This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: General Tone Tips

Don't forget to pee before you start the next set...
    "Play like a Champion"
    PRS DGT, Fender Tele and Strat
    Marshall JTM45 w/ Creambacks
    Fav SD Pups C5, Jazz, PG's, 59's

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyblu View Post
      don't forget to pee before you start the next set...
      ++1!!
      Hamer XT Sunburst Archtop Flame- Phat Cats; Hamer Sunburst Archtop Quilted- Jazz(n)/Pearly Gates(b); Brian Moore i21 - Alnico 2 Pro(n)/Pearly Gates(b); Tex Mex Strat - Classic Stack(n)/Lil' 59(b); Carvin DC135T - used oval HotRails(n)/CustomCustom(b); '68 Gibson ES-335 - Jazz(b); RI Fender Bass VI (bari-electric Hot Rails bridge?); Standard Tele-Ash(SE)pickups?

Comment

if you like the sound you get from a cheap guitar, amp or pedal......it's ok to use them....however....the more of them you stack up......the more OOGE is going to end up in your sound.

whatever you DO skimp on........don't skimp on the cord.....spend the money.
        "RESISTORS ARE FUTILE.........YOU WILL BE RECTIFIED!"

Comment

Originally posted by Beer$ View Post
          Throw your Metalzone in the trash

Throw your metalzone in the trash.
          but i just got my metalzone!!!!

play with your tone and volume knobs as much as possible, your gear is alot more versatile than you might think if you don't.

also, try varying your pick attack and where you strum/pick to try and get different tones. that's helped out my playing more than anything else.
          Yo, i'm Ryan™.

https://www.facebook.com/patchworklv
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=der6aGGzQTk
          ^link to 7 tracks of my band, Patchwork

Comment

Originally posted by LesPaulCustom1979 View Post
            2. If you want to play "Blues" like Clapton, then you have to use a Strat with single coil pickups loaded flipped around like "Blacky". This is why Hendrix got his blues sound. He played left handed with a Strat strung upside down. They didn't make left handed Stats back then. Hendrix used alot of different Strats and they all basically sounded the same when he played them. Hendrix could have played a $50 guitar and made it sound good.
            You could play some blues like clapton with a strat, but you definately don't need it. His best work was in his years using His SG, 335, and even and occasional Les Paul.

Comment

Try tuning the low E quite a bit flat . This is because when you pick it hard - it will go sharper. (experiment. depends how hard u play)
              Tune the A a little bit less flat, but still flat.
              Tune the D EVER SO SLIGHTLY flat.

Tune the G - right on the money.
              Tune the B - EVER SO SLIGHTLY sharp.
              Tune the high E - a bit more sharp than the B

This is similar to the concept of "temperment" and will help your guitar stay in tune better with other instruments. Got this concept from EJ video. It works good. I always tune like this now. Never right on the money for all strings.

Its a pain to explain it to other guitar players you play with, who have no idea what you are talking about.
              Last edited by Frantic_Rock; 02-05-2009, 02:47 PM.
              my youtubes Instagram Medium blog
              A few original tunes: "The Grand Eclipse" and "Timeless Moments"

Comment

Originally posted by ES350 View Post
                "The left hand makes the virtuoso, but the right hand makes the artist"---Paganini.
                That's a brilliant quote.

I'd argue that experimenting with picking dynamics and plectrums etc on a clean channel or, even better, an acoustic guitar will help you appreciate tone a lot. Tone is so affected by the attack of a player, hit your strings hard, then hit them soft - the tone changes quite a bit, and you don't even have to fiddle with your controls.
                My clips

Originally posted by Rid
                How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

Originally posted by nuntius View Post
                  That's a brilliant quote.

I'd argue that experimenting with picking dynamics and plectrums etc on a clean channel or, even better, an acoustic guitar will help you appreciate tone a lot. Tone is so affected by the attack of a player, hit your strings hard, then hit them soft - the tone changes quite a bit, and you don't even have to fiddle with your controls.
                  Hey Nun, great to see ya!

I agree with the quote, I'm very busy nowadays to get more control over the right hand and the coordination aswell, that's one long road for me.
                  Originally posted by Guitarist
                  Honestly, I like Scott's words. "There is a rhythm to life. Ride the waves."

And keep in mind that while nothing lasts forever, nothing is lost.
                  http://soundcloud.com/adrian-czarnecki/tracks

Comment

Originally posted by Frantic_Rock View Post
                    Try tuning the low E quite a bit flat . This is because when you pick it hard - it will go sharper. (experiment. depends how hard u play)
                    Tune the A a little bit less flat, but still flat.
                    Tune the D EVER SO SLIGHTLY flat.

Tune the G - right on the money.
                    Tune the B - EVER SO SLIGHTLY sharp.
                    Tune the high E - a bit more sharp than the B

This is similar to the concept of "temperment" and will help your guitar stay in tune better with other instruments. Got this concept from EJ video. It works good. I always tune like this now. Never right on the money for all strings.

Its a pain to explain it to other guitar players you play with, who have no idea what you are talking about.
                    i've read about this before. i've tried to do this before(but at the time i had no tuner, and currently i've got none again) without success, but i can see it working in the right context. what would you say about a compensated nut however?
                    Yo, i'm Ryan™.

Comment

Re the Paganini quote; I heard that from my grand uncle, who gave me my first lessons. I think it's really true though and the players that I always return to are the people with that sort of articulation and tone that comes from how you play a note; they always sound like themselves, unique individuals. Of course, vibrato and release, etc. are in the left, but the color is in the right...

Comment

Originally posted by super rad ska View Post
                        i've read about this before. i've tried to do this before(but at the time i had no tuner, and currently i've got none again) without success, but i can see it working in the right context. what would you say about a compensated nut however?

You do realise there's a tuner built into the Toneport? Top right hand corner - the tuning fork icon.

http://www.myspace.com/marchofalaric

Comment

i know but yea
                          Yo, i'm Ryan™.

Comment

Make sure whenever you are mic'ing anything at a home studio that there are no little kids(read "hyper crazy people") running amok anywhere near where you're recording, trust me.

Comment

listen

2000 Gibson Les Paul Special / 2001 Epiphone Dot (SD '59 Neck and SD '59/Custom 5 Hybrid Bridge) / 70s Vantage Double Cutaway - SD P-Rails / Home-made Mahogany Project Guitar with P90s / National Lap Steel - SD Screamin Demon / 1972 Fender Princeton (Weber Blue Pup speaker) / 1979 Fender Champ / 1960s Silvertone 1483 (Weber 10F150 & 10F150T speakers) / Silvertone 1481

facebook.com/stationaudio

Comment

Try different tunings. Open ones, classic ones, mirrored 5th/4ths etc. This will give you a better control and over your instrument.
                                Different tunings give different inspiration and playing possibilities too. Some guy/guys in the past tuned the guitar to E, and this shouldn't be a limiting factor.
                                www.myspace.com/daemonbarbeque

Comment

Working...
                                X