No announcement yet.

Classic 80's Song Covered By My Band!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classic 80's Song Covered By My Band!!!

This is an unmastered mix of the song my band is submitting for an 80's tribute CD which will be released this summer. The label releasing the CD is the same one my band is signed to, Steelheart Records in Milan, Italy.

My band wanted to do something that was a bit off the beaten track, but I think you old shool guys will appreciate this! Unfortunately, I can't divluge the title of the track (due to contractual obligations), but it won't take very long for you to know what song it is. I can give you some clues as to the song, tho: It's a classic melodic metal song from the 80's LA Metal scene. I recorded all of the guitar tracks using the signature model of the guitarist from this band.

A brief note on how this was recorded: All of the tracks were recorded on my Yamaha AW16G. I used Sonar for editing the tracks, and then final mixing was done on the 16G again. I used an outboard mic pre for the snare drum and vocals only. Everything else was done direct. The bass guitar was recorded on 2 tracks using a Sans Amp on one track and a BBE Sonic Maximizer on the other. I used a Behringer compressor for the bass and vocal tracks. ALL of the guitar tracks were recorded using my ESP M1 Tiger and VG88. The second and fourth solos were played and recorded by my friend in England, Jay Parmar.

Hope you guys like it!!

The song is at http://twilightsongs2.tripod.com

NOTE: I compressed it as a Realplayer file, since I think they sound better than mp3. You can download Realplayer for free at www.real.com.
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Re: Classic 80's Song Covered By My Band!!!

Oh god i hate real player.
    First it took 10 minutes to download and install. Then it tried forcing some spyware searchbar on me. Then it wanted me to register - I didnt... So now i try playing .ram files and the program crashes giving me a windows error.

Just make a BLOODY MP3!!!
    my youtubes Instagram Medium blog
    A few original tunes: "The Grand Eclipse" and "Timeless Moments"

Comment

Saving it as an mp3 now ... will be uploaded in 5 minutes ...

Comment

The file is now up as an mp3. It's a moderately large file, just under 4 MB, so if you don't have a high speed connection, it'll take a long time to d/l.

Comment

I really like It. Seems fat and nicely balanced. Maybe the overall volume needs to be raised a tad louder (maybe 10% percent). I listened to it a couple of times LOUD. The rhythm guitar is nicely balanced with the bass and drums.

The Vocals are a tad punkish and sharp/thin IMO - I think should be sung more melodically. The vocals also have a distant feel - kinda like live.

I'd probably take the 4 guitar solos and pan them slightly left and right to imitate a guitar battle Maybe push em up front a little to cut more through the mix.

the phase shifting is a nice touch at 3:40.

Overall i think its a very professional and good quality tune. (It's always easy to judge - but you did a very good job )
          my youtubes Instagram Medium blog
          A few original tunes: "The Grand Eclipse" and "Timeless Moments"

Comment

If I'm being ultra critical (well it is one of my favourite songs by one of my favourite bands featuring one of my favourite guitarists!!!) I'd say it was a tad fast and the rythym guitar seems to be off the beat.
            As Frantic_Rock says, the vocals could come forward in the mix a bit as well.

I'd like to hear it when it's fully mastered, as it sounds a bit like an unmixed demo, but the playing is nice and I like the arrangement.
            GUITARS
            STRATS: Custom Strat - Lil 59/Classic Stack/Hot Stack, Jackson Fusion - C5/JB Jr/JB Jr, Kramer Pacer Custom - CC/SSL-1/SSL-1, Schecter V-1 Plus - C5/SSL-6/SSL-6, VH1 Strat - 59, Fender Partsocaster - C/PG hybrids

LESTERS: Edwards Sykes Custom - DD/DD, Edwards Custom V/white - JB/59, Burny Floyd Rose Les Paul
            AMPS
            Engl Screamer 50 combo + V112 Cab, Splawn Competition, Marshall 1982A & 1982B, Marshall 1960A.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback! Originally, I had the lead guitars panned a bit left and right for that exact reason: the guitar duels! However, I thought that they lacked focus panned off-center, and opted for them straight down the middle.

Yes, the song is a bit sharp. The original guitars were tuned to Eb, and I play in straight standard tuning.

Yes, the tempo is a bit faster. The original is 130 bpm, and my version is about 140 bpm.

Bear in mind it's a cover song, not an exact tribute. I personalized it a bit to fit my personal style.

I agree that the vocal line is mundane. Don is not known for his vocal prowess, and there's little you can do to it without changing it entirely. I added the 'Beyond the Realms of Death' vocal bits at the end, and the extended solos, to enliven the track a bit.

Comment

Working...
              X