anybody know...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anybody know...

...when the first octave dividers for guitar use came out? I know that the Boss OC-2 was in the middle/late 70's but what was before that? Who had the first one, and when was it?
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Re: anybody know...

no idea but i will say this...i love my OC-2!! it's one of my favorite pedals in my rig!

-Mike
    www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by XSSIVE
      no idea but i will say this...i love my OC-2!! it's one of my favorite pedals in my rig!

-Mike
      Bro...I don't leave home w/o my OC-2...it's an old MIJ model and it looks like HELL, but sounds great...
      If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

mine saved me with a song i was writing a few weeks back. we needed a part and i was lost as to what to play (which is honestly odd for me) so i stepped on the OC-2 and started noodling around and bam there was this great sounding part that just came out of nowhere! i think i'd sell my twistedcaster before i sold my oc-2 lol. NO neither will ever be sold...just making a point as to how much i love that little metallic brown box !

-Mike
        www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

I'll tell you this...I am a pedal junky, I carry more stomp boxes than the law allows in most states, and I love single channel amps and several different distortion/OD boxes...if I have a gig to do and I have to pack lite, I take my Twin (best Cleans ever) and a Strat and a Tele, one of my Pro Co rats, my Vox wah and my OC-2...

Comment

Roger Mayer designed the first octaver for Jimi Hendrix (67/68?), but Roger didn't trademark it or anything. This left a massive gap in the market for everyone trying to get the Hendrix sound. I can't remember the name of the company that first issued one but I've heard they're terrible. I'll try and find out for you, I'm sure I've got it in book somewhere.

-Benja
            Guitars:
            Epi LP (SH-11b + SH-55n)
            Danelectro U2 '56 Reissue
            Yamaha APX5LA
            Pedals:
            MXR Super Comp, HBE Power Screamer, Toadworks Death Rattle, Carl Martin Crunch Drive, Boss CE-2, Marshall Ed The Compressor, Marshall Drivemaster, Arion EQ, Bespeco Volume Pedal
            Amps:
            Fender Prosonic combo
            Marshall JTM60 combo

Comment

I should have been more specific...I know about Rogers upper octave stuff and the Tycobra (sp) stuff and all that...I was more talking about the sub octave stuff...I know that the MRX blue box came out pretty early on but it has a funky fuzz as well...Im talking about just a clean sub octave...who was first?

Comment

oh right, sorry G.W.I.F. My mistake. No idea about that. Sorry.
                Guitars:
                Epi LP (SH-11b + SH-55n)
                Danelectro U2 '56 Reissue
                Yamaha APX5LA
                Pedals:
                MXR Super Comp, HBE Power Screamer, Toadworks Death Rattle, Carl Martin Crunch Drive, Boss CE-2, Marshall Ed The Compressor, Marshall Drivemaster, Arion EQ, Bespeco Volume Pedal
                Amps:
                Fender Prosonic combo
                Marshall JTM60 combo

Comment

Originally posted by benjaturner
                  oh right, sorry G.W.I.F. My mistake. No idea about that. Sorry.

it's all good bro...

Comment

The dude in my local guitar shop told me NOT to buy an OC-2. Apparently, it's 'monophonic' and if you play anything other than a single note at a time (eg chord) then it sounds like ****.

I would have an OC-2 right now if he hadn't told me that.
                    Fender Guitars ~ Marshall Amps ~ Seymour Duncan Pickups

Match Made in Heaven

Comment

Originally posted by Robbiedbee
                      The dude in my local guitar shop told me NOT to buy an OC-2. Apparently, it's 'monophonic' and if you play anything other than a single note at a time (eg chord) then it sounds like ****.

I would have an OC-2 right now if he hadn't told me that.
                      This is the same with most (if not all) Pitch Shifter/Octave pedas. As the pedal can't work out/produce enough harmonies for each note in the chord.

Comment

Originally posted by Brow
                        This is the same with most (if not all) Pitch Shifter/Octave pedas. As the pedal can't work out/produce enough harmonies for each note in the chord.
                        Yup, octaves, pitch shifters, synth pedals and ring modulators all have this problem, all that I know of anyway.
                        "What frequency are you getting? Is it noise or sweet, sweet music?"

Comment

This is all true...the only way to do any pitch shifiting while playing more that one note is to do it with a guitar synth...I have gone through several octave down (sub octave) FX and IMO the Boss OC-2 is great...it's the one I always come back to...

Comment

I was told the OC-3 is 'polyphonic' and hence can handle playing a chord. It is however quite expensive.
                            Fender Guitars ~ Marshall Amps ~ Seymour Duncan Pickups

Match Made in Heaven

Comment

Working...
                            X