Hey Jolly, how do you.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Jolly, how do you.....

I was listening to one your posted clips, the one with the LP loaded with a Custom. I recall at the beginning of the solo section you did something like "cascading harmonics" (for lack of a better word). I know I've heard those somewhere before, but it's probably been 20 years. Anyway, they sound great.

How do you do 'em? Or is it a trade secret?

-Matt
    Originally posted by Scott_F
    On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Re: Hey Jolly, how do you.....

Sorry man......it's a trade secret. lol...just kiddin'

Where you probably heard those from years ago was from Eddie Van Halen. That's who I stole/borrowed it from. I guess one of the best examples of him doin that is on "Somebody Get Me A Doctor" from Van Halen II.

Anyways, the best place to do it on is on the G string. Here's how I do it. I hammer off from the 4th fret to the 2nd fret then to the open G. You just keep doing this repeatedly and rather fast as well. As you're doing that you take the side of your picking hand (starting right over the bridge pickup) and bring it towards the nut as you're lightly touching the strings.......and there ya have it. Hopefully that made sense.

Comment

Yeah, EVH. I think I've heard Lynch do it also. Okay, that made perfect sense and sounds like it's a manageable deal. I suppose the trick is to get your 1st/middle/open pull-off routine sounding very mechanical like and well coordinated... oh yeah, and fast.

Thanks a ton!

-Matt
      Originally posted by Scott_F
      On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

You're welcome. It's not as hard as it sounds. Hey, if I can do it.....anybody can....lol

Comment

Hehe Jolly...now that is one trick that I have not done the last 14 years....
          Maybe one should brush off the dust inside the old head and dig out all the old funny tricks again
          Thanks a bunch for the refresher here Jolly

Comment

Working...
          X