favorite chorus pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: favorite chorus pedal

Aye, another vote for the TC Electronic Chorus/Flanger. The CE-2 is cool, too. Rich is dead on, IMO, in suggesting that you pick up a CE-3 and run it mono if you don't have a stereo rig. As far as I know, it's exactly the same circuit with stereo output.
    Mr. Way Too Proud of Texas Guy

Nothing nothing nothing, nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing.

Comment

thanks guys...keep them comming!!!
      If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

I like my Fulltone Choralflange, but it's not as dramatic sounding as some others like TC and Roland. I'm not a big chorus guy, so I use it as a swiss-army type effect, since it also does things like rotary speaker, flange, and mild chorusing. I use it last, so I can utilize it's stereo outs.
        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I love the Visual Sound H2O, the most underwater-esque chorus i have heard.
          "I believe the truth is not told between 9 and 5." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I had:
            Boss CE-5 / Nice but a bit subtle and a little weak sounding
            Boss DC-2 / Great sounds but sucked some high end off of the original signal
            Boss DC-3 / My favorite of the Bosses, clean and clear, different sounding than a
            regular type chorus, more spatial.
            Ibanez BC-9 / this is my current chorus pedal, I love this one. It's warm and has
            two choruses built into one pedal. They are different from each other
            and they mix into one output. Very smooth and cool!
            !

Comment

EHX Small Clone - Lushest chorus I've every used....it's so deep it's like you're going for a swim. It's a very dark sounding chorus when compared to a Boss, thus it's best suited for clean/mild OD and doesn't deal well with distortion unless you're going for an excessively sludgy sound.

EHX PolyChorus - It's mild settings sound almost identical to the Small Clone...and beyond that it's more or less just for wierd noises. Unless you just have to have it to play Radio Friendly Unit Shifter save your money and get the Small Clone.

VS H2O - The only chorus I've ever hated. I'll leave it at that.

Boss CE-1 - Very nice, but very noisy. I'd look at the Voodoo Labs clone before I spent what they want for an original.

Boss CE-2 - Very lush and rounded tone....no hi-fi sound here as it has a very vintage feel and rolls of the top end. Works well clean or dirty.

Boss CE-3 - The one I tried sounded like a CE-2.

Boss CH-1 - I didn't have a chance to use this very long, but I remember it being bright sounding. Not so great with cleans, but cut through distortion very well. For rather obvious reasons it nails the Zakk Wylde lead tone.

Boss CE-5 - Full range and high-fi sounding. Good for a more subtle chorus than the CE-2....I'd probably prefer this for acoustic over the CE-2. The tone knobs let you get somewhat CE-2 sounding, but it just lacks some of the feel of the older unit.

Boss CE-20 - F*cking killer unit.
              • Rich - One of the thicker sounding models, I use this when I need a Small Clone-ish sound. It's not perfect, but it get's the job done, and it is very lush.

• Bass - One word sums this up.....sludge. I find it too fat for clean work, but run an distorted preamp into it and it's heavy as hell.

• Acoustic - I have no idea how this setting sounds....I've only used it long enough to figure out that I don't like it with electric.

• Standard - I A/B'd this mode with my CE-2 before removing my CE-2 off my board. I managed to dial this setting in so close to the CE-2 that you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference if I wasn't A/Bing them.

• Dimensional D - This doesn't sound like a chorus "effect", but is more of a spacial enhancer (and lacks the swirly sound chorus's typically have). I have a hard time turning this mode off as it doesn't 80's my distortion, and it adds alot of 3D-ness to my sound.

• CE-1 - Nails the Metallica Black Album sound, but the CE-1 was never my favorite sounding chorus, so I tend to use the Bass, Rich, CE-2 and Dimension D modes more.

I should add that I run my rig in stereo....so my opinion of the Dimensional D and CE-1 modes may be different if it were run through a mono rig.

My vote for favorite chorus pedal is obviously for the CE-20, but it's expensive....and overkill if you're not big into chorus. Otherwise I vote for the Small Clone for cleans, the CE-2 for cleans/dirt, and the CH-1 for 80s dirt.

Also, if I were to get another Small Clone, I'd get the Analogman Clone chorus....just for the improved build quality and much smaller size.
              Last edited by some_dude; 09-04-2005, 08:32 PM.
              || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

thanks for the break down! I am replacing an original 70's EH Poly Flange (same as Poly Chorus but has a few more settings)...Im really leaning towards the Small Clone right now...
                Last edited by the guy who invented fire; 09-04-2005, 09:15 PM.
                If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Visual Sound H2o

Comment

Analog Man Stereo Clone Chorus
                    Originally posted by ImmortalSix
                    I am just jug the merlot

Comment

Working...
                    X