Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is a PAF pickup?

Default What is a PAF pickup?

Can someone please explain the difference between PAF's, humbuckers, single coils and P-90's.

TV.

Default Re: What is a PAF pickup?

A true PAF is gibson's original humbucking pickup from the late 50's. PAF stands for "Patent Applied For" which is what the sticker said on the bottom of the pickup. I know one of the first guitars they came in were the Burst Les Paul Standards from '58, although something tells me they were introduced in '57. In the Custom?

Most full size Humbuckers now are the shape and size of the original Gibson PAFs. Single coils only have one coil (duh) as opposed to two, and they come in sizes from a strat/tele up to the P90 that was in GIbson solid bodies prior to the PAF. Think the Les Paul "Goldtop" or Les Paul Junior.

A humbucker consists in 2 coils using a common magnet. The coils are wired so that their phase cancel out the hum that you normally get with single coil. They also have more output and a smoother, warmer tone than single coils.
    PAF stands for Patent Applied For. It was what Gibson stamped on the back of the first ever humbuckers, invented by Mr Seth Lover. The pickups you find on Les Pauls usually are PAFs. SDs PAFs are the Pearly Gates, the Seth Lover and the '59. I guess the Screaming Deamon could be seen as an overwould PAF but I'm not too sure if the sound follows. PAFs have a very warm tone and go hand to hand with LPs.
    The P90 is the bastard son of a humbucker and a single coil. It has a huge sound, but still with hum. Just a huge single coil.
    I hope that helped a bit?

Would the APH's qualify as PAF's?

What about the JB?

Tv.

I beleive the APH would be. But I don't think the JB is.

If you go here: http://www.seymourduncan.com/website...mbuckers.shtml

I beleive all under "vintage" are "PAF's" and thats it.
    TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

I assume PAF's breathe better under high gain (for classic rock, funk, and R&B) as opposed to non-PAF's

Tv.

Fleecy Sweaterologist The Golden Boy's Avatar

If you really wish to get into it...

DiMarzio has a trademark or whatever on the use of the term "PAF" so the correct way to refer to an early Gibson humbucker is a "Patent Applied For" humbucker.
    *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash2987
    Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by PVFan
    I'm a good sex man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    I am just jug the merlot.

Quote Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
    If you really wish to get into it...

DiMarzio has a trademark or whatever on the use of the term "PAF" so the correct way to refer to an early Gibson humbucker is a "Patent Applied For" humbucker.
    Quite ironic isn't it

IMHO PAF's are the best all arond HB PUP that I have had the experience playing. I work closely with a Luthier here in NY who specializes in restoring vintage guitars and I have played many PAF equipped guitars. I have also had the oppurtunity to compare them against just about everything else out there. What makes them unique is good and bad. Back in the 50's most PUPS were wound by hand, some would have more windings than others and this caused them to be inconsistant. This is not always bad, but I have heard some PAAF's that were not very good. Some PAF's were amazing..... probably the best sounding bridge PUP I have ever played or heard is a PAF in a 1960 335 Stereo that is owned by a friend of mine. PAF's will run $1500.00 to over $2000. depending on the configuration. The PUPS that I feel sound the closest to the real PAFS are the Duncan Alnico2 Pros. Some may say the Antiquities, some may say the Seths, and I have even heard people who feel that Holmes are very close, but IMO the Alnico2 nails the PAF pretty well. I have also played PAF's in a variety of guitars and Amps. Super 400, 335, 61 SG LP, and a few other archtops. I have played them thru Blackface Fenders and 60's Marshalls as well as other Amps. They sound very good in all situations.
    "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

I've never tried a Dimarzio so I won't even comment...

Tv.

Quote Originally Posted by The Vault View Post
    Can someone please explain the difference between PAF's, humbuckers, single coils and P-90's.

TV.
    PAF = patent applied for - a nickname given to seth lovers design while Gibson was waiting 4 years for the patent to be granted. Humbucker is 2 single coils together with the electrical signal running in oppisite directions to do just what the name implies - Cancel or buck the Hum P-90 is and over wound gibson single coil pickup.

The specific original PAF was Seth Lover's humbucker design. 2 single coils cancel out each others hum and one with 6 adjustable pole pieces the other not and both were enclosed in a 2 and 3/4 by 1 and1/2 inch metal housing. It took over 4 years for the patent to be approved and by then the pickup design was dubbed with the nickname PAF as a sticker was placed under the pickup which read "Patent appled For" while they waited for the patent to be approved. This pick which appears on most Les Pauls is Specifically the original PAF.

Been 8 years. Dude prolly has figured it out by now.
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Ya know what PAF is spelled backwards, don't ya?
    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
    The P90 is the bastard son of a humbucker and a single coil. It has a huge sound, but still with hum. Just a huge single coil.
    Soundwise, not chronologically. P-90's came out years before PAF's. And actually, P-90's were out several years before Leo put them in his solidbodies in 1950, so P-90's are first of the three you mentioned. Leo shrunk them down to save money, and Gibson added a coil to reduce noise, and increased the cost.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Mojo's Minions

Blah blah blah

Cutting to the chase... A PAF IS AN 8k TWO-WIRE (hot & ground) PICKUP WITH ALNICO MAG AND DUAL COILS WIRED FOR HUM CANCELLING.

A "real/original" PAF comes from late 50's Gibsons only, because that is where the original humbucker was from. Popular or famously close in tone pickups may be known as "Someone's PAFs" (insert brand or winder name). Also. DiMarzio holds a trademark to officially call their own replica the "DiMarzio PAF", while the others are either from prior eras, actually carry similar Patent Applied For stickers (cant trademark that, lol), or are simply popularly known as PAFs on account of being made to that spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Adieu View Post

Cutting to the chase... A PAF IS AN 8k TWO-WIRE (hot & ground) PICKUP WITH ALNICO MAG AND DUAL COILS WIRED FOR HUM CANCELLING. .
    Not quite. The resistance on PAF's was pretty wide over the original years, and the range included much higher and lower than 8K.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

correct me if I'm wrong but weren't the original patent for
    a tailpiece or something like that?

DiMarzio's trademark is for "PAF" without periods. If one refers to the pickup as "P.A.F." that is not infringing on DiMarzio's trademark.
    Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
    Sales and marketing reps for D'Addario, Musopia, Reunion Blues, Q-Parts, and Nukleus Pickups.

Quote Originally Posted by blueman335 View Post
    Not quite. The resistance on PAF's was pretty wide over the original years, and the range included much higher and lower than 8K.
    Didn't diff mags float in & out,too?
    "Scalloped & Stickered"
    A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself