Just made my own bias probe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just made my own bias probe

Weber and Hoffman amps both offer D.I.Y. Bias probe kits. The weber kit inclued 3 resistors for some more options like reading plate voltage from pin 3 and cathode current from the DCV setting on your meter?? Well...I must have done something wrong? Cuz' I couldn't get any plate voltage reading? And the bias was way off? So being that the resistor values are 1 ohm,1 Meg and 100 ohm I figured had a brain fart. So I opened it back up and double checked. Everything looked fine? So after the third time I said screw this!
    I opened it up again cut the resistors out and wired it the Hoffman way. Yeah ! Now it works !! The good old KISS method Keep It
    Simple Stupid
    BTW, Yes...I know I'm lucky I didn't electrocute myself. I did double check myself B4 hitt'in the power.
    http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Re: Just made my own bias probe

That's cool KMC. I am glad it worked out for you.

I have had pretty good luck with the SRS stuff off Ebay (Hate to bring up Ebay).

I am taking it for granted the kit is for 8 pin tubes.

Great information though.
    Jackson, Ibanez & Ovation Guitars
    Laney, Marshall & Peavey Amplification

((tube max dissipation wattage / amp plate voltage) x % of max dissipation wattage) x 1000 = bias current in mA

"There was never a horse that couldn't be rode, never a man that couldn't be throwed." - Marshall Matt Dillon - GUNSMOKE (1959)

Comment

Originally posted by wixedmords
      That's cool KMC. I am glad it worked out for you.

I have had pretty good luck with the SRS stuff off Ebay (Hate to bring up Ebay).

I am taking it for granted the kit is for 8 pin tubes.

Great information though.
      Yup ! It's for a 8 pin. It's pretty simple to make (The Hoffman way) And Less than half it cost to buy a SRS.And the same Exact thing IMO. You just wire pins 1 thru 7. Drill a hole,solder one end to pin 8 base the other to pin 8 top.
      run it out to you MM set for DCA.Hoffman Bias Probe
      http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

Looks great KMC. I agree, it is very easy to build.

Great information for the do-it-yourselfers. Now when someone asks about a low cost bias solution, this is it.
        Jackson, Ibanez & Ovation Guitars
        Laney, Marshall & Peavey Amplification

((tube max dissipation wattage / amp plate voltage) x % of max dissipation wattage) x 1000 = bias current in mA

"There was never a horse that couldn't be rode, never a man that couldn't be throwed." - Marshall Matt Dillon - GUNSMOKE (1959)

Comment

Working...
        X