Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which speakers...

...for a twin reverb?

I am getting my favorite EV's reconed to put in my Twin. right now I have a set out of a reissue BF Twin inthere (they've been there for a while and I just don't like them) but before my E V's get done I am thinking about trying something new...any ideas???
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Re: which speakers...

Purple label Jensens? Old Eminence or Utah? I'm not a big fan of the "British" speaker with the Fender.
    *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
    Originally posted by Slash2987
    Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
    Originally posted by PVFan
    I'm a good sex man.
    Originally posted by Grumpy
    I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

never really liked the utah, but some jbl 120d's might be sweet

Comment

i say you ask this guy if you can borrow a few of these and bust out the dremel (or sawzall) and make 'em fit hehehe

32" of fun!!

-Mike
        www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

you might consider asking Dave @ Avatar about some of the newer Eminence models.
          "music heals"
          facebook

Comment

anymore ideas?
            If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

i stick to the old favs , celestions
              Gibson Songwriter Deluxe
              Gibson 1959 reissue
              Gibson 1960 reissue
              Gibson EDS-1275

Freedom through the blood of Christ

Comment

Depends on what you are playing, somewhere in my list of GAS is to upgrade my Acoustic G60-212 with a pair of Celestion G12K's. 60W of pure transistor suits what I want to do with the piezo equipped acoustic guitar and to mic up my resonator.

The electrics are yet to get a new friend to play with; THD Flexi 50W, www.sherlockamps.com 50W or a www.reynolds-valveart.com.au 50W Dollshouse just need the cash!

Check out www.celestion.com for more info. The G12K's got recommend by the Australian importer, will go to 5.5kHz to suit more treble ie. country, natural acoustic tone of non-electric guitars.

P.S. Anyone know what happened to "Acoustic", in 1985/86 they got taken over by the Wagner Corporation, but that's as far as I know? I need a wiring diagram so I can put in an EQ and chorus.

Comment

Check out Weber man, they make them by hand and will let you know which is best suited for a twin (they replicate their speakers to vintage specs). I got a 12F150 as a replacement for my old Traynor studio mate (Deluxe circuit) and it turned out really well. Price is also better than Celestion and I'm not sure that Celestion has good matches for Fender amps, as they more on the British tone side of things. That being said, my other 1x12 cab has a Celestion Vintage 30 in it and it sounds great with my other Traynor head (JTM-45 circuit) but also with the studio mate. The V30 is a great speaker with a lot of guts and the 12F150 is bright and punchy, which might be better fior twin tones.

Comment

I'm with Mike on this on
                    Constantly wanting new gear...

Comment

Originally posted by Curly
                      you might consider asking Dave @ Avatar about some of the newer Eminence models.
                      +1 He is extremely helpful, and has the best prices anywhere on Eminence & Celestion.
                      "shut up and play yer guitar" FRANK ZAPPA

Comment

i'd try a set of Weber Thames speakers. They're voiced after the old hiwatt fane speakers, so you could get plenty of bottom end and power but with a tad of that british tone. I see them as the JBL's or EV's of the british speakers, and I'm sure you'd like the sound of it through the twin. Or better yet, just buy one and use it with one of your EV's when it gets back, so you can get that huge twin sound with a tad of british tone.
                        2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

Originally posted by Quencho092
                          i'd try a set of Weber Thames speakers. They're voiced after the old hiwatt fane speakers, so you could get plenty of bottom end and power but with a tad of that british tone. I see them as the JBL's or EV's of the british speakers, and I'm sure you'd like the sound of it through the twin. Or better yet, just buy one and use it with one of your EV's when it gets back, so you can get that huge twin sound with a tad of british tone.

I tried 2 of my 4 original 70's Fanes in my Twin and was not that impressed...Faned sound best in a closed back cab to me...Im begining to think that I'll just wait until I find a place to recone my EV's

Comment

Originally posted by XSSIVE
                            i say you ask this guy if you can borrow a few of these and bust out the dremel (or sawzall) and make 'em fit hehehe

32" of fun!!

-Mike
                            Holly walkman earphone Batman.
                            Jackson, Ibanez & Ovation Guitars
                            Laney, Marshall & Peavey Amplification

((tube max dissipation wattage / amp plate voltage) x % of max dissipation wattage) x 1000 = bias current in mA

"There was never a horse that couldn't be rode, never a man that couldn't be throwed." - Marshall Matt Dillon - GUNSMOKE (1959)

Comment

Working...
                            X