Fender Prosonic Rectifier Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fender Prosonic Rectifier Question

I couldn't find a schematic - fender.com only has the owner's manual. Go download one, if you don't already have it.

I'd be interested to see if the amp really switches between class A and class A/B, or if it's fixed bias/cathode bias. HTe marketing type get those confused all the time. See "Is the Vox AC-30 really class A? " on the Advanced Tech page at Aiken Amplifcation

Antway, of the three modes on that switch, which one presently work and which don't? That'll help narrow it down, but you're gonna need a tech, or a friend who knows his tube amps.
    Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
    Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

Thanks for all the posts so far, been really helpful. I've just left it now, I don't really want to do any more damage than I already have. My Dad knows a good tech and I'm going to take it to him, have him look over it and then do whatever he recommends.

Does this mean that I shouldn't worry too much about the possibility of the transformer having blown? I've heard they're really expensive and I'll be gutted after just spending £679.00 on it. If I did attempt to get hold of the components and do the fix up myself how difficult is a 'heat sink' (thanks Rich S!) to get hold of? I guess the cap won't be difficult to find and I can order valves pretty easily as well.

To everyone who's familiar with the amp, how much potential damage have I done by changing the rectifier knob while the amp is on? Could this lead to blowing the transformer or atleast damaging it beyond repair? The amp still powers up and works fine for a while until the fuse blows. Does this show that the transformer, atleast, still works fine?

Thanks for all your help so far,
      Benja
      Guitars:
      Epi LP (SH-11b + SH-55n)
      Danelectro U2 '56 Reissue
      Yamaha APX5LA
      Pedals:
      MXR Super Comp, HBE Power Screamer, Toadworks Death Rattle, Carl Martin Crunch Drive, Boss CE-2, Marshall Ed The Compressor, Marshall Drivemaster, Arion EQ, Bespeco Volume Pedal
      Amps:
      Fender Prosonic combo
      Marshall JTM60 combo

Comment

I think that if the tranny was blown, the amp wouldn't even have a hint of idle noise......100% dead. You're doing the right thing. Just leave it alone till a qualified amp tech looks at it.
        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Cheers Gearjoneser,

It pains me to admit, but I think this one is way over my head. I'll have to leave it and let someone who actually knows what they're doing to sort it out. As a matter of princible, I'd like to fix all my gear when something goes wrong, I figure that's how I'll learn about it but I suppose by doing so (in this case atleast) I risk doing damage that I can't afford to get fixed.

I'll let you know what the tech says.

-Benja
          Guitars:
          Epi LP (SH-11b + SH-55n)
          Danelectro U2 '56 Reissue
          Yamaha APX5LA
          Pedals:
          MXR Super Comp, HBE Power Screamer, Toadworks Death Rattle, Carl Martin Crunch Drive, Boss CE-2, Marshall Ed The Compressor, Marshall Drivemaster, Arion EQ, Bespeco Volume Pedal
          Amps:
          Fender Prosonic combo
          Marshall JTM60 combo

Comment

Benja, Sorry to not post for 2 weeks here. I avoid switching the class on the back of the amp when it is on. I had done it a few times when I first got it but now i see it could maybe cause a problem.

If I want to switch classes now I turn the amp off. Good luck with the repairs on yours.
            2001 MIA Strat Sunburst w/maple neck. Hot Rails (b), Vintage Rails (m), Cool Rails (n). 2003 MIA Deluxe Fat Strat Sunburst w/maple neck.

Comment

Working...
            X