Silverface to Blackface ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silverface to Blackface ?

I have a "68 bassman that I would like to convert to blackface specs. I remember somewhere Lew had a really clear list of what was involved. I was wondering if some one could post that info again in this wonderful new amp forum.
    "shut up and play yer guitar" FRANK ZAPPA

Re: Silverface to Blackface ?

If it is a 68 it is the same circut as a BF already! Does it have the little chrome ring arounf the grill cloth?
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Yeah it has the chrome ring, but I thought it still had some extra caps or something in the preamp. It says AB165 on the tube chart, but I've heard those can be wrong.
      "shut up and play yer guitar" FRANK ZAPPA

Comment

Originally posted by FireBros.
        Yeah it has the chrome ring, but I thought it still had some extra caps or something in the preamp. It says AB165 on the tube chart, but I've heard those can be wrong.

The 68's were the first year of the SF and they ONLY changed the face colour and a few other cosmetic things...the circut is the same.
        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Anybody happen to have any info on the Vibrolux Reverb amps? I have one that was made in August of 1970 and would like it blackfaced.
          Originally posted by kevlar3000
          I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
          Originally posted by Zerberus
          Better is often the enemy of good
          Originally posted by ginormous
          Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Check the vault for Lew's post. I think every amp tech/Guru has their own Idea's on what a blackface mod should be. And it can vary from amp to amp.
            I'm on a fence about the Torres pre-CBS mod?? It did wonder's for my 77' Twin Reverb 135 watter. It was a cold a sterile amp to start with, But it did warm it up a bit. (Still had a silverface after taste tho?) But the Torres mod turnned my 79' Princeton verb. Into a harsh sounding Buzz box.
            http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

Working...
            X