banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any tips on how to get rid of ambient noise on recordings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any tips on how to get rid of ambient noise on recordings?

I'm using Cool Edit Pro 2 Whenever I record something that isn't very loud or full, such as a lead part ot something with 6ths etc. I get alot of ambient noise in the background. Part of it, I can tell, is the hum from my computer, so i guess moving the mic as far from the computer as possible would help. Does anyone have any other tips on how to take away ambient noise from recordings? Is there something in Cool Edit that can help with that?

Re: Any tips on how to get rid of ambient noise on recordings?

The problem with PC recording is that the louder your PC is, the more noise you´ll have. Just a technical barrier that´s there. That´s the reason Manu and I both use watercooled systems which we both custom built for minimum noise emission.

Took our ambient noise on recordings down by over half
    Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Sound like an interference or grounding problem. Is your monitor on while you are recording? Try turning it off.

How are you recording? What is the mike connected to (direct to audio card or preamp).

Have you switched off the internal mike of the PC (with Windows mixer)? The setting can be somewhat hidden sometimes.

Marin
      °
      my stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Marinblues
        ....Have you switched off the internal mike of the PC (with Windows mixer)? The setting can be somewhat hidden sometimes.

Marin
        I think you mean the Internal speaker, which wouldn´t have a notable effect.

In 10 years of IT I´ve never seen an internal Mike. And come to think of it, there wouldn´t be any logic in inventing and installing one, at least as far as I can think at present

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus
          I think you mean the Internal speaker, which wouldn´t have a notable effect.

In 10 years of IT I´ve never seen an internal Mike. And come to think of it, there wouldn´t be any logic in inventing and installing one, at least as far as I can think at present
          All laptops have an internal mike. Perhaps you should leave your IT Data Center now and then and visit a computer shop. Laptops are those small, flat looking computers.

I use one for recording and the internal mike can be a hassle if you are using an external one. A lot of people use them these days for music.

Welcome to 2004

Marin
          °
          my stuff

Comment

Hey, I use cooledit pro 2.0 and there are many different filters you can choose from to manipulate the sound in the way you want. Most of them even have a preview option. I suggest you dig into that program some more.

Comment

All laptops have an internal mike. Perhaps you should leave your IT Data Center now and then and visit a computer shop. Laptops are those small, flat looking computers.

I use one for recording and the internal mike can be a hassle if you are using an external one. A lot of people use them these days for music.

Welcome to 2004

Marin
              I forgot about Lappies. Probably because you´re the first person I´ve ever heard of that uses one for recording. Mainly because it´s impossible to add multitrack cards

Then again, I tend to forget lappies as soon as I leave work, because I hate them. For me they´re square frisbees that cost too much for what they do (But there ARE people that need them, I´m not questioning their "right to exist" )

But either way, 1:0 for you
              Last edited by Zerberus; 04-17-2004, 02:08 PM.

Comment

I forgot about Lappies. Probably because you´re the first person I´ve ever heard of that uses one for recording.
                ...did you say "10 years in IT"?

J.Satriani, Eric Clapton, John Mclaughlin.....just to name a few.

Mainly because it´s impossible to add multitrack cards
                Oh yeah.... sure....
                http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=...3079e9df39c81f

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=...1119907053a313

Then again, I tend to forget lappies as soon as I leave work, because I hate them. For me they´re square frisbees that cost too much for what they do (But there ARE people that need them, I´m not questioning their "right to exist" )
                Sure...

Getting back to the original topic: whether you hate them or not or whether they have no use in your personal of professional life, they still are PCs and have internal mikes, which can cause background noise if not properly muted.
                °
                my stuff

Comment

...did you say "10 years in IT"?
                  Yes, I did. I´ve been working on and with computers semi-professionally or "more" since the Atari ST, My first computer was an Atari 400. I am an MCSE and am working on my MCDBA, "Commercial IT support and Network administration" and "Specific knowledge of Computer-Studio technology" are 2 essentially different things. It is more than possible to excel in one and have less idea of the other than one may think (as I´m finding out as we speak). But I don´t think my professional qualifications or PC background are the topic here. Nor should they be, somebody is asking for advice, not my biography.

I should have figured that this would come, considering things like the SB Extigy for the consumer market, but again, I´m out of the loop. Obviously a bit farther than I thought. But then again, why should I have a pletora of information that I´ll never need, like what accessories are available to turn a lappie into a studio, when I don´t ever plan on owning a Lappie. And YES, I saw that it was USB and could therefore be used with most any PC of the last few years that fulfills the other requirements. I still think that a decent PCI card and/ or a Mixing console and HD Recorder will do the job better

Sure...

Getting back to the original topic: whether you hate them or not or whether they have no use in your personal of professional life, they still are PCs and have internal mikes, which can cause background noise if not properly muted.
                  Again, In my professional life they are one of my main peeves, people that screw up their lappies grow on trees in our company. And if you read all of my post, you would have seen that I already acknowledged my knowledge "hole" (which was more of a lapse anyway) and said you were right. So where´s the point in trying to cram it down my throat? ?

But right now I have more the feeling that you are more than anything else questioning my personal integrity / truthfulness and thereby (in this situation) my qualification to do my job or give any advice pertaining to computers in general. I hope I´m wrong on that point

BTT and Peace.
                  Last edited by Zerberus; 04-17-2004, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X