Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marshall JCM800 vs JCM2000 Series

Originally posted by MikeS
    Lining can, however, insulate the sound created by the "woosh" of air comming from the voice coil on a speaker with a long throw.
    Like a 400w 15"?
    *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
    Originally posted by Slash2987
    Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
    Originally posted by PVFan
    I'm a good sex man.
    Originally posted by Grumpy
    I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

Exactly!

I was privy once to "hearing" a 15" sub-woofer "play" a 10 hz warble tone. I could see the cone moving, but all I was hearing was the woosh of the voice coil (the note was clearly not capable of being played on that woofer). FWIW, that particular speaker had nearly 1500 watts going to it.
      Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

Originally posted by tone?
        So many choices out there that do Marshall way better than themselves.
        And if anyone could ever tell me which ones I'd be happy

7ender 7anboy.

Comment

Good question, kommerz... I've often wondered who made a better JCM800, Plexi, 1987, etc, than Marshall
          Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

Exactly!

I was privy once to "hearing" a 15" sub-woofer "play" a 10 hz warble tone. I could see the cone moving, but all I was hearing was the woosh of the voice coil (the note was clearly not capable of being played on that woofer). FWIW, that particular speaker had nearly 1500 watts going to it.
            Eh? You do realize that 10Hz is out of the human range right? Or am I missing something?

Comment

the speaker moved but he couldnt hear it, obviously. All he could hear was the 'woosh' of the voice coil moving, and he could see the speaker moving.
              2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

So many choices out there that do Marshall way better than themselves.

Quote:
                Originally Posted by Kommerzbassist

And if anyone could ever tell me which ones I'd be happy

Well most boutique amp companies model their sound after..............suprise! yes Marshall and Fender. some do it better than others and of course sound is subjective. My argument is that anyone who has had a Marshall that is famous has modded it in some way.And if they havent modded it, then they are fortunate to be able to buy the original vintage one as in Eric Johnson.

Do you have any idea how much it costs to buy a vintage Marshall???? And of course they dont have channel switching, effect loops, etc..

You want to know companies that make better Marshalls than Marshall? Matchless ( yes they are real expensive but are nothing short of Amazing), Soldano ( the original hot rodded Marshall), VHT, THD Flexi, Bogner ( has an amazing plexi stage) , Roccaforte ( real great amps right out of the box) and tons others. Anyone else want to help out to name a few more??

When you are talking about the JCM800 or the DSL2000 you are almost into Boutique amp price range anyway. So why go for these when you can get something that i think is much better at about the same price??

i mean you can do whatever you want, its just my opinion.

i have heard great Marshall's out there but i wouldnt buy one for the above reasons. As a matter of fact i would get a Marshall if i was totally wealthy and did everything to the amp that my guitar heros did to make it sound the way they did.

Have you heard products from THD, VHT, Soldano, (and other companies) which put out products at a lower than 2000$ range? they sound awesome.

My friend got a Soldano Atomic 18 or ( or something like that ) from ebay for like 600$ and it sounds like the best Marshall. But if you look under the hood the thing is built like a tank. the only thing you will most likely need is just to change the tubes.

Have you looked at a TSL or DSL under the hood??????!!!!!!
                sorry but in my opinion they are silly if you know anything about electronics.

look at a JCM800 ( 2003) under the hood and then look at a DSL2000 and you will see the HUGE difference.

Marshall saw a Market for more low end players and went for that forgeting that they would lose credibility. Only lately have they returned to the higher end market. But i think that it is too late.
                Ibanez Roadstar II
                EBMM AXIS HoneyBurst
                VHT 50/12 Pitbull

Jack Nicholson: It's not true. Some have great stories, pretty stories that take place at lakes with boats and friends and noodle salad. Just no one in this car. But, a lot of people, that's their story. Good times, noodle salad. What makes it so hard is not that you had it bad, but that you're that pissed that so many others had it good.

Comment

oh by the way here is a URL from a thread that Xeromus started on "Why spend a fortune on a Plexi when stuff like this is available? "

there ya go.

now that isnt too much to spend on something good is it?
                  Ibanez Roadstar II
                  EBMM AXIS HoneyBurst
                  VHT 50/12 Pitbull

Jack Nicholson: It's not true. Some have great stories, pretty stories that take place at lakes with boats and friends and noodle salad. Just no one in this car. But, a lot of people, that's their story. Good times, noodle salad. What makes it so hard is not that you had it bad, but that you're that pissed that so many others had it good.

Comment

Originally posted by APB_4
                    Eh? You do realize that 10Hz is out of the human range right? Or am I missing something?
                    Originally posted by Quencho092
                    the speaker moved but he couldnt hear it, obviously. All he could hear was the 'woosh' of the voice coil moving, and he could see the speaker moving.
                    Precisely!

Tone? – I see exactly what you are saying. Fortunately for all of us, tone is a subjective thing. However, I still stand by saying that no one made a better JCM800 than Marshall. There have been countless copies, but they’ve all been different (perhaps modified). But in terms of “original” no one made it better, IMO. I agree that there are a lot of outstanding boutique amps out there that replicate great modded Marshall tones out of the box, but what it boils down to is still price. For the money, the DSL amps do a fine job of getting Marshall-esque tones at a fraction of the cost. Sure, $1100 is still pricey, but when you consider that these other boutiques weigh in closer to $2000, you have to consider what you are buying. What I commend Marshall for is building a great sounding all tube power amp and selling it at a price that doesn’t require you take out a loan, which is great for younger players. I don’t think anyone is ever going to say it’s a boutique amp, rather, a great all tube head that won’t leave your bank account in tears. If money were no factor in my amp decision I would not have bought a DSL50… but considering what I could afford, this was by far the clear cut #1 choice. Bottom line, no one is making a better head for the money (IMO). Sure, you could always buy used, but unless I can play it first, I won’t buy it, which is why I will more than likely never buy gear over the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by guitarsrock5
                      well then which one is cheaper?
                      JCM900 SL-X

It's an evolution halfway between JCM800 and DSL. If the DSL is a littlebit too much and you want more gain than a JCM800, it's made for you. I bought mine for $ 500 (mint conditions). After a little tune-up, check and new tubes, it is a monster of tone. In a good mean, I mean
                      Wackor
                      Ørdøg
                      NecroPolo
                      Diabolus in Musica
                      SIDrip Alliance
                      Book of Shadows
                      RKH

Comment

Ah I understand now Mike it was just the first time I read it I thought it seemed like you were expecting to hear something. Sorry about that. Anyway on with the thread about amps made by a drummer.

Comment

This thread still alive?

It's true..there are some great amps out there that will do the coveted Marshall thing better than a DSL/TSL.

Splawn...Voodoo....Rivera...hell the MESA Stiletto with some tweaking really sounds fantastic..jes like most MESA's it takes some fiddling to get it right.

Other than the reissues, I don't have much use for Marshall these days...makes me sad too.

Then again as I mentioned in that other thread, I think stuff like Bogner, Soldano's etc are not really worth the increased $ either unless you are a professional touring musician and need the reliability. I've played em both...very nice amps, and built incredibly well. But tone-wise, I don't think they are that much better than a Voodoo/Splawn/Rivera/Stiletto at half the price.....unless for example..ya want the signature Soldano sound...which really isn't all that Marshally to my ears...its got even more emphasis on mids, and is grainier sounding on top. Bottom end is voiced differently as well. Great sound...but not really Marshall like to my ears...kinda like how a McCarty is kinda supposed to be the "ultimate" Gibson sound...but doesn't really sound like a Gibson at all (though it's an incredible sound in it's own right).
                          I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Well... first of all, thanks for all your input.
                            Second: It seems strange to me everyone is talking about stuff that I either can't get over here (Bogner 'n' stuff) or I can never afford... I don't know how it is inthe U.S., but when I'm talking about buying a DSL50 @ 1090€ to maximum 1959 Plexi @ 1400€ I definately can't afford a Mesa Single rectifier 50 @ 1950€... I just don't have somuch money and I won't get it anytime soon.. it's just that I work during my summer-holidays and get about 1400 or something (I'll have to see how to afford the cab anyway if I buy the Plexi).After that school starts again and I usually don't really earn that much money for going to school

7ender 7anboy.

Comment

For orientation, here's alist of prices for amps I'm currently considering to buy:
                              Code:
                              Tops: 
                              Marshall DSL50              1090€
                              Marshall Plexi 1959         1400€
                              Crate Blue Voodoo 120       1220€
                              Combos:
                              Marshall DSL 401             888€
                              Fender Vintage 65' Twin     1292€
                              Peavey Classic 50            919€
                              Any comments on that or maybe new amp ideas within that price range are welcome...

7ender 7anboy.

Comment

Exactly!

Actually, I think the reason you couldnt hear the note is that the human hearing range is generally regarded as 20Hz-20KHz, and most people cant hear a sub-contra B at 15hz and many even have problems with the sub-contra e at 20..... THe note was just plain outside the range of human hearing, 10Hz would usually be referred to as a "subsonic rumble", like an earthquake
                                Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Working...
                                X