This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Song Posting Tutorial

Check out the "How To" tutorial below which explains the way you can record your clips and get them onto the Internet for everyone to enjoy.
    Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
    Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Re: Song Posting Tutorial

most people on here use www.soundclick.com to host their mp3's...it's a pretty good site because you can listen to low speed/hi speed/and actually download the mp3 as long as the poster allows it...basically if you can get your song recorded on a cd you can probably get it on the net!

i'll speak from my own personal experiences...(i'm talking from memory here, the pc i'm on right now doesn't have the programs that my home pc does, so anyone feel free to correct me, take away, or add to this!)

1. after i get the music recorded on disc i go to a music program such as musicmatch jukebox and convert it to mp3 and download onto my pc...

2. to convert from wav (the format that songs are on cds) to mp3 can be done by first recording your song on your pc...on mm (musicmatch)

3. put the cd in your drive and open up mm if it's not your default player, click on browse and find the drive that the disc is in...click on it and open the file, it should start playing in mm...stop the song from playing by depressing the "stop" button (layed out like any music player), then highlight the song title which should be written in the little box beside your controls, then click record...it might take a few minutes depending on the length of song and speed of your computer.

4. once the song is recorded, it should appear in another box at the bottom of the page...go under "file" or "edit" (can't remember off the top of my head) and their should be a list which includes "convert"...click on that and it will bring up two seperate boxes which include location lists (ie. cdrive, adrive, computer, documents & settings, etc). at the bottom of the left box it has a place to click to tell the program what you are looking for (what type of file...ie. wav, mp3) and under the right hand box, what you are wanting to convert it to.....in this instance you are looking for wav and wanting to convert to mp3.

5. once it is found, highlight it and it should appear in the left hand box, then choose a destination in the right hand box...(if you plan on doing this frequently then maybe create a file to save them all in for easy access later) and click "convert file"...should take to long at all?!

6. after that is complete bring up the soundclick hompage. find the link where it says "new artist sign up" then click the link that says "sign me up (as musician or band). follow the pretty straightforward easy instruction for the registration. all this will take a little while, but it's not difficult.

CONT'D BELOW
    Originally posted by jeremy
    God hates bad guitar tone
    GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
    AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
    EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
    Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

I use SoundClick and it works pretty well for me... as for a primer - it's really pretty simple - it has a kind of a bouncing ball approach - just follow the instructions... and it's FREE!

Rick
      Rick
      (the original Rick James!)

Sing unto Him a new song; play skillfully with a LOUD noise. Psalm 33:3
      Lincoln Brewster Kutless Newsboys Third Day David Crowder U2

Comment

CONT'D

7. once this is complete, go to band administration and click the link for "add new songs" it will give you a statement to click agree to...then it will ask you if you want to go "robust" and upload from your pc or go "slurpy" and upload from another site.....obviously in this instance you want "robust"!

8.it will then ask for a song title and then ask you to place it in a genre...if you want people of like minds to hear your songs...get it in the right genre where it can thrive! it will ask you for some more info...like song description, story behind the song, whether you allow someone to download the song to their own pc and stuff like that!

9. then click proceed, then a page about allowing others to "use" your song comes up...do what you want here then click proceed.

10. then the upload page pops up...click browse and open the folder you saved the Mp3 in during the conversion, click the song and open it then click upload mp3...and voila...you're on the net...it may take some time for your first song to actually clear and be able to be heard...i can't remember, it's been awhile since i did it!

11. then you can go back to band administration...click on your band name...then click on the link called "music" next to "your url" and your music page should pop up...highlight the address at the top of your screen...right click...copy...then paste in your tips and clips thread...and voila...all your SD buds can hear your stuff!!!! like this....

ROCK ON!!!
        Originally posted by jeremy
        God hates bad guitar tone
        GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
        AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
        EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
        Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

1. PC

First of all you need a PC. Theoretically, any PC should work but the ones with a faster CPU, bigger RAM and faster disk will work better!

2. Soundcard

Practically, any reasonable soundcard (Soundblaster and above) should do. I have recorded for over a year with a crappy AC97 laptop soundcard with reasonable results. Of course, if you have the $$, you can spend over 1000$ for a good soundcard with a lot of "bits" which will record a lot of things you cannot hear anyway.

3. Modelling Amp

There are several ways to record your guitar: through a microphone, through a D.I. box or through a modelling amp. There are some pretty good modelling amps out there (POD, Vamp, J-Station, DGStomp....) and they produce some decent results for recording. As opposed to a microphone, Modelling amps generate a relatively high voltage signal and should be connected to the "Line-in" input of your soundcard. Make sure that you know how to enable the various inputs of your soundcard (consult the manual).

4. Microphone

Now this is the way the real tone guru's record those subtle nuances full of harmonic complexity which most of the normal people don't hear! There is an industry standard microphone called Shure SM57. It is a directional mike and has a slightly pronounced midrange which helps to cut through the mix. Most guitars over the years have been recorded with a SM57. It should cost around 100$ or 100 Euros in the old continent. Microphone are not powered i.e. they do not produce an amplified (strong) output signal so they require a microphone pre-amp. These can vary in price and quality. Some soundcards (like my Tascam) have an integrated microphone pre-amp. Another way of amplifying the mike signal is to use an ordinary mixer (which can sometimes be cheaper than a pre-amp). Just plug the mike into one of the channels and then connect the mixer output to the Line-In of your soundcard.

5. Recording Software

This is the PC-bases recording studio. These software packages are Adobe Audition, Cakewal SONAR or Home Studio, Acid, Ntrack,and similar....Typically, the Sw will have "tracks" where you can record and playback one or more instruments. The idea is that you record all the instruments separately and "mix" them down into a "band" recording. More often, you will just record your guitar over a "backing track" (drums, bass and keyb only). All you have to do is load the backing into say "track 1" and then you play it back whilst recording your guitar in say "track 2". You can then mix the 2 tracks together and that it! Or is it? Check out the next topic

6. Mixing/Recording

Typically, it take 5 minutes to record a tune and 55 to mix it down! Seriously, the way you "post-produce" your recording can really influence the final quality. Some advise: always record the guitar with no effects and try to add these through the mix. Why? Because it's impossible to reduce (for example) a reverb or delay effect once it has been recorded. Be aware that often what you hear whilst you are recording and what you record can sound different and hence you will have to adjust your recording. Adding some mids always helps the guitar cut through the mix. After having mixed down the tracks, adding some compression and reverb always makes the recording sound a bit more professional. Most SW recording programs have the basic effects: reverb, delay, EQ, compression.

7. MP3 Compression

When you mix down a recording, typically you will generate a .wav type file which is just too big to be posted on the web (>10MB/minute) hence some compression is required. Most recording sw's offer the possibility to compress to a .mp3 file. You can set the "bitrate" of the final recording and 128kbit is a typical "web" standard (file size of about 1MB/minute)

(cont.)
          °
          my stuff

Comment

(cont..)

8. Web hosting

Ok, now you have the file with your recording, but where do you post it? Well, some people have their own web sites and understand html and ftp and that stuff so they don't have any problems there. Other can use free music hosting site like Soundclick (www.soundclick.com) or http://www.ic-musicmedia.com/ . Just register and upload your file and then post the link of your page over here.

Enjoy!
            °
            my stuff

Comment

Cool. I can do some hosting. I am putting together a few pages that are dedicated to Duncan related subjects.. mainly clips and pics: site under construction
              My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

http://www.purevolume.com is better than soundclick i think, cause you dont have to be a member to download the songs
                Originally posted by Aceman
                It was the age of suave. Men were men, and women were smacked and thrown on the bed and loved it.

Comment

Thanks guys. This totally helps...

Tv.
                  Official Web Page MySpace My Music On Soundclick

Comment

Wierd.. soundclick has taken like a week to process and it still hasnt given me my access code and ive tried plenty of times.
                    Originally posted by BigAlTheBird
                    I just got oiixed in the mung by a Canadian.

Timmy - 1
                    Andrew - None

Comment

Originally posted by TimmyPage View Post
                      Wierd.. soundclick has taken like a week to process and it still hasnt given me my access code and ive tried plenty of times.
                      Hey Timmy, I'd try to do it all over again from scratch with new everything. I think that's what I had to do.

-LR

Comment

I have most of my playing on home made CD recordings. Can I use SoundClick to transfer my CD recordings to the Internet? Thanks for any info.

Comment

Originally posted by Stratcat View Post
                          I have most of my playing on home made CD recordings. Can I use SoundClick to transfer my CD recordings to the Internet? Thanks for any info.
                          No You can't.The only thing you can do is ripping it to mp3's and don't let people download it.I think you can even sell the songs but i never did!
                          www.myspace.com/daemonbarbeque

Comment

Just use CDEX to turn the CD tracks into MP3s, then upload them to Soundclick.
                            The police shall receive NO sandwiches!

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss View Post
                              CONT'D

7. once this is complete, go to band administration and click the link for "add new songs" it will give you a statement to click agree to...then it will ask you if you want to go "robust" and upload from your pc or go "slurpy" and upload from another site.....obviously in this instance you want "robust"!

8.it will then ask for a song title and then ask you to place it in a genre...if you want people of like minds to hear your songs...get it in the right genre where it can thrive! it will ask you for some more info...like song description, story behind the song, whether you allow someone to download the song to their own pc and stuff like that!

9. then click proceed, then a page about allowing others to "use" your song comes up...do what you want here then click proceed.

10. then the upload page pops up...click browse and open the folder you saved the Mp3 in during the conversion, click the song and open it then click upload mp3...and voila...you're on the net...it may take some time for your first song to actually clear and be able to be heard...i can't remember, it's been awhile since i did it!

11. then you can go back to band administration...click on your band name...then click on the link called "music" next to "your url" and your music page should pop up...highlight the address at the top of your screen...right click...copy...then paste in your tips and clips thread...and voila...all your SD buds can hear your stuff!!!! like this....

ROCK ON!!!

nice tnx

Comment

Working...
                              X