"British" sounding combo amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "British" sounding combo amp?

I'm looking to upgrade to a tube amp sometime within the next and was checking out some options for a 2x12 or 1x12 Marshall type ("british", whatever) sounding combo amp.

I've considered the Traynor Blue50, have been looking at some of the Classic 30 mods (can these be done on the other classic models?), and the Valve King. I am however unsure of what amp to go with. It has to be a combo, roughly 50 watts, and have a british type sounding distortion channel.

Thanks for the look, help, info.

Re: "British" sounding combo amp?

I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

what are you talking aobut when you say brittish...do you mean crunchy or are you talking about the hard brittsh midrange, what are you looking for? Also, what is your budget?
      If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Crate VFX5112

Traynor vcy50blue

Comment

Celtic Franklin 15 or 30

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

The YCV50 certainly fits the bill regardless of which deffinition of british you mean. The crunch channel is sort of a cross between AC30 top boost and old Plexi. Kick in the gain boost and it's a fully cranked JCM800.
            Originally posted by LesStrat
            Believe it or not, I started on drums. Then I decided to become a musician.

Comment

Laneys are british amps
              Guitars: Jackson Black Flametop SLSMG FullShred(A8)/FullShred w/Tonepros bridge
              Fernandes Revolver Pro 7-String, BKP Painkiller(A8)
              Amp: Laney VH100R and Splawn 2x12 cab
              Effects: John Spina modded SD-1, Morley Bad Horsie Wah, MXR 10-band EQ (OLD version)
              Recording/Practice: Line 6 Guitar Port

Comment

Rivera Chubster or Marshall JCM800 combo will both fit the bill, I think. But, they are also both better at mid to high gain crunch for a certainty. If you're looking for clean sounds, you can look into a Vox or Matchless.
                Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by suislidE03
                  Laneys are british amps

I second the motion. A Laney LC30 will keep up with a 100 watter.

Also, Suislide should win for best smiley.

There is lots of good stuff to choose from. Half the fun is finding it.
                  Jackson, Ibanez & Ovation Guitars
                  Laney, Marshall & Peavey Amplification

((tube max dissipation wattage / amp plate voltage) x % of max dissipation wattage) x 1000 = bias current in mA

"There was never a horse that couldn't be rode, never a man that couldn't be throwed." - Marshall Matt Dillon - GUNSMOKE (1959)

Comment

Those new Traynor blue 50s sound extremely brown to me. For 500.00 or so it is one of the best amps I have heard. Have not played the new Peavey line valve king?? But do want to hear one in action.

Scott, any clips yet? Really want to hear your amps in action.
                    ]
                    FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
                    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

Laney LC 50 Mrk II. Yumminess. And its really fleixble tube/speaker wise.
                      Lister: I am your god!
                      Cat: ( points at food ) If you're god, turn this into a woman!

Originally posted by Empty Pockets
                      i don't want to shoot at a guy holding my Les Paul, but I'd gladly shoot through a Fernandes that I paid $250 for.

Comment

Funny somebody mentioned the Chubster because I wanted to check it out too. I am looking for a amp which provides a smooth, not edgy distortion..can the chubster do this?

Also I listend to some Bogner Shiva clips..the EL34 sounded very smooth but the 6L6 VERY edgy and crunchy (you should check them out Closed Eye)..but EL34 should sound rawer, so I donīt get it..
                        Last edited by StrangeSound; 09-04-2005, 03:02 AM.
                        Originally posted by Guitarist
                        Honestly, I like Scott's words. "There is a rhythm to life. Ride the waves."

And keep in mind that while nothing lasts forever, nothing is lost.
                        http://soundcloud.com/adrian-czarnecki/tracks

Comment

The Shiva suxx!
                          Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                          My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by StrangeSound

Funny somebody mentioned the Chubster because I wanted to check it out too. I am looking for a amp which provides a smooth, not edgy distortion..can the chubster do this?
                            Depends on what your idea of "smooth" is...if you mean MESA smooth...then no...

Basically the gain channel is like Ben said...crunchy with the gain boost off...sounds very similar to an early Master Volume Marshall with a touch more gain on tap. With the boost on it's modded marshall, a little less crunch, more low and high end frequencies. I tend to prefer a pedal goose over the built in boost as I prefer the "crunchier" sound.

However, I'm into raw classic Marshall sounds, so with it's active EQ you very well might be able to get some really smooth tones out of the gain channel..but I still don't think it's ever going to come close to something like a MESA.

The Chubster is for those who want a great fender clean channel (tweed or blackface, and a does a decent JTM45 tone as well), and a Marshall gain channel in one amp.
                            I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Why don't you just get a Marshall? They've got a ton of combo amps that fit your requirements.

Comment

Working...
                              X