Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Treble Booster : what is it used for?

hey wise humans of tone,

what are treble boosters like the Rangemaster and the BSM RM used for? are they merely used to increase signal strength to overdrive the amp? or do they serve any other purpose?

thanks in advance
    On Munky of Korn:

munky.. they got respect for him.. he's the jimi hendrix of our era

Re: Treble Booster : what is it used for?

It adds gain and presence and was used by Brian May and lots of players,but May quickly comes to mind...
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
      It adds gain and presence and was used by Brian May and lots of players,but May quickly comes to mind...
      John, it doesnt add distortion rite? if i jack it up a before or after a OD / distortion pedal will it merely make it louder or also nastier ?
      On Munky of Korn:

Comment

I don't know...boosting treble?
        Generic signature line.

Comment

Originally posted by pac112
          John, it doesnt add distortion rite? if i jack it up a before or after a OD / distortion pedal will it merely make it louder or also nastier ?
          It doesn't actually add distortion,but it pushes the preamp harder..The Vox Top Boost circuit is based on this premise also,though I'm not 100% familiar with the circuit? It is an added tube gain stage on the Vox AC30 TB..
          Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
            It doesn't actually add distortion,but it pushes the preamp harder..The Vox Top Boost circuit is based on this premise also,though I'm not 100% familiar with the circuit? It is an added tube gain stage on the Vox AC30 TB..
            thanks for the info John. that means no use for the Treble Booster on a solid state amp i guess....
            On Munky of Korn:

Comment

Think the first Bluesbreakers album, the Dallas Rangemaster was the only effect Clapton used on there. Well, that and a 2x12 Marshall combo...
              *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
              Originally posted by Slash2987
              Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
              Originally posted by PVFan
              I'm a good sex man.
              Originally posted by Grumpy
              I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

yeah.. so that means rangemaster -> distorion pedal -> SS amp = good?
                On Munky of Korn:

Comment

naa, its meant to drive the preamp.. not really much good for SS unless you want a slightly edgy boost..

tom

Comment

Actually, treble boosters sound like crap with the SS amps ive tried them with, they are really ment for old tube amps. They were basically the first overdrive pedals in a sense even though hey didnt actually produce there own distortion. Old tube amp have a tendency to sound dark and so hitting it with a boosted treble/upper-mids signal very made them come more alive and gave them more distortion. Most modern amps have tons of upper-mids and treble aswell as gain, so treble boosters dont really sound to hot with them in my opinion. But if you have an old amp that has a good sound but you want to give it more gain and bite, they sound great! Its a similar principle to using a high-output pickup, a JB for example, the boosted upper-mids really help make the amp sing and distort more with an old tube amp.
                    Last edited by Maximusgordon 2.0; 06-28-2005, 04:08 PM.
                    EBMM H-S-H Silhouette

Gibson Les Paul Studio

Fender MIM Stratocaster

Bogner Goldfinger 45 1x12 Combo

Comment

I *think* Tony Iommi used one in the early, pre-high gain Sabbath days.
                      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

thanks guys... that helps my understanding.
                        On Munky of Korn:

Comment

Probably not, unless you want icepick treble. old treble boosters work well with warmer, older tube amps.
                          Originally posted by Jolly
                          ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

I *think* Tony Iommi used one in the early, pre-high gain Sabbath days.
                            Yeh As far as I know Tony Iommi used one in the early 70's and this couple with all those laney heads made awesome drive tones
                            Sorry to kinda change the subject a bit but i has to say something
                            Gondola Kid
                            Bandcamp
                            Facebook
                            JimijaymesGuitarist
                            Youtube

Comment

Yes Iommi did use a treble booster, one of the things i read somewheres was that he plugged into the bass input of his laney's and ran a treble booster into it? correct me if im wrong. This is only on the first album i believe.
                              Originally posted by Kyuss_Rock
                              Thats what I like to hear. Family massacre heavy.

Comment

Working...
                              X