Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Basswood guitar body for custom strat, suggestions?

Default Basswood guitar body for custom strat, suggestions?

Most likely I'm going to use basswood for my warmoth build. Why? I've played a lot of basswood guitars including a strat made of one and they simply sounded awesome. Not to mention others I've played like the Ibanez Satch model, Ernie Ball Petrucci, Axis, Tom Anderson Strat, that all had basswood bodies sound great and that's the type of tone I'm going for. I know the wood is fairly soft but that's not so much of an issue. Mahogany was my 2nd choice but I fear that may be a little too heavy. Swamp ash and Alder don't seem to lend the type of sound I'm looking for. This will end up being a dual humbucker hot rodded strat. I just wanted to see if anyone has any comments about it before I commit to it.

Default Re: Basswood guitar body for custom strat, suggestions?

here's a good quote:

"There are differences in basswood between asian basswood and american basswood. The american version is lighter and less dense leading to a warmer overall tone, more balanced while the asian woods tend to be heavier and more dense, transmitting more highs. Of course there will be exceptions to every generality with respect to wood."

I have a basswood Strat myself. It's an awesome rock guitar....it doesn't have quite the same brightness or quack of a ash/alder Strat, but it lends itself greatly to warm single coil cleans and it has a touch more bassy chunk when running through it's bridge humbucker.
    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Basswood rocks!

Add a nice maple cap to it and you'll really have something.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.