderful because no other instruments offer such an unlimited supply of opportunities to create one’s own signature sound while maintaining such close contact with the instrument itself. The number of available combinations of devices that can be used to help us find our sound have never been greater. And yet every one of us has a particular favorite combination – a secret weapon. Most of us will always seem to rely on some sort of special ingredient that is essential to us in achieving our own sound. This essential, more often than not, can not only improve our sound but it can unlock sonic doorways we couldn’t pass through before. The tones can open up our minds as well as our hands and unleash sounds that we thought were out of reach. The tones become more than a sound, they become a source of inspiration. For many in the guitar and bass-playing universe, Seymour Duncan pickups are these essential ingredients

Some people are so inspired by good sounds that they devote their lives to exploring these sonic pathways. Just as they once were and continue to be fascinated by such an intriguing science, they wish to bring that same curiosity, fascination, and ultimately the fruits of their labor to others so that they might feel the same. These people that devote their lives to such things are rare breeds. Mr. Seymour Duncan is this type of person. I recall reading an article in an issue of Guitar Player Magazine with a detailed profile on Mr. Duncan with some fascinating information about his career. There was one section in particular that caught my eye. It told of when he was based in Montecito, CA in the late 70’s, making pickups by hand to fill a large Japanese order for Strat-style pickups. It describes him hand-crafting each one, using a router to cut the fiber top and bottom pieces and hand-drilling the polepeice holes. Mr. Duncan is then quoted as saying, “I made hundreds of pickups that way. I was breathing so much vulcanized fiber dust that I’d go to bed at night and be hallucinating from the chemicals.” If that isn’t devotion to one’s craft, I don’t know what is.

(cont'd on next page)

Comment

(cont'd)

Seymour Duncan has pickup making down to a fine art. It takes a special type of skill to be able to take a mess of plastic, wire, and metal and transform it into a work of art that will become the single most vital link in the chain of tone that runs through an electric instrument rig. So vital is this link that it can transform an instrument that was once relatively tame and harmless into a sweet, singing, soul machine or a vicious, snarling beast. This kind of transformation can and often does change a person’s view of the instrument in question and their ideas of tone creation as a whole. Sometimes players become so intrigues by the possibilities of what this kind of modification can offer that they begin to create pickups of their own. Sometimes they do it just for curiosity and fun, but sometimes they feel compelled to travel down a road that hasn’t been walked before. Every now and then, people will create instruments of their own around that premise. And once in a very great while, players of all types will come together and create an instrument as a way of giving back to someone and saying thanks for bringing something really cool into their life, and for making them sound that much better.

Once upon a time in a Guitar-and-pickups forum inside a mainframe not very far away, an idea arose that such an instrument be built. It was to be a collaboration by guitar and bass playing Seymour Duncan devotees, tone nuts, and the occasional gear whore as a way of saying thanks to the person who helped to inspire them in a lifelong musical journey.

One day in late November 2004, a forum member living in Lisbon, Portugal, named darkshadow54321 suggested the following: “As a cool Christmas present for Seymour, and as an excellent time capsule, we should create a forum guitar!” The idea literally exploded into being as ideas and suggestions for the instrument came in at an almost frightening pace. Within a few days an Internet PayPal account was set up as a fund to finance the project, and several members from the board contributed money to the special fund. It was also agreed that any leftover funds from the ForumCaster Project account would be donated to St. Jude’s Hospital, where a forum member’s son is currently being treated. Seymour’s personal favorite specifications were provided by Evan Skopp as a guide to constructing the instrument, as we all agreed that we wanted this to be a guitar that Mr. Duncan actually would play as opposed to hanging on the wall. A semi-secret section of the forum was put up so that we would have some sort of camouflage for the project. In the meantime we just had to pray that Seymour didn’t get keyboard happy in his spare time. As the project came together, contributions came in from all over the world, and even Warmoth Guitar Products chipped in on the project as well by donating a body and a neck with a few custom-designed features.

Over the next few months the project slowly materialized and a plan was put into motion to present the guitar to Seymour. After a few brainstorming sessions the idea for a special “User Group Day” held at the Duncan factory seemed to hold the most appeal. As the plans were being finalized, Evan Skopp remarked, “This is going to be epic.” So now, almost 7 months after the project began, we are gathered here today to celebrate this thing called tone… and that other thing, called music. But the important this is to recognize what brought us here, a sharing for the love of the wonderful art that is music, and a display of appreciation for the people who are truly instrumental in making it happen.

Seymour, this one’s for you!

Comment

Can I puhleeze have your permission to edit your post and insert the dog killing other dog shrieks? Good lord that was funny.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

That's an epic speech, Brendan!
            Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
            Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

They definatly picked right person for the job of writing that. Cheers on a kick-ass speech, Brendanator!

Comment

Thank you, thank you...

*grabs a 12-gauge and fires off a few rounds at the dogs*

Seriously I just tried to speak from the heart and say what I really felt about everything that had taken place and try to capture the essence of how cool it all was. I'm glad people liked it!

Cathy, Billy, and Seymour (and maybe Evan?) all wanted a copy. I got Cathy's business card with a mail addy but didn't get the others, if someone at Duncan could PM the adresses to me I could email a copy of that speech you them.

HEY LC!!! Get your pics up!
                Last edited by B2D; 04-26-2005, 01:08 AM.

Comment

I've been waiting for days to "hear" that. Thanks, B. As far as I'm concerned, you did us all proud. Even with the hounds of hell...lol
                  Mr. Way Too Proud of Texas Guy

Nothing nothing nothing, nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing.

Comment

A re-enactment for those who couldn't attend...

In all seriousness, B2D, that was a great, heartfelt speech...I got a lump
                    in my throat hearing you deliver it--well done!!

Comment

that speech is amazing. great work bro =)

is there a video of this? anything? when will it be up? man i so wish i was there =(

Comment

ROTFL!!!!

I like this pic, m'self...

Comment

Originally posted by Great_Kazoo
                          A re-enactment for those who couldn't attend...

In all seriousness, B2D, that was a great, heartfelt speech...I got a lump
                          in my throat hearing you deliver it--well done!!
                          Yep, that's about how it went!!!!!
                          It was a great speech, in spite of the DiMarzio Canines of Hell.

Comment

Originally posted by B2D
                            ROTFL!!!!

I like this pic, m'self...
                            this pic is priceless

Comment

THERE IS TOO MUCH METAL IN MY SIGNATURE AAAAAHHHHHH

Comment

my pics are available here - http://photobucket.com/albums/v217/tone4days/
                                gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Working...
                                X