What is a PAF pickup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is a PAF pickup?

So, if I wind my own pickups, is it a PAF (If I apply for a Patent) until i give it a name or is it a PAF no matter what..?

The pickup I wound was a hex coil with an A9 magnet - does PAF apply to the tone or the name in all cases..?
    Anything is possible, just not always advisable...

Comment

Originally posted by DeathMetalRob View Post
      So, if I wind my own pickups, is it a PAF (If I apply for a Patent) until i give it a name or is it a PAF no matter what..?

The pickup I wound was a hex coil with an A9 magnet - does PAF apply to the tone or the name in all cases..?
      Zexcoil replacement pickups give you both fantastic tone and hum-canceling with no compromises.

FYI.

HTH,

Comment

And according to records Gibson bought far more A4 mags at that the time than they did A2. A3, or A5...

Bottom line, PAFs have as much variety and uniqueness as the wood in the guitars they were paired up with. Good luck trying to nail down "the PAF tone".
        I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

I'd like to add that single coils, while noisy, have a percussive characteristic that can often be described as jangly, chimney, and bell like. They also have a certain clarity that most humbuckers don't have, even with higher gain.

Guitar->pedals->amp
          Gear:
          Fender '03 CIJ Antigua Strat
          Epi Dot Natural
          Partscaster blackie
          Breedlove Passport Mahogany
          VOX V845 -> MXR Blue Box -> Boss CS-3 -> MXR Phase 90 -> Paul C. Tim OD -> Fulltone Plimsoul -> Boss CE-3 -> EHX Memory Toy -> SD Deja Vu Delay >
          Marshall Artist 30 4202 or Bugera V5

I WORK FOR GC, IF YOU NEED A DEAL PM ME!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB View Post
            Good luck trying to nail down "the PAF tone".
            That's why SD has the '59, Seth Lover, Pearly Gates, Antiquity, Bonamassa, Whole Lotta Humbucker, Benedetto P.A.F., and probably a few others I'm missing.
            Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
            Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Originally posted by thespricket View Post
              I'd like to add that single coils, while noisy, have a percussive characteristic that can often be described as jangly, chimney, and bell like. They also have a certain clarity that most humbuckers don't have, even with higher gain.

Guitar->pedals->amp
              ^Totally agree with this. Single coils def have a brighter, jangly tone to them. While humbuckers have a darker more even tone. Makes a Strat & a Les Paul sound very different, even taking into acct the scale length difference of the two guitars.

Personally I like them both and have guitars that have both types. I've never tried p90's though, and am very curious how they sound.

Comment

P90s are hairy buggers. They're high powered, but less than a humbucker. They're articulate like a single coil but way more crazy angriness to them.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
                Originally posted by Funkfingers
                Music is for life. Without parole.

Comment

Originally posted by thespricket View Post
                  I'd like to add that single coils, while noisy, have a percussive characteristic that can often be described as jangly, chimney, and bell like.

They also have a certain clarity that most humbuckers don't have, even with higher gain.

True . . . but these are doing a bloody good job of staying VERY clear, even with uber-high gain settings.

We've been making the only real noiseless pickups in for guitar, bass and more for over 40 years. No batteries required!
                  Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

Originally posted by stringbender11 View Post
                    ^Totally agree with this. Single coils def have a brighter, jangly tone to them... I've never tried p90's though, and am very curious how they sound.
                    P-90's are single coils, and were in guitars several years before Leo came out with his budget versions.
                    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

I love P90s. They are really noisey though. More noise than a Fender style single coil (which I also love the tone of). The humbucker sized P90s (still true single coils) encased in metal are a big improvement in this regard. I don't know of any noiseless P90s that really capture the magic of the traditional P90.

Comment

Originally posted by Lake Placid Blues View Post
                        I love P90s. They are really noisey though. The humbucker sized P90s (still true single coils) encased in metal are a big improvement in this regard.
                        If your dog ear or soap bar P-90's are noisy, you can put some aluminum foil inside the plastic covers, punching out holes for the pole pieces. You keep the same look, but add shielding.
                        Last edited by blueman335; 11-29-2013, 10:22 PM.
                        "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
                          If your dog ear or soap bar P-90's are noisy, you can put some aluminum foil inside the plastic overs, punching out holes for the pole pieces. You keep the same look, but add shielding.
                          How much is the noise reduced?

Comment

Originally posted by Evan Skopp View Post
                            That's why SD has the '59, Seth Lover, Pearly Gates, Antiquity, Bonamassa, Whole Lotta Humbucker, Benedetto P.A.F., and probably a few others I'm missing.
                            Exactly. P.A.F. specs were all over the place, within certain basic limits. They could have had A2, A3, A4, or A5 magnets (though mostly A4), and any wind from kind of lean to kind of hot.

More importantly, the main factors in the "P.A.F. sound" were not the minute details of the gadgetry used. They were the people who used those pickups, and those who recorded them (i.e. the production values).
                            Originally posted by LesStrat
                            Yogi Berra was correct.
                            Originally posted by JOLLY
                            I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by rumy22 View Post
                              How much is the noise reduced?
                              As much as a HB-sized P-90 with a metal cover. Makes a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by stringbender11 View Post
                                ^Totally agree with this. Single coils def have a brighter, jangly tone to them. While humbuckers have a darker more even tone. Makes a Strat & a Les Paul sound very different, even taking into acct the scale length difference of the two guitars.

Personally I like them both and have guitars that have both types. I've never tried p90's though, and am very curious how they sound.
                                BLASPHEMY !!!

Do you know . . . in some countries you can go to jail for LIFE, if they discover that you have NOT played on a P90 equipped guitar !!!! FACT !
                                Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

Working...
                                X