banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So WHY do different brands of tubes (of the same type) make such a difference in tone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So WHY do different brands of tubes (of the same type) make such a difference in tone

Of the same type of tube, why do different brands and the tone they produce vary so much?

Re: So WHY do different brands of tubes (of the same type) make such a difference in tone

Originally posted by Xeromus
    Of the same type of tube, why do different brands and the tone they produce vary so much?

Different materals, different methods, etc...think about it like this...there are tones of different string makers that make a nickle wound 10-46 set of strings, and they sound different
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Re: So WHY do different brands of tubes (of the same type) make such a difference in tone

Yeah that makes sense. I guess I already know the answer and it's kind of a dumb question.

Comment

lots of different brands are made in the same factory though.
        2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

How bout the same company's same type of tubes? I just switched out my sovtek 12ax7wb's for sovtek 12ax7lps's and the difference was immediately noticeable.
          Speak through your fingers

Comment

those two tubes were designed differently-lps standing for long plate spiral filament, and I'm pretty sure that the 12AX7WA's, B's and C's are named after their grade.
            2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

Originally posted by Xeromus
              Yeah that makes sense. I guess I already know the answer and it's kind of a dumb question.
              No, X, it's not really a dumb question to most people(we just spend way to much time on here and IMing with people on here, so were are über smart are this stuff ). It's a very good thread (thanks to TGWIF :P) with lots of good info(again, thanks to the guy).

okay, that was totaly aimed at noobs, I'm sorry noobs!
              Constantly wanting new gear...

Comment

At least we have choices today. In the 80's all the american tube companies quit making tubes and the Russian and Chinese tubes were not yet available. Everyone thought we'd be playing solid state for the rest of our lives!
                Trainspotter

"...the real key is a good warm delay and lots of lysergic acid diethylamid"

Comment

Vinterland: interesting to hear someone using the Sovtek 12ax7 LPS. Got one in the V2 slot in my Fender Blues Deville, but no one around here have ever heard about it. What´s your impression soundwize? What differs?

Comment

Originally posted by adrian
                    Vinterland: interesting to hear someone using the Sovtek 12ax7 LPS. Got one in the V2 slot in my Fender Blues Deville, but no one around here have ever heard about it. What´s your impression soundwize? What differs?
                    AFAIK, Slot 2 doesn't matter that much soundwise

7ender 7anboy.

Comment

Originally posted by Kommerzbassist
                      AFAIK, Slot 2 doesn't matter that much soundwise
                      You would be suprised, every position makes a difference. I am always messing around with different tubes and no matter what or where it will change the character of the sound. While it may not be as dramatic as say V1 it will still make very noticable changes. Fun to mess with.
                      ]
                      FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
                      http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

That is also my experience. I actually recently experimented and swapped the EH 12ax7 I had in V3 to a JJ ECC83. V3 is often said to be of no importance at all soundwize. To my surprise the amp became slightly less bright, some of the sparkle disappeared - so I changed back to the EH in V3, and there it was again. But OK, the difference was very very small.

Comment

Working...
                        X