wrap around tailpiece on LP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wrap around tailpiece on LP

what are the benefits of wrapping your strings around the tailpiece, like Zakk Wylde and many other les paul players do?
    '90 Gibson Les Paul Studio, '96 Jackson DR2, '98 MIM Fender Strat, '05 Ibanez RG7321, '07 Squier 51, '04 ESP LTD B-105

Re: wrap around tailpiece on LP

here ya go...i made this AMAZING super high quality diagram for another thread like this...lol...ok so the diagram sucks but it gives you the info you need...

-Mike
    www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

XSSIVE,will wrapping around "stain" or scratch the tailpice?
      On Munky of Korn:

munky.. they got respect for him.. he's the jimi hendrix of our era

Comment

THANKS!
        I never even noticed the string were touching the back of the bridge
        '90 Gibson Les Paul Studio, '96 Jackson DR2, '98 MIM Fender Strat, '05 Ibanez RG7321, '07 Squier 51, '04 ESP LTD B-105

Comment

Some says it will give you more sustain. The only difference I felt, was that it made it easier to bend the strings.
          "Thou Shalt Not Spilleth Thy Beer"

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Classic's, Fender Stratocaster
          Amps: Soldano SLO 100, Mesa/Boogie Lonestar Special, Hughes & Kettner Tube 20

Comment

pac...yeah it will scratch the tailpiece over time but it's no big deal, tailpieces are cheap so pick up a replacement one and top wrap with that and save the stock one for if you want to go back to normal or sell the guitar.

-Mike
            www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

thanks bro. my LP on steroids is coming real soon. thats why i'm asking. heheheh.
              On Munky of Korn:

munky.. they got respect for him.. he's the jimi hendrix of our era

Comment

Thanks for the tip!

I'm gonna try this on my Epi... The tail piece can suffer a little bit, the guitar is of an ugly yellowish color anyway.

Wouldn't try with the gibson though... Moreover the silver finish of the epi is more resistant to frictions then the golden finish of the gibson.
                2017 PRS SE Custom 24
                2007 MIA Fender Telecaster (The Boss set)
                1996 Gibson Les Paul studio (Mississippi Queen n, The Mule b)
                1995 Epiphone Les Paul classic (Mississippi Queen set)

2012 Martin
                2002 Freshman FA 100SC
                Sae Han SD 51BK

Eganter Tweaker head > Celestion V10 / Neunaber Iconoclast

Comment

I use the wrap-around method on all my Gibson Guitars.

I just think it looks cooler, and gives a little bit better tone.
                  I'm not sure if I the only one that noticed this, but it might actually lower the action a little bit--I could be wrong on that, though.
                  This space is for rent.

Comment

I don't like the look.......plus I like my tailpieces shiny.
                    There's nothing quite as satisfying as a dancing banana...

Comment

If it helps with sustain is still debatable. I think it may on some guitars, and not on othere. What WILL increase sustain and tone is to go with a lightweight aluminum tailpiece AND the hardened steel stud inserts.

What top wrapping does do is DECREASE pressure on the bridge, which over time will collapse or begin to bend forward....many vintage guitars have this problem. Having the strings off the back of the bridge is probably the biggest benefit. I also find the action to be easier, which is always good. In short, I top wrap all of my TOM type bridges. I don't worry about the scratches on the tailpiece, because you always put strings back on...right? So the strings cover any groves or scratches. The only time you really notice them is when the strings are off. How often is that?
                      My Sound Clips

Comment

Locking studs, lightweight aluminum tailpiece... wraparound bridge style = TONE!!! The Gibson Les Paul Special just keeps on singing. I wish the LP Standard I had a few years ago did that.

Wraparound definitely has more sustain to my ears. Less moving parts equals better string transfer . The only downside is that the guitar will never be "perfectly" intonated (although my guitar tech did such a good job that I can't hear a single thing even slightly off)
                        Originally posted by kevlar3000
                        I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                        Originally posted by Zerberus
                        Better is often the enemy of good
                        Originally posted by ginormous
                        Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

If it's good enough for Billy Gibbons, it's good enough for Scott_F. Scott_F has all his Les Pauls top wrapped, all have Tone Pros bridges and Tone Pros locking studs. Scott_F likes locking studs. All Scott_F's LP's have lightweight aluminum tail pieces.

Scott_F heard all the hubbub about steel inserts into the guitar to accept the threaded studs. Scott_F held a magnet to his inserts after he took off the studs and found them to be magnetic and therefore were not the brass stuff that everyone on the LPF was bashing. This might be because scott_F's LP's are Historic reissues, but probably not. The LPF also has a big hubbub about the studs themeselves being steel. The rumor has it that the tonepros stuff is plated brass. Scott_F doesn't care. Scott_F knows tone is good and that is all that Scott_F cares about. That and Scott_F loves the easier bends, lack of broken strings due to the steep angle when not topwrapping.

Scott_F loves to topwrap.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_F
                            If it's good enough for Billy Gibbons, it's good enough for Scott_F. Scott_F has all his Les Pauls top wrapped, all have Tone Pros bridges and Tone Pros locking studs. Scott_F likes locking studs. All Scott_F's LP's have lightweight aluminum tail pieces.

Scott_F heard all the hubbub about steel inserts into the guitar to accept the threaded studs. Scott_F held a magnet to his inserts after he took off the studs and found them to be magnetic and therefore were not the brass stuff that everyone on the LPF was bashing. This might be because scott_F's LP's are Historic reissues, but probably not. The LPF also has a big hubbub about the studs themeselves being steel. The rumor has it that the tonepros stuff is plated brass. Scott_F doesn't care. Scott_F knows tone is good and that is all that Scott_F cares about. That and Scott_F loves the easier bends, lack of broken strings due to the steep angle when not topwrapping.

Scott_F loves to topwrap.

Originally posted by kevlar3000
                            I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                            Originally posted by Zerberus
                            Better is often the enemy of good
                            Originally posted by ginormous
                            Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Has Scott_F become Low Wang.....or Jimmy from Sienfeld.

Jimmy can jump, Jimmy likes Elaine.
                              My Sound Clips

Comment

Working...
                              X