No announcement yet.

Treble Booster : what is it used for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Treble Booster : what is it used for?

They are quite good into other drives or most common used into big nonmastervolume heads already on overdrive, there they really shine.
    But there is a substantial difference in trebleboosters.
    Some pedal builders even incorporates a treblebooster in a pedal with normal drivestage as an extragain stage, I have one myself, it sounds rather good

Comment

Ritchie Blackmore used three of them after each other!

Comment

so that means no use for it unless i have a good old tube amp ?
        On Munky of Korn:

munky.. they got respect for him.. he's the jimi hendrix of our era

Comment

Originally posted by pac112

probably sounds great through an old Fender Deluxe Reverb
          Guitars: '12 LP Standard, Mid-90s 335, mid-90s LP Studio, mid-90s Am Standard Tele, '05 Larivee D-03 Acoustic
          Amps: Bogner Shiva 1x12 combo, Bogner Goldfinger 45, Bogner OS 2x12 Cabinet
          Pedals: Shur Riot, TS-9, Little Big Muff Pi, CE Audio Boost, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR Carbon Coby, EHX Small Clone, TC Electronics Vortex Flange, Fulltone Clyde Wah, vintage Ernie Ball volume pedal, Big Shot ABY, Boss OC-2 Octave
          Pedalboard: Furman pedalboard SPB-8C

Comment

This is a bit off topic but
            Here are the details on Toni Iommi's Rig (in 1971)
            He ran his guitars through
            A Tychobrahe ParaPedal Wah then
            A Dallas Arbiter Rangemaster (which incase soemone doesn't know is a treble booster)
            Into His 6 Laney 100-Watt heads

I am not sure when he stopped using the treble booster but i know that in 2001 he was still using a Tychobrahe ParaPedal Wah.
            Gondola Kid
            Bandcamp
            Facebook
            JimijaymesGuitarist
            Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by pac112
              Pretty much, unless your solid state rig sounds very warm and needs some upper mid/treble push. Which usually isn't the case with SS amps...
              Originally posted by Jolly
              ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

ive tried several in old tube amps and they sound terrible...i have no idea what people saw in them, i guess it depends on the player. noisy as can be, it boosted hiss, hum, and added some of its own.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer
                  ive tried several in old tube amps and they sound terrible...i have no idea what people saw in them, i guess it depends on the player. noisy as can be, it boosted hiss, hum, and added some of its own.
                  The wrong pedal for sure for an articulate player...
                  Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I do believe you need a ECC83 pre amp tube for a treble booster to work effectively.. a lower gain No1 pre amp tube ( eg 5751) wont work as well

Comment

Originally posted by Gold star View Post
                      I do believe you need a ECC83 pre amp tube for a treble booster to work effectively.. a lower gain No1 pre amp tube ( eg 5751) wont work as well
                      It has been fifteen years, so he has probably sorted it out by now...

Comment

It's still a good question. I occasionally play with a more modern take, (the BBE Bohemian), but it sounds good, through an SS amp, with a darker neck humbucker. Like a 59 or my Ric bass conversion neck pup.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post
                          Ritchie Blackmore used three of them after each other!
                          Did he? I have completely forgot this!

Comment

Page used one also. They work fine with SS amps you are not going to get ice pick highs if the amp is dialed in correctly. You can use it to gain stage your overdrive or distortion pedal.

Comment

Pete Thorn does a great job in this video explaining treble boosters and playing some classic riffs with and without a treble booster so you can see the difference one makes:

Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Regarding whether a treble booster can work with a Solid State amp, I tried it a few months ago, and it did not add anything beneficial like in the Pete Thorn video. Now, I was trying to specifically get the tone he had going on the Judas Priest "Victim of Changes" riff. I know some people mentioned above that they had success using a treble booster through a solid state amp, but I am not sure they were going for that kind of tone. In my case, I tried using a Cataline Naga Viper treble booster pedal in front of the distortion channel of my Acoustic G120H DSP head. I also tried it in front of a Biyang Metal-End pedal, directly into the power amp, and also into the clean channel of the amp.

And I wasn't suprised that it didn't work out well, either. I had gleaned from Pete's video that the treble booster was developed as a remedy for old tube amps.
                                Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 07-04-2020, 10:01 PM.
                                Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Working...
                                X