banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

playing slower to play faster (part of the "tips")

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• playing slower to play faster (part of the "tips")

well, after about a 2 week period of playing nothing but clean slow blues, i decided to bust out my ltd and throw the gain channel into the on part. i came to an interesting conclusion, after playing slower, my faster playing is cleaner. let me explain, when i play faster now, the notes ring out better, and i slur notes less, which is nice. also, im actaully playing faster after playing slower. i know, you are thinking i think im just playing faster because what i was playing was slow, but its not. jamming with a friend, he even noticed the difference.

its weird. deffinately try it though. if for nothing else your playing will get cleaner, i garuntee that.
    esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
    fender mim standard strat
    peavey classic 30
    johnson j-station
    original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
    dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
    yamaha f-310p acoustic
    taylor 410 acoustic
    "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Re: playing slower to play faster (part of the "tips&quot

Yeah i know what you mean. Playing slower and cleaner makes you make sure you really hit the notes right on and not just glide over them for a split second, then when you go to play faster you carry some of that with you which results in what you're talking about.
    My Soundclick page.

Comment

Great practice tip, xerxes. I always play stuff really slow until the notes just fall off my fingers themselves. Then I can pickup the speed without thinking about it.

I alos go the opposite way. I'll play stuff as fast as I can, trying to stay clean. When you slow it down to the righttempo, it's dead easy to hit everything

Comment

Playing slowly helps the brain coordinate the movements of the two hands so that they are more in sync - great practice method.

Comment

Yeah the nerves gets the slow part in right and accurate......plus you build up tension by playing fast all the time.
          I actually play better when I have not touched the guitar for several days.

Comment

yeah, that's how I started out. Well, actually, it was more like playing slowly on clean, then getting up to speed, but still on the clean channel. But now that I have my Strat, I just fire up the clean channel and get some spanky, single-coil blues goin
            Watch My Videos
            Photography
            www.myspace.com/thebillyhong
            "Anything worth living for is worth suffering for."

Comment

Originally posted by Biu
              yeah, that's how I started out. Well, actually, it was more like playing slowly on clean, then getting up to speed, but still on the clean channel. But now that I have my Strat, I just fire up the clean channel and get some spanky, single-coil blues goin

you arent the only one! lol. still one of my favorite things to play is clean strat blues...
              peavey classic 30
              johnson j-station
              yamaha f-310p acoustic
              taylor 410 acoustic
              "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

thats the way its done

i use my acoustic for practising - its even better than an electric imo because its harder to play - just dont hurt yourself playing stupidly high gauge strings and you'll notice an improvement in your technique if you give it a bit of time
                My clips

Originally posted by Rid
                How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

I agree, whole-heartedly

Everytime you play your developing muscle memory.

If you always play fast, you'll develop sloppy technique, because that's what your training your muscles to do.

When you play slow, your forced to play with cleaner technique. Your muscles will remember how to play clean, even when you speed them up.
                  || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Originally posted by nuntius
                    thats the way its done

i use my acoustic for practising - its even better than an electric imo because its harder to play - just dont hurt yourself playing stupidly high gauge strings and you'll notice an improvement in your technique if you give it a bit of time

exactly why people should start on acoustics....i did, and it really helps....
                    peavey classic 30
                    johnson j-station
                    yamaha f-310p acoustic
                    taylor 410 acoustic

Comment

"Accuracy then speed" is an old typing maxim, and it certainly applies to guitar playing. You can't play some things too slow, or you lose another important factor: rhythm! Slow is good, but slow and in-time is better! Slow is subjective, too, I suppose; if you can site read, it's more a process of going over something again and again until you have it memorized.
                      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey
                        "Accuracy then speed" is an old typing maxim, and it certainly applies to guitar playing. You can't play some things too slow, or you lose another important factor: rhythm! Slow is good, but slow and in-time is better! Slow is subjective, too, I suppose; if you can site read, it's more a process of going over something again and again until you have it memorized.
                        I agree. But I'll also add;

rhythm = metranome

and it'll teach you to follow a drummer.

(I'm pretty sure I just spelt metranome wrong, but I'm having a stupid moment right now and can't seem to figure it out.)
                        || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Originally posted by screamingdaisy
                          I agree. But I'll also add;

rhythm = metranome

and it'll teach you to follow a drummer.
                          I agree; click track is our friend!!
                          Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                          My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by Rid
                            Yeah the nerves gets the slow part in right and accurate......plus you build up tension by playing fast all the time.
                            I actually play better when I have not touched the guitar for several days.
                            Yes i find that it seems that way to me to...
                            Marshall JVM 410C
                            Mesa Boogie DC-3
                            ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
                            1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
                            2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
                            2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
                            1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
                            2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
                            1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

Working...
                            X